Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

View on Aging

Posted by Bob G. on 10/21/03 at 23:43 (134935)

First thing this morning, after warm-ups, I bent over to pick up something and got a sharp pain in my right knee, even with a solid knee-brace on - oh oh, I thought, maybe not - but I went ahead and headed for the beach for my morning walk/jog. After another twing I left the beach not wanting to hurt my knee/recovery. Knee pain and heal pain are similar in the ways they affect you. No heal pain, thank God.

This is just part of getting old. I'd give you my view on aging, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

Re: View on Aging, per George Carlin

Bob G. on 10/22/03 at 00:00 (134937)

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions. How old are you? I'm four and a half, going on five!

That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead. How old are you? I'm gonna be 16! You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16!

And then the greatest day of your life...you become 21.

Even sounds like a ceremony...YOU BECOME 21...YESSSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohhh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk. He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40.

Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50...and your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50, and MAKE it to 60.

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80's and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch, you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime.

And it doesn't end there. Into the 90's, you start going backwards, 'I was just 92!'

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a kid again. 'I'm 100 and a half!'

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!

Re: View on Aging

Necee on 10/22/03 at 00:19 (134941)

What an eye opener! Ever notice how old everyone looks at your high school reunion, and then you suddenly realize, you look just as old as they do!!

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 00:27 (134942)

That's sweet! My mother is 94, and people are starting to make a big fuss about her birthday. I think she likes that a lot. :)

I just keep wondering how people manage to live life after 70. If all the age related pains and troubles keep increasing, it would be hard to get around at all.

Mom used to be a big believer in activity, walking and moving around to combat age, and it seems to have worked pretty well for her. On the other hand, there are old people that say a pint of whiskey a day is a great way to combat age. Maybe you just have to believe in whatever your solution is, and be born with great genes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 00:30 (134943)

I've never been to one of my high school reunions, but I saw a photo of one and gazed at those old faces with glee! :)

It's fun to see that those shallow gorgeous teenagers I went to school with, got so much older and wiser. I went to high school in Honolulu, though, and I haven't seen anyone at all that I knew in high school since I was about 20.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/22/03 at 01:43 (134947)

smart man, bob!

n

nancy s. on 10/22/03 at 01:55 (134948)

honolulu, carole? i thought you must be a native NOLAer and that those sidewalks must've given you pf. not that i know what i'm talking about, having never been to NOLA! but almost did on the way to mexico, and maybe i'll make it next time.

this thing on aging from bob by george is great -- never saw it before, love it. i missed something, though: reaching 50. that was the year pf struck, so rather than reaching 50 i felt like i'd hit 80, poof, in just a few months. now time is sliding back. think i'm about 37 today, and next year will sink into about minus 5. good luck to everyone when that happens; it probably won't be pretty.

must be time for bed. g'night!

nancy

Pauline on 10/22/03 at 07:51 (134956)

I enjoy George Carlin and I enjoyed this post. One thing that I think we could add is a note about stealing.

It's funny when we're young your taught not to steal, but I guess when you reach old age it's ok. Taking every sugar packet on the table in a restaurant must be called something else after 60:*

Pauline on 10/22/03 at 08:07 (134961)

I took a group of seniors by bus on a trip to a brewery in Canada several years ago. After the tour the entire group was treated with a sample of the brew or pop and the company had small sandwiches and very large bowels of nuts on several tables.

Needless to say when we left the brewery every single nut and sandwich was gone. You'll notice I didn't say eaten, because they were not all eaten. Intead they were put in pockets, purses and yes even bras.

When we got to the boarder our bus was stopped and pulled over. I watched with a smile as the seniors gobbled down their hidden treasures thinking they might be checked individually and didn't want to be caught with the goods on them.

Shortly afterward, someone from the border police climbed on the bus to return a coat that was left at the brewery and everyone aboard smiled with relief and fuller tummies.

JudyS on 10/22/03 at 08:27 (134964)

With any luck, Bob, we'll all make it there together! Thanks for the giggles. :)

Rick R on 10/22/03 at 09:15 (134970)

Pauline,

My wife and I have been going to the same pizza joint since 1974 or so when it opened. We even went there the night we got engaged. In the last couple of years we started to compete with each other to see who can filch the most mints our our way out. I, of course, am the current record holder at 17. I supposed I should be alarmed that this may be a sign of aging. I'm not sure we are quite old enough for it to be cute, although, she's getting there.

Rick

nancy s. on 10/22/03 at 09:36 (134972)

rick, if you've mentioned that to your wife, i bet she thinks you're REALLY cute! and will increase your solitary confinement.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 11:07 (134981)

Yes, I went to high school in what was then a small rural town called Kailua, on the other side of the island from Honolulu. Now it's a suburb. Every day my parents and I made the trek over the mountains and through the tunnel (or around the beach roads if there was a landslide) to take me to school and them to work. My mother still lives in Honolulu, and my father is buried in a spot overlooking Kailua.

As an adult, I've lived for several years in each of seven southern and western states (eight if you count northern and southern California). I like New Orleans best, because it reminds me of home but the cost of living is so low here. The warm and sultry climate reminds me of Hawaii as much as anywhere else that I've lived. New Orleans is very cosmopolitan too (compared with, say, Baton Rouge or Meridian, Mississippi!). The bastardized French that some people speak here reminds me of pidgeon English back in Hawaii, except this is pidgeon French. New Orleans is also a small city, and I like that. It's got freeways but they aren't constantly jammed with traffic. And, life here is mellow and laid back, with plenty of laissez les bons temps rouler, sort of like Hawaii in that respect too. I've lived in Louisiana eight years now, and plan to spend the rest of my days here.

You are right. The sidewalks down in the French Quarter are awful on PF! They seem extra hard, and they are broken and uneven which seems to make things worse; plus, it's sometimes hard to find a convenient place to sit and rest or stretch. Although I love the Quarter I don't spend much time down there. I guess I'm usually just busy living my life, and besides I usually can't do much for a few days after going down there. I might go down there on Friday, since I have the day off work. There are a few antique stores that near the French Market that I want to prowl through. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 11:09 (134982)

Well, that didn't say at all what I intended and some things came out wrong. We lived in Kailua, and school and work were in Honolulu. My mother moved to Honolulu after my father died.

Carole C

marie on 10/22/03 at 11:16 (134984)

All to true. I love George Carlin. Saw him a miilion years ago while in college. All he did was use the f word every two or three words...wasn't that funny and I have to admit I was disapointed, it may have been a tough crowd or an off night. Still enjoy his humor.

marie

Rick R on 10/22/03 at 11:58 (134990)

Oh yea, she just thinks I'm a barrel of laughs with my old jokes. She's figured out that I like solitary confinement and has developed much more severe punishment. Like making me watch Martha Stewart, or depriving me of my adult beverage allowance. Yup I have here in her place....firmly in charge.

Rick

nancy s. on 10/22/03 at 12:12 (134991)

depriving you of your adult beverage allowance! now that's just not right, and i know john wouldn't approve either. i say, agree to watch martha stewart IF you are allowed a whopping adult beverage allowance for use during viewing. can't do one without the other!

nancy

Rick R on 10/22/03 at 12:21 (134992)

Well they both have similar mind numbing effects, so why not!

Rick

nancy s. on 10/22/03 at 12:52 (134995)

i agree, but don't you dare tell anyone.

nancy