Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Active Healing Report

Posted by BrianJ on 10/22/03 at 10:13 (134980)

I've had bilateral PF for over five years now. You may recall that several months ago my doctor told me to gradually return to sports. His hope was that the increased activity would trigger a healing process. Well, here's what I learned: light to medium activity on soft surfaces such as dirt or grass seemed to increase circulation, improve my mood, and generally make me (and my feet) feel better. However, when I played a competitive tennis match on a hard court, it brought me back to painful reality very quickly. Thus, I'm going to continue being active, but limit myself to low-impact endeavors.

Re: Active Healing Report

R C on 10/22/03 at 14:04 (135001)

Thanks for the report, Brian.

I am about to take the opposite approach, and get my foot placed back in a cast for 4 weeks. My PF is much improved from casting 1.5 years ago, and from daily taping. But I think I've hit a plateau. For one think, I've found that I cannot go without tape, as the pain starts creeping back. My hope is that whatever healing still can take place will proceed unimpeded while my foot is immobilized. I intend to use crutches and never put my weight on the foot during the 4 week period.

Re: Low impact activity

R C on 10/22/03 at 14:54 (135007)

Brian,

Speaking of the active approach, though, I do notice that my bad foot feels much better (even un taped) after vigorous swimming, or cycling (stationary bike at low resistance). The advantage to these activities is that your injured feet are not bearing full weight, yet you are getting the full circulatory (and other) benefits. My gut feeling is that the swimming especially helped.

BrianJ on 10/22/03 at 16:15 (135018)

RC --

I have also noticed a pronounced decrease in my foot pain after swimming. The relief seems to last for a couple of hours before the pain gradually returns.

Good luck with your casting. I really hope it helps.

Rick R on 10/22/03 at 16:20 (135019)

Brian,

I too responded to a resumption of activity after many years of following Doctor's orders to hold the couch down. I went easy and gradually. The reverse of that process has also proved to be true. Due to an enormous workload I had to stop running. I am now far more vulnerable and have had several flair-ups. It's a major bummer after surgery, getting back to running 20 miles a week thinking all was well. I must admit I did anticipate that this would happen. I'm working on getting back to running now but need the right string of days to ramp back up, I'm still just a bit too busy.

Rick