Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long to feel help from foot trainer?

Posted by Judy B on 10/20/03 at 21:42 (134782)

I've been using the Foot Trainer for about two weeks - it makes sense to me, though not totally clear about all the exercises. I know everyone is different,but I wonder about others' experiences. I have what I think is mild PF, both feet, - for the last 3 1/2 to 4 months - I ignored it at first because was so mild I thought it would clear up on its own, and I didn't know what it was. then started to really hurt while dancing, I came home and found this web site and stopped going barefoot, switched to my old orthotics (I believe the new ones, which were defective and too thin and soft, triggered PF), started stretching, etc. Added Julie's Yoga stretches from this message board. Since then i get twinges or short periods of heel pain, but usually no trouble walking if I stay pretty slow and flat. Have cut back on walks and stopped dancing. But it wasn't getting better. So have tried the FT, and maybe had more pain for a while, now maybe back where I was. Have also started taking ground flax for anti-inflamatory properties. Am I too impatient? I know , everyone is different, but I'd like to hear others' stories.
Judy

Re: How long to feel help from foot trainer?

Ellen J. on 10/21/03 at 20:46 (134880)

Hi Judy,
For me it took awhile to see benefit from the foot trainers and I think it's similar to trying to get in shape--you have to go at it slowly and gently and give your muscles time to strengthen. I'm guessing it took me about 4 weeks before I could sense an improvement. Also, it seems that in addition to making the feet stronger, the foot trainer stretches the feet gently, which is good. But stretching too far before your feet are healed enough could set you back so you have to be cautious. When I bring the toes back toward the knee, I can feel a gentle stretch in the fascia and I didn't really think about that until I had been doing the exercises for awhile. I am not an expert on the foot trainers (or anything for that matter) but you'll just want to make sure you are doing the exercises gently enough that you are not overdoing it while your feet are healing up. If anyone wants to contradict me, feel free to do so--this is just my take on all this. Sounds like you are doing the right things so far and that you are paying attention to what your feet are telling you.
Hopefully you can get back to dancing soon. A friend of mine dances every thursday and absolutely loves it more than anything. If you are like her, you must really miss dancing--hope you can get back to it in the not-too-distant future.
Ellen J.

JudyS on 10/21/03 at 22:08 (134925)

Judy, I think Ellen makes a good point - using the PFT is like strength conditioning because that's essentially what it is. As you know, most physical conditioning takes a little bit of time before you feel results. I understand the PFT to target lower leg and foot muscles in order to strengthen them to, in turn, take the 'heat' off of the PF.
I haven't used the PFT for strength conditioning but I can tell you that my own experience with lower-leg strength conditioning definately helped to eliminate my PF pain.

Judy B on 10/27/03 at 14:19 (135757)

Thanks so much for your encouragement (and to JudyS too).

It makes sense, and it's what I needed. I am working on level 2 know, and I think there is some improvement. Yay!
Judy B