Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

future complications Plantar Faciitis

Posted by Lanier M. on 10/23/03 at 13:57 (135166)

I have suffered from PF for about 6-8 months now. The conditions was identified while I was serving in Operation Iraqi freedom. The pain was so intense that I was removed from the combat area and sent home. I am now in the process of being medically discharged from the Army. I am no longer able to run, road march or do airborne operations because of this condition. I am concerned that this situation will worsen. I actively stretch and ice my feet. I try to run, or do anything on my feet for long periods, I will be in serious pain for the next few days (to the point that I cant walk). I am also starting to have pain in my knees and lower back. What are the long term effects of PF and will it lead to any other conditions? Thanks

Re: future complications Plantar Faciitis

BrianJ on 10/23/03 at 15:04 (135172)

Hi Lanier --

First of all, thank you for serving our country in the armed forces. All of us owe a debt to you.

To answer your question about PF -- PF is very 'case specific' so it's hard to say what the future implications are for a given person. Please read 'The Heel Pain Book' on this site if you haven't already done so. Be careful with your stretching, as stretching (especially aggressive weight-bearing stretching)has made many of us worse. Try taping, as it is safe, cheap, and can control your pain as you search for better remedies.

Hope this helps. Please keep us apprised on how you're doing.

BrianJ on 10/23/03 at 15:10 (135174)

Lanier --

One more thing, please note that I'm not a doctor, though my years of PF experience should qualify me for some sort of honorary degree! Also, you may want have a work-up (X-rays, MRI) to rule out the possibility that your foot pain is being caused by a back problem. There's a condition called spinal stenosis that can cause pain in the lower extremeties.

Rick R on 10/23/03 at 15:19 (135176)

First things first, thank you for your service to our country. Now as for the long term prognosis; one of the lessons learned here for me is just how differently our various experiences with PF can be. You will find an almost universal suggestion from the heelspurs old timers to read the 'book' and research this site extensively prior to mapping out a course of action. I started the process in 1983 in my late 20's and spent many years of suffering and eventually surgery, that I now believe to have been needless. I was able to return to running by 1997. I'll never be good as new which evedentially wasn't all that good to begin with. I could lead a normal life now but I haven't given up on being more active than that.

I suspect that if I discovered the techniques I use now back in 1983 or 1984 ......,I would have been able to fully recover. I didn't have a real spur for many years. Those years of 'undertreated' PF caught up to me at some point.

You have such an advantage in this information age, we are here to help.

JudyS on 10/23/03 at 16:10 (135183)

Brian, for you:

(That HD is 'Doctor of Humanity')

You've earned this brand-new degree and you've especially earned the right to be it's first recipient!

john k on 10/23/03 at 16:33 (135186)

Being a 100% disabled vet myself I would like to encourage you to be very sure you get a copy of all your medical records and make sure they are complete. I don't know what kind of disability rating you are going to get when discharged but you will be dealing with the Veterans Administration from here on out. If you are unable to work due to your condition put in a claim for Total Disability for Individual Unemployability. Don't expect good care from your local VAMC. The military is probably going to grossly under rate your percentage of disability. If you have a problem go to Hadit.com where you will be welcomed by many other disabled vets with all kinds of problems. It is hell to be disabled at an early age but get the money. You can worry about recovery after you get you compensation. This website is very good and they know much about foot problems.

john k

Suzanne D. on 10/23/03 at 21:13 (135211)

May I also add my thanks to you for your service to our country, Lanier. **==

I am sorry for your pain; we DO understand! (Although I hasten to say that I don't know what it feels like to have PF pain while in army boots overseas!)

I'm no doctor, either, but I have dealt with PF for over 2 years and am improved - mostly because of what I have learned on this site!

I do know that with PF pain, one often walks 'differently' to try to alleviate the pain, and that in itself can cause back and knee pain. Of course that might not be the case with you, but it was for me.

Best wishes to you, and I hope you find improvement soon!
Suzanne :)

Lanier M. on 10/24/03 at 14:33 (135351)

THank you all for your help and input on this situation. It makes serving worth it to hear from great people like you. But that is one of the many things that make this country great. As for my VA benefits, the Army is giving me a very tough time, and it seems that it does not want to pay any benefits or disablity. The docs are claiming that this condition exsited prior to service, and that it was not aggrivated by combat operations. Please be in prayer for our soldiers, sailors and marines. I am in a medical hold unit here in the states that is now being profiled on CNN / FOX for mistreatment of reserve and national guard returning vets.

john k on 10/24/03 at 16:16 (135366)

If there is anyway for you to go to http://www.hadit.com I hope you will go to that site. I am an old Vietnam vet and I know how bad the Army can be about disabilities. Whatever you have to do to get that PF service-connected you need to do it. This is the key to what happens in the future...service-connection! How the hell can the army say that marching and walking around all over Iraq is not aggravating your condition. They are responsible for this problem. They are just BSing you and trying to get you to accept less. Can the inspector general's office or the Legal officer help you? You have risked your life for the U.S. and now we owe you! If you have to crawl to sick call to illustrate you injury do it. I know they are trying to harass you into just accepting some kind of general discharge for preexisting condition. Don't let them do it, the bastards.

I was 100% disabled when I got back from Vietnam and they threw me out of the service. I got service-connected however through the VA and my medical records. I got my discharge upgraded to honorable. Don't let my attitude put you off because I got a good screwing from the Army. They know that once you are service-connected they are going to have to compensate you and provide medical for the rest of your life aqnd this is why they are mistreating you. You can email me and I will try to help you. There are a lot of people just like you who have been disabled in service.

john king

john k on 10/24/03 at 16:24 (135367)

If I remember correctly you are a RVN vet. What they are doing to Lanier is typical Army BS and is a scandal. This soldier is probably a young guy and is going to have to live with this problem the rest of his life. This really burns me up as you can tell. How can these jerks say that being a foot soldier would not aggravate a foot problem? Anything that happens to you in service is service-connected. I am sorry for ranting like this to everyone but this really gets my goat. By the way, have you heard from the other Vietnam John?

john king

BrianJ on 10/24/03 at 16:37 (135371)

Hi John K --

No, I am not a vet, but my father saw air combat (Marines) in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam. Thus, I tend to think very kindly of those who have served our country.