Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Myers-Brigg's

Posted by wendyn on 10/23/03 at 22:59 (135222)

Does anybody here know what their Myers-Brigg's type indicator is?

I took a class last weekend and evidently I'm an ENTJ (which explains a lot about me). Was just curious if anyone else knew what their indicator is.

Re: Myers-Brigg's

Carole C in NOLA on 10/23/03 at 23:25 (135223)

I haven't taken it, but after reading your post I read about it online at a dozen or so websites. I'm probably an ESTJ. It sounds boring, but that's how it seemed to develop as I read.

Carole C

Bob G. on 10/23/03 at 23:50 (135227)

I've been through similar stuff, personality types, Dominate, Proper, Adventous, Cooperative...

What it all boils down to is the MATURITY of the people involved. No matter what your type, it is the MATURITY of the individual that determines whether they can get along and work well with others.

If you take two opposites, ie, an Adventurous spirit and a quite, proper librarian or engineer, for example - if they are both MATURE, they will work well. But if one, or both, is immature, they will experience problems.

But if you want to spend your money, they're hustling you. That's my take; hope that helps.

wendyn on 10/24/03 at 06:32 (135233)

Actually Bob, my teacher is certified in Myers-Brigg's, so we did a condensed version that was just free.

I just thought it was funny because my results sound SO much like me.

Rick R on 10/24/03 at 07:40 (135238)

You becha. I'm an ESTJ. The generalization of such a critter is: Fact minded, practical, analytic, systematic, more interested in getting the job done than in other people's feelings except for Wendy's. An ESTJ Prayer: God, help me to not try to run everything, but if you need some help JUST ASK!.

Now you my dear ENTJ, are intuitive, innovative, organizer, aggressive, analytic, systematic, more tuned into new ideas than the feelings of others unless their feet hurt. An ENTJ Prayer; God help me slow downandnot rushthrough whatIdoAmen.

So, while I'm collecting data and getting absorbed in the numbers you make a decision by gut feel. While you are contemplating some new approach to a challenge I get it done.

This is very cool stuff and quite usefull. Have you had your conflict profile done yet? I forget the name of the tool.

Have you ever heard of the Klein test?

Rick

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 09:53 (135259)

a customer in my shop recently brought in a myers-briggs book and did the test on me (free -- she was curious). it took forever but was fun anyway.

i came out borderline INFP/ENFP. i forget what these mean, except for the first initial, which stands for 'introvert' or 'extrovert.'

rick, you sound like you really know your stuff. (who would've thought it?!) do you know what my general profile is considering the other initials? you don't have anything better to do today than look this up, i'm sure, heh heh.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 10:12 (135260)

carole, you can't be boring because you were too funny day before yesterday.

nancy

Rick R on 10/24/03 at 10:15 (135262)

Oh let's see, INFP that's the serial killer profile, na just kidding.

INFP's are Imaginative independent, helping, reflective,empathetic inquisitive, loyal to ideals. They may have a tendancy to be more interested in possibilities than practicalities. The ENFP comes with a dose of warm enthusiasm and impulsive energy. You may have a tendancy to need help staying focused.

What's interseting about all this is how each profile can play an important role in an organization, and life for that matter. Part of I'm supposed to be able to do in my job is build a team that compliments one another. Too many bull headed get it done types (kind of like my profile and Wendy's) without the reflective step back and look from 30,000 ft and did we crush any spirits in the process reflections(more of your type) isn't healthy.

Looking at this type of data can help explain how we can see things very differently. It can also illuminate how much we need one another for balance in the real world.

Rick

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 11:24 (135281)

i'm glad you corrected that first comment, rick. my serial killer days are over.

you expressed the need for different types in organizations (and the world) very well. your job must be pretty interesting, and you sound like you must be good at it.

i get all types in my antiques shop, but fortunately i don't have to put them together -- because as an INFP/ENFP, i doubt i'd be any good at it! opposites do manage find each other in there sometimes, though, and when that happens it's not a dull day.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:38 (135289)

Nancy, you are an INFP/ENFP? My gosh! I am about exactly opposite. I'm an ESTJ. Maybe that is why I find your posts to be so surprising and delightful.

