Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stitches come out tomorrow

Posted by Chad H on 10/22/03 at 17:29 (135040)

Nothing really new to report. I started going back to work on Tuesday after having surgery the previous Monday. I am doing okay and trying to keep my leg up as much as possible.

I still feel the nerve pain in the tarsel tunnel area and have the occasional fireworks. I know it can talk up to a year for nerves to heal, but I am starting to think that these will never go away.

I am hoping for increased flexibility and less pain. I know it is going to take a lot of hard work once this cast comes off.

I have a chiro friend who would like to start ultrasound ASAP. Of course, I would need a removable cast. The doctor puts people in my stage in plaster casts, that way, you can't walk on them. I doubt I could convince him to put me in a removable cast at this stage. I will talk to him about ultrasound and scar tissue. My biggest issue is scar tissue and I need to do all I can to keep it from coming back.

Re: Stitches come out tomorrow

marie on 10/22/03 at 17:46 (135042)

Good to hear that you're ok. Take it easy.

Just think a year from now this will all be a faint memory.

best wishes marie

Re: Stitches come out tomorrow

Lari S. on 10/23/03 at 01:07 (135105)

Wow Chad, I am impressed! I had TTS surgery Oct.3 and just got the stitches out yesterday. It's amazing the different protocols that doctors use. I've read so many variations here. My doctor used a bulky cotton with a hard plastic base wrapped with an ACE type bandage and I've had to stay off the foot completely. Now I have gauze with a Co-Flex wrap. I start PT with ultrasound 3 times a week starting next week. He has had me doing exercises with the foot while it is still elevated for the past week. All of that is supposed to reduce scar tissue. Today was the first day I could put any weight on the foot while using crutches, but only for 15 minutes, and I add 5 minutes each day. I do that 4 times a day unless the foot starts swelling or becomes painful. So far, I have not had to take any pain pills this week. I'm still taking 900 MG of Neurontin and 600MG of Motrin. I have had occasional 'zaps', a LOT of minor 'twinges', but over all the foot feels so much better than it has in the last 3 years. He hopes to have me off the crutches and in a weight bearing boot by the end of the month,.

Hopefully your fireworks will decrease during the coming week. It really hasn't been that long since your surgery. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted.
Lari