Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Advo Bulk Mail question

Posted by Pauline on 10/22/03 at 18:22 (135050)

I'll say 'sore feet' first to cover the rules, but I have a question and I was wondering if anyone has an answer.

Does anyone know how you go about stopping Advo Bulk mail from coming to your home?

I understand that it can be done, but besides calling somewhere you also need the cooperation of your postman/woman.

Has anyone done this and had success?

Re: Advo Bulk Mail question

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 21:15 (135090)

Pauline, what is Advo Bulk mail? I'm sure it adds to the weight of your trash, and so it probably makes your feet hurt more on trash days. LOL

I couldn't resist. No, I haven't had luck stopping any bulk mail from coming to my home. I sort my mail over a trash can before even setting it down.

Carole C

Lari S. on 10/23/03 at 01:52 (135108)

Have you asked at the post office?
To tell you how much time I've had on my hands being laid up after TTS surgery, for 'fun' I've been taking the junk mail, mixing it up and sending stacks of it back in the postage paid envelopes. (I made sure my name was removed.) I sure hope they get the message.

Pauline on 10/23/03 at 08:02 (135112)

I'm thinking of saving it beginning Jan 1, 2004 till the end of the year to see how many bags of the junk I get.

nancy s. on 10/23/03 at 08:05 (135114)

now that, lari, is a very productive and creative way to spend time off your feet! wish i'd thought of it when i was laid up. on behalf of our junk-mail-overloaded society, i thank you.

nancy

Kathy G on 10/23/03 at 08:34 (135121)

Pauline,

What is Advo Bulk mail? Is it just a term for general junk mail? I sent a letter to an address provided by AOL a few years ago to stop junk mail and mine was cut down a great deal. They also provided an address to get yourself off the list for telemarketing calls. This was before the national registry. When I tried to find the addresses recently for my sister who gets about five phone calls a day, I couldn't find it. I remember you had make the request in writing and you had to renew in five years. My five years are probably coming up and I can't find the addresses. I swore I put them in the book I keep with important information I'm bound to forget, but I guess I forgot to put the addresses there!

When we get catalogs that we don't want, I always call them and ask to be taken off their list. It usually takes a couple of catalogs but it always works. I figure they don't want to waste their postage and catalogs sending them to people who don't want them. One of the toughest ones to stop was one that sold tobacco and cigars. Since no one in our family has ever smoked, I have no idea why they insisted on sending us their catalogs for several months!

Our town recycles all the glossies so at least they weren't a total loss. One year, a friend of mine had an autistic child in her class and he delighted in going through catalogs. I used to give her all my unwanted ones. I didn't give him the cigar ones though because I didn't think that was exactly what a readiness student should be looking at.

If I find those addresses, I'll post them!

Pauline on 10/23/03 at 09:08 (135128)

Post office term for junk mail.

Re: How to cut down on unsolicited mail and phone calls

Kathy G on 10/23/03 at 10:15 (135138)

I found the addresses, Paulin! Here's where I registered and it worked like a charm.

If you want to reduce the amount of national advertising mail you receive at home, send your name and address to the Direct Marketing Association's Mail Preference Service (MPS):

DMA Mail Preference Service
P.O. Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512

For telephone solicitation:

If you want to reduce the amount of national advertising calls you receive at home, send your name, address, area code and telephone number to the Direct Marketing Association's Telephone Preference Service (TPS):

DMA Telephone Preference Service
P.O. Box 1559
Carmel, NY 10512

You need to register every five years. It's amazing how effective this is. Hope it works for you!

Re: How to cut down on unsolicited mail and phone calls

john h on 10/23/03 at 10:32 (135144)

If you want to pay a couple of dollars a month to the phone company you can reduce your phone solicitations to almost zero. I use it and really do not totally understand how it works. It will also block calls from numbers that are blocked by the sender. Some calls you can pickup the phone and it will tell you who is calling and you can accept or reject. If the sender will not give there name you will not get the call.