Or maybe it's just that you are YOU. :)

Carole C

JudyS on 10/24/03 at 11:44 (135294)

It is what it's title indicates, Wendy - a 'type' indicator. I work in the Career Center at our local community college and it's computerized analytical program for job search is Please Understand Me. Many of our students use it to further explore career choices that may lend themselves to personality type.
I took it once - but I'm a Gemini so it couldn't 'type' me! :)

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 11:45 (135295)

bless your heart, carole, thank you! and right back to you.

nancy

Rick R on 10/24/03 at 11:53 (135298)

Did I ever happen to mention my love for antiques? Heck I even married an older woman. I'm looking to get an old clock going now. I have researched it back to the 1840-50 timeframe. It appears to be one of the few family relics left that made the waggon trip from New York to Michigan. I used to drive a 1947 Chevy to work in the 80's. I tend to use old stuff not just have it hanging around, wife included. My mother is currently taking care of MY SPOONS several of which date to the 1700's. We still use them for Christmas and such. I'm kicking myself for letting a parlor stove get away from me. It was going for $75 and just perfect. Dang.

Rick

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:03 (135301)

you are lucky to have that great and old of a relic from your ancestors' wagon trip! wow. i'm envious. i do have small antique mementos from ancestors, but none that old. (probably the oldest is a very large all-silver spoon -- i'm talking a foot and a half long -- with the marriage date, 1892, and initials of my great-great-grandparents.)

it always warms my heart to know that antiques are being used and not merely looked at. therefore, i'm pleased that you use your wife.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:06 (135304)

correction: 1882.

Rick R on 10/24/03 at 12:23 (135310)

Cool. I also have my GG Grandfather's pocket watch from 1871. It keeps great time. You may well be aware that back in that time the pocket watch was a symbol of adulthood similar to the automobile today. You had arrived once you needed to give a hoot about time, and had the coin.

Rick

john h on 10/24/03 at 12:23 (135311)

Rick: I learned to drive in a 1937 Dodge. Heck when I was flying a U6A Beaver (made in Canada) and the battery was low I had to crank it with a crank on the side of the plane and then jump in the plane while the inertia starter was still spinning and fire up. A lot of the outback planes probaly still have hand crank starters as if you get stuck in some way out place in Alaska or Canada you have a good chance of a dead battery. The first car I owned was a 1942 Plymouth which I think was one of the last cars made until after the war. It quit on campus one year in the 50's and I just left it parked there and never have heard about it since.. .

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:32 (135316)

john, i think your '42 plymouth is the car that's in a ditch down by the pier here. i'll give it your regards.

nancy

Rick R on 10/24/03 at 12:43 (135321)

John,

Do you think it's too late to go back and get it? My 47 still had the hand crank. The old 216 straight 6 could start that tank in third. I could slow the RPM down so far you could read the part number on the harmonic balancer as it turned. In the winter of 79- 80 whenever the heck it got down to -26 my 47 was one of the only things running. My 69 Buick fired up as well. I have warned my wife I plan on getting a model A or that vintage or so if we ever crawl out from under tuition payments. There's probably a wedding or two down the pike to screw up the works as well. I'd love a Model T but I know I'd drive it.
Rick

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:47 (135323)

rick and john: one weekend every summer we have an antique car convention here. they parade all over town from friday night to sunday. what a bunch of gorgeous specimens! you would love it. i do, and i know nothing about cars.

nancy

JudyS on 10/24/03 at 12:49 (135325)

ah Rick I sure do empathise - we're 'crawling out' from under tuition payments come December.......that is until grad school!
And you're so right - 'old' anything is just plain sweet - as I'm sure your wife is :)
In fact, I have a couple of favored pieces from Nancy's old barn antique shop - you know, the one where the hard-orthotics sculpture has been erected....

Rick R on 10/24/03 at 12:56 (135330)

I must admit to being blessed with a wonderful wife, but I'm taking credit for picking her out. Fortunately she likes old stuff too, good thing or I'd be SOL in more ways than one.

John H on 10/24/03 at 13:59 (135342)

Winthrop Rockefeller has a wonderful collection of antique cars located in the mountains of north Arkansas. You would not find this place by accident. I was up there last month. You can sit in a small inn looking down into the valleys and mountains for many miles. How Rockeffer ever made it to Arkansas I will never know. He is our Lt Governor and his brother was Governor some years ago.

John H on 10/24/03 at 14:07 (135344)

What I remember best about those old cars was there was not much you could not fix yourself. A straight 6 with a two barrel and not much that you could not handle in the driveway. Most of these girls never had the thrill of being with your guy in a rumble seat. Of course, a thrill in the 50's or 40's is not what it is today. 3 or 4 dates before you even got a little kiss. S E X! we did not even speak the word. If there is anyone out there that can remember the first sex education picture I think that was ever shown in public theaters then you will remember 'Mom and Dad'. Boys and girls could not see it at the same time so one day was for girls and another day for boys. Strange thing! I do not remember a thing about it except where it was.

