Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Custom Orthotics

Posted by Theresa F on 10/23/03 at 12:47 (135160)

I have been suffering with PF for a little over a year. I had custom orthotics made two months after the onset. Initially they seemed to help but about six months ago the arch pain got much worse. I stopped wearing the custom orthotics and switched to a softer OTC brand. Every once in awhile I try the custom ones but after a few days things really start to flare up. Now I am thinking maybe I should try getting new orthotics made. My question is what is the best method for casting the orthotics. I was lying down when the podiatrist cast me the first time. Now I hear that you really should be cast when you are standing up. Is there really a preferred method?

Re: Custom Orthotics

Dr. Z on 10/23/03 at 13:08 (135163)

In most cases the best way to align and control abnormal foot function is to cast the patient lying down while placing the foot in what we call a neutral position. Why don't you go back to your orginial doctor and see if he can adjust the orthosis?

Theresa F on 10/24/03 at 11:45 (135296)

Actually he did adjust them once already but it didn't really make much of a difference.

x

dr ben pearl on 10/24/03 at 20:42 (135397)

different methods of casting have different advantages
DRBP

Dr. Z on 10/25/03 at 14:05 (135501)

Why don't you try the powerstep inserts . You can find it on this site