Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Great weather, sore feet, whine but no cheese

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 18:28 (135052)

It was so beautiful today, that a couple of us from work decided to walk on our morning break, at about 8:30 when it's still cool and below 80. We walked briskly around the shopping center adjacent to work, which is supposed to be a mile. I bounced right along in my new 991's and was thrilled to death to feel that ol' heart pumping and my knees getting more flexible. My feet didn't hurt a bit, though they felt challenged and I thought, 'in my worst PF times, that stretching feeling in my arch would have been a torn feeling'. I kept paying close attention to them.

The walk was longer than I was ready for. When we got back, I was glad because I knew I had reached my limit, and I stated that I would rest tomorrow though I definitely wanted to walk again another day. I was looking forward to sitting still at my desk and working on some equations quietly for the rest of the day while my knees and feet rested a lot.

But as soon as I went upstairs, bingo! A fire alarm. I never thought walking down three flights of stairs could be that painful. I was surprised at what my feet and legs wouldn't do, and how much I had to rely on my arms and the hand rails as I hurried downstairs. Even the aged and infirm were able to hurry faster than me, though I felt I was really 'truckin''. I was the last one out. Even worse, it turned out to be a false alarm. Oh well.

By the time I got home, my feet felt like they'd been beaten with a club all day and my knees feel even worse. My achilles tendons are tighter than Elizabeth Smart's harp strings (I wonder what pitch they would produce?). My little toe was having BAD toe cramps, and that hurts! It stopped cramping so hard after I iced my feet. I need to stretch them after a while. Right now they feel too tight to stretch very much at all.

Fall is probably great for feet if you don't get too exuberant! LOL

Maybe I will try the gel coldpack on my knees now. I'll be ok in a couple of days, but I'm sure you all know exactly what I mean when I tell you that this gives me the willies. It's too much like back THEN.

Carole C

Re: Great weather, sore feet, whine but no cheese

marie on 10/22/03 at 18:38 (135061)

Cheers! I'm heading for my gel pak and frozen peas tonight. Take care.

nancy s. on 10/22/03 at 18:49 (135064)

carole, the editor in me wanted to re-spell 'whine' for you, but i see you knew exactly what you were doing! what an unpleasant way to end a beautiful walk. hope you feel better soon.

fall really makes me exuberant too. can't help it. everything just wants to fly loose.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 19:01 (135066)

Me too. I think that if I wasn't so out of bounds and exuberant when I do things, maybe I wouldn't have PF. When men get this age they forget they are not kids any more; they play basketball with the 18 year olds and injure themselves.

Not me. We women are so much wiser. I manage to do the same by just walking. Oh well.

Carole C

JudyS on 10/22/03 at 19:17 (135069)

Ah yes Carole - the 'ole PF willies! I sure do identify with your description but I'll bet this'll be very temporary for you. After all, you did work those muscles out pretty well with your walk. They probably had plenty of time to stiffen up before the fire alarm went off.
Hope you can have a sweet soak in the tub tonight. I seem to remember your writing the 'formula' for that!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 19:34 (135072)

Good idea... I think I'll get out my 'Night Blooming Jasmine' bubble bath and try that, in a while. Then maybe stretch a little.

Thanks for caring, and it's great to be able to post here, where there are other people that know exactly what I mean about the PF willies. LOL

Carole C

marie on 10/22/03 at 20:13 (135077)

Uh Oh. 'We women.......' sorry Carol couldn't resist. Peace. Hope you feel better in the morning. Sometimes ice, ibuprofin cream and a good nights rest does the trick.

Suzanne D. on 10/22/03 at 20:48 (135085)

Oh, Carole, I'm so sorry that you had that unexpected long walk down the steps after your morning walk. I think steps are the worst on knees, don't you? But I am glad you enjoyed the bounce in your walk in your new shoes in the cooler morning temperatures!

I know exactly what you mean about the 'PF Willies'! It's a real fear rooted in the remembrance of all that pain! But I'm sure this will be short-lived, and I am certainly sending you my best wishes for improvement tomorrow. @};-

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/22/03 at 21:04 (135088)

Thanks, Suzanne! @};-

Carole C

Necee on 10/22/03 at 23:51 (135102)

Carole, I hope that you've rested by now, and that your feet have settled down since that exciting morning episode.
I bet if you had know about that fire alarm, you'd have passed on the morning walk. I'd say you got your exercise in for the day and then some!
Take care and let us know how you're doing.

Happy trails...
Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/23/03 at 06:47 (135109)

Thanks, Necee. This morning my feet feel a lot less painful, but still tired and my knees still hurt so I don't think I'll go for a walk today.

You are right! If I had known about that fire alarm, I wouldn't have chosen yesterday for my walk. Or, I would have just stayed at my desk during the drill. :)

Yesterday sure was a beautiful day for a walk, though!

Carole C

Re: Carol, what's a blue norther?

Kathy G on 10/23/03 at 08:40 (135123)

Glad your feet are feeling better but what in the world is a blue norther? You said you were expecting one in New Orleans this weekend. I assume it's cooler weather?

We're having snow as I write so we'd be glad to send that down to you. It's already melting on the lawns but it doesn't bode well. Last year we had our first flurries before Halloween, too. It used to be Novemeber before we saw any flakes -- besides the human kind who we see on a regular basis. For that matter, many consider me to be one of those!:D

nancy s. on 10/23/03 at 14:40 (135171)

'the pf willies' -- good term! i still get them from time to time, no question about it.

maybe it's good we get them: a reminder to be careful?

but they're no fun! i hope yours are fading today.

nancy

Re: Carol, what's a blue norther?

Necee on 10/23/03 at 15:32 (135178)

I think a blue norther is when the wind blows strong out of the north, the tempertures drop quickly, and you can actually see it coming....the northern sky turns a dark royal blue color.

Send the snow our way!!! I'm ready for it.

Happy trails to you........

Necee