Re: Antiques

wendyn on 10/24/03 at 14:19 (135348)

I have a bunch of postcards written by my grandfather's aunt (I think) back in about 1902.

Re: Antiques

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 16:10 (135362)

good, wendy, and i'll accept your donation of them to my shop at any time. i have a special affection for old paper stuff (ephemera).

nancy

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 16:13 (135365)

a sex education picture was shown in public theaters in your day, john? wow! i guess things have regressed since then!

nancy

Re: antiques!

marie on 10/24/03 at 17:56 (135384)

My son collects pocket watches. Is there a serial number. My son has been able to date some of his watches and an old clock that came from my husband's side of the family. I'll ask him for the link to the site he uses.

I love antiques. I like old stuff too. I love to look through antique stores and shops. My latest prized purchase was the first issue of Rolling Stone Magazine. It's so cool...brought the 60's right back. Tomorrow I'm going to purchase a large beveled glass window to put between a pair of pillars in our library. Our home has several beveled glass windows and I thought this might compliment it well. Some of the decorative trim and spool work has disapeared and I thought the window would help brighten the area. I believe 2 small pillars were in the entry of the library but I would guess someone took them with them.

marie on 10/24/03 at 18:07 (135385)

The Auborn Chord Duesenburg parade is well visited every year in Auburn Indiana. The museum was full of beautiful autos....I love the Duesenburg! And if I had a place and the money for one, it'd be mine. Part of the crowd draw to the parade is Kruse Auction. It is one of the largest auto auctions in the country. They specialize in old autos and the prices are great. Jay Leno is a regular. There have been many celebrity autos auctioned...John Lennon's Royal Royce, Janis Joplin's Mercedes Benz, the car Jane Mansfield died in...kinda grotesque etc. I have seen several Model T's and A's at the auction. We have fleets of old cars driving through here on their way to Auburn all the time. It's pretty cool. Lot's of folks in our small town collect or own old cars...it's a big deal.

Well I'll just keep dreaming.

Re: antiques!

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 18:11 (135389)

the first issue of Rolling Stone mag is a fantastic find, marie. what's the date? for my education, you know.

nancy

Kathy G on 10/25/03 at 11:04 (135468)

I know that a Career Course I took once also used the test. I don't remember what I came out as but it would be interesting to do as Julie suggested and take it more than once. It's kind of hard to quantify some of the areas they address.

So Gemini's can't be pinned down, huh, Judy?

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 11:35 (135481)

judy's right, geminis can't be pinned down. i'm married to one. well, he pinned himself down enough to get married (finally, at 47!), but that's about it. if i ever wrote up a resume of his work history, it would take about 18 pages.

however, this is no excuse, judy! we want those results of yours no matter how loco they are! so come on.

nancy

wendyn on 10/25/03 at 17:31 (135536)

Rick, you kill me. You're prayers cracked me up...did you make them up yourself?

I have not done a conflict profile or heard of the Klein test.

I did one a few years ago called 'Insights'. I came up a mainly 'directive' and with quite a bit of 'emotive'. With emotive being more of the 'extroverted things', not the 'emotional things'. I never seem to score really high on supporting/compassionate things - except for feet of course.

The analysis suggested that I learn to finish one book before starting another. I thought this was particularly funny because I had 3 or 4 on the go at the time. I'm trying to practice that finishing one book first thing, but it's tough.

JudyS on 10/26/03 at 10:57 (135613)

Kathy, nancy - I'm not sure it's as much that Gemini's can't be pinned down -
It's more that they're known, due to the 'twin' nature of the sign, for having multi-faceted personalities. (yikes - did I just reveal my deepest secret? :)) Therefore, it'd be tough for a personality-typing tool to do an accurate profile - a Gemini will answer the questions one way and, an hour later, another way!

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 11:26 (135616)

:))
first time i've tried a face -- but i had to do it, judy.

wow, have you got that right! guess you know yourself pretty well . . . or is that possible for a gemini? i get a different story even five minutes apart here at home. fortunately, he's honest -- he just can't help it. he can't remember what his opinion was five minutes ago, so out he comes with a new one. never a dull moment.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 11:28 (135617)

:))
how come the face doesn't keep on laughing?
/

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 11:32 (135618)

8-X
that's for halloween, early.

the shop is slow; turns out it IS a leisurely day. so much for my description of the antiquing life, carole.

nancy

Jennifer on 9/01/07 at 09:07 (235326)

you are supposed to be a writer! NFP's in general (infp & enfp) make good writers.