Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cronic pain after bunion surgery

Posted by La Verne D. on 10/23/03 at 18:41 (135193)

I had bunion surgery on my left foot 4.5 years ago. The metatarsal was cut, repositioned, 2 metal pins inserted, and the tendon reattached. The doctor said I would be feeling great in 6 to 8 months. I have had more severe pain post surgery than I ever had pre-surgery. I did a round of P/T sessions right after the surgery. In July 2002, I had the two pins removed thinking that might be causing the pain, did not help at all. The pain is directly on top of the metatarsal going down to the joint of the big toe. It is not a sharp burning sensation. It is a dull aching throbbing sensation, actually feels like it is in the bone. It is very painful to put my full weight on this foot, my balance is not very good now and any walking is painful and I start limping. I cannot where any shoes with any kind of heel (not even 1'). In fact, I cannot find any shoes that are comfortable and I have spent hundreds of dollars trying all different kinds of shoes. The only time I feel any amount of relief is when I have my foot up. All x-rays and the MRI show nothing. I have had steriod injections twice, no help. Then 3 weeks ago i received the shot with the medicine (I do not know the name) mixed with the alcohol that is suppose to destroy the nerve. . .I had a severe reaction to that, tremendous brusing and blusters resulting with an open sore that got infected. Now I am facing 'exploritory' surgery. My doctor thinks the main nerve running ontop of the metatarsal is causing the problem, but it really doesn't feel like a sharp stinging sensation. I have an appt with the doctor on 10-28. My doctor came highly recommended and is completely baffled by this. I wish I had never had the surgery, this has been a real nightmare for me. If anyone can give me any information of what might be the problem by 10-27, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
La Verne

Re: cronic pain after bunion surgery

Dr. Z on 10/26/03 at 13:47 (135648)

Have you had a nerve conduction studies and or a confirmation evaluation by a neurologist?. It looks like the exploratory operation is the best way to take a look and try to see what is going on.

La Verne D. on 10/26/03 at 15:09 (135661)

Thank you for your question. The answer is no I have not and the doctor hasn't mention either of them. I will ask him when i see him on the 28th. I am willing to go through the exploratory surgery if that is the only way to identifiy the problem, but if another method/procedure will be helpful, i want to know that as well. Thank you very much for your response. At least now I have a wee bit more information.
Regards,
La Verne

BrianG on 10/27/03 at 10:03 (135736)

Hi La Verne,

When I was going thru my testing earlier on, my Pod.told me that a bone scan would show more than an MRI. Just something to think about, before you go under the knife again. Have you told your doctor about your chronic pain? Has he offered to give you anything to make life more bearable?

Good luck
BrianG,not a doc

Mar on 10/27/03 at 12:01 (135747)

My heart goes out to you. I also had bunion surgery 2 1/2 years ago and have chronic pain far worse than before the surgery. Before you have more surgery, be sure to get a couple of opinions. I have 4 different opinions from 4 different doctors -- not very reassuring to have more surgery! Good luck! Mar

Dr. Z on 10/28/03 at 08:53 (135836)

Hi

An mri is a much better diagnostic tool. A bone scan will show increase blood flow to area but won't tell you what the cause is. It is very good for monitering bone infection. The mri is the gold standard to rule out fracture, tendon, ligament, joint surface changes.