Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

has the boot worked for anyone?

Posted by heather on 10/22/03 at 23:08 (135100)

my docter has given me a boot that i am supposed to wear always I am just wondering if anyone has seen this help pf.It hurts to lift the heavy boot when walking it seems to be doing more harm than good.or anyone wore a cast he wants to do that next then surgery.

Re: has the boot worked for anyone?

nancy s. on 10/23/03 at 08:18 (135116)

hi heather: is it a removable air cast you're wearing? i wore one for 7 weeks at the worst point, and it was heavy. i think it helped my tendonitises more than my pf, but here are three suggestions for you:

1. even though you *can* walk in the cast/boot, you should still be making every effort to stay off the foot. its purpose is still to help you rest your foot. i wouldn't try to walk in it for long in the course of any given day.

2. have you tried putting an insert into the cast/boot to help with support?

3. have you built up whatever you're wearing on your other foot so that the height of each foot off the ground is equal? i know that's a lot of building up, but it's important. if the other foot is lower, you're throwing off your gait in a way that could possibly cause other damage, and it means having to 'lift' the cast/boot more as you walk.

hope this helps -- good luck to you.

nancy

Pauline on 10/23/03 at 09:03 (135126)

I found as Nancy indicated that both a cast and boot did change my gait to the point of causing lots of pain in the other arch.

Doctors don't seem to compensate for the fact that both a cast and boot are higher than the other shoe that your wearing and it throws you hip out of alignment and seems to put extra stain on the opposite arch.

To be honest, I was worse after each and will never wear another cast or boot for P.F. My cast and boot days are over unless I break a bone that required it for repair.

JudyS on 10/23/03 at 10:59 (135148)

Pauline - my experience with a boot and a cast was similar to yours. I'm convinced that it caused a secondary tendonitis in one foot. One thing I don't understand about casting for PF is - why make it a walking cast? Isn't the idea to keep weight off the foot?

Pauline on 10/23/03 at 22:14 (135216)

One would think so. Wearing a walking cast is like putting a high heel on one foot and a flat on the other. Your back and hip are thrown out and the weight transfer to the other foot increases or begins your next case of P.F. in the opposite foot.

If you have an atypical case the hard cast pressed firmly against your arch simply causes more infammation because of the pressure. Six weeks later you end up with a stiff ankle and in worse pain.

Had they cut the entire arch out of the cast or supported only the outside edges of my foot, my arch may have heeled instead of getting worse.

The things that helped me the most were Dr. Reynolds Jade cream and taping. I just used Target's athletic tape. It gave me enough support without pulling off my skin at night. I still use in on occassion if I'm going to do a lot of walking. Needless to say I'm still using Doc Reynolds cream too for a variety of things besides my arches.

I wonder how that N.Z. study he mentioned is going? It probably takes a while to get results. Hopefully he'll post their findings.

Re: has the boot worked for anyone? -- is Lynda S. here?

nancy s. on 10/23/03 at 22:22 (135217)

i promised quite a while ago that i would send lynda s. the two unused tubes of jade balm i have. now, many months later, i've finally found them. if lynda is reading, i'd still like to send them to you. jade didn't help me, but i know it helped others. if lynda isn't still here, is anyone in need of a couple of free tubes?

nancy

Pauline on 10/24/03 at 10:29 (135264)

Nancy,
You can always use it on burns, eczema, cuts, diaper rash, etc. Dr. Reynolds has a list of other uses. I get one with every order. If no one takes you up on your offer use it as handcream this winter when your fingers start to crack if that happens to you.

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 11:12 (135277)

i hadn't thought of that, pauline, but of course it makes sense. thank you!

nancy

Lynda S. on 10/25/03 at 21:03 (135559)

Nancy S.

I just read your e-mail and I am still here. The Jade cream worked for me and I have ordered more since, but if you're unable to use it, I would be happy to receive it. You can e-mail me for my address.

Thanks a lot.
Lynda

(email removed)

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 21:45 (135573)

terrific, lynda. here goes....

nancy

Lynda S. on 10/26/03 at 08:23 (135595)

Nancy S;

I'm not too smart with computers, but I couldn't find your e-mail address to send you my address. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 08:48 (135596)

lynda, i sent you an email last night -- clicked on the address you gave in this thread. you haven't received it? it hasn't come back to me as undeliverable. i'll resend; please let me know if you get it.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 09:18 (135601)

lynda, i re-sent it, but you haven't received?

it's ok, though -- i just found your old one to me, with your mailing address. is your address still the same as it was in june 2002?

i'll be away for a few days after tonight and can send out the package on wednesday (and i'll enclose a printout of the lost-in-cyberspace email!).

nancy

john h on 11/04/03 at 16:45 (136376)

i used a walking temporary cast for 3 months-it was sturdy and used velcor to hold onto the calf-had to waear it any time i stood up,it helped me from the instant i wore it-before i had injured the left heel and develped pf symptoms were it felt like walking on a razor blade in the heel- no pain with the cast-i guess it prevented any flexion/stretching and myabe lifted the heel up a bit..the only problem became that the metall support rods started breaking trhu the side material allowing the foot to flex