Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Burning and Freezing

Posted by Margaret N on 10/22/03 at 00:03 (134938)

I have been experiencing painful burning in the bottom of my feet for over 20 years and now it has changed. In addition to the burning I can't wear closed shoes for any length of time because they get so hot when I'm on them. In the winter time when I am not moving my feet are painfully cold. My right foot is worse than the left. Also I am now getting swelling above my ankles but the right swells more than left. The swelling comes on quickly after I get out of bed and remains throughout the day. Swelling reduces some when I put my feet up or even when I just sit down. The burning on the bottom of my right foot between the toes and the arch goes away immediately when I get off of it. Sometimes I will lift my foot, if standing, to get relief. I have told every health care provider I've been to about my pain including MD's, DC's, Acupuncturists, and Massage Therapists. I have been to vascular surgeons who say my circulation is fine. A nerve conduction test was normal. I've been to one DPM who had no diagnosis but prescribed pain medication which I didn't take. I just heard about TTS and am wondering if this is the diagnosis. Any help and suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Burning and Freezing

BrianG on 10/22/03 at 09:44 (134974)

Hi Margaret,

Have you seen a Neurologist yet? Some of your symptoms sound a little like Neuropathy. They tend to prescribe anti-epileptics, such as Neurontin. Have you gone this route yet? It may help, if everything else has failed.
You can get more info at: http://www.neuropathy.org

Regards
BrianG