Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Myers-Briggs

Posted by john h on 10/24/03 at 10:14 (135261)

http://www.hccbrandon.net/learnstyle/bryanpsy.html

Re: Results

marie on 10/24/03 at 10:50 (135265)

Thanks John. Here are my results.

The INFJ Type: Succeed by perseverance, originality, and desire to do whatever is needed or wanted. Put their best efforts into their work. Quietly forceful, conscientious, concerned for others. Resepted for their firm principles. Likely to be honored and followed for their clear visions as to how best to serve the common good.

Is that me? Scarey...I didn't know I was so nice.

marie

Re: Thanks, John - - you're so good at web searches! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:04 (135269)

Oh cool! My test results came out the same as what I thought from reading about them.... ESTJ.

'The ESTJ Type: Practical, realistic, matter-of-fact, with a natural head for buisness or mechanics. Not interested in abstract theories; want learning to have direct and immediate application. Like to organize and run activities. Often make good administators; are decisive, quickly move to implement decisions; take care of routine details.'

Although I'm an oceanographer, I got into it via my engineering background and that might explain the 'direct and immediate application' part above.

E--->15 I--->10
S--->21 N--->4
T--->24 F--->1
J--->17 P--->8

Carole C

Kathy G on 10/24/03 at 11:04 (135270)

I'm an ESFJ.

I always wonder with these tests, are there results that you can get that say that you are a lousy, uncooperative, unimaginative, horrible person?:D

x

Re: Myers-Briggs

john h on 10/24/03 at 11:06 (135271)

I have taken so many of these goofy test over my life time I cannot count them. Ok I have my results. You guys sort of know me. Is this me:

The ESTJ Type: Practical,realistic, matter-of-fact, with a natural head for business or mechanics. Not interested in abstract theories; want learning to have direct and immediate application. Like to organize and run activities. Often make good administrators; are decisive, quickly move to implement decisions; take care of routine details.

Some of this I know to be true in that I do have a natural head or business and mechanics and have alway been quick to move to implement decisions ( if you are a pilot your had better be ).

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:09 (135273)

No, at least on this test it seems to me that they are all phrased very tactully! LOL

Carole C

john h on 10/24/03 at 11:09 (135274)

Carole it looks like we are brother and sister with our results? What does this mean?

Pauline on 10/24/03 at 11:10 (135276)

Simply, love thy neighbor!

john h on 10/24/03 at 11:13 (135278)

Kathy: After seeing pictures of Scott's bedroom and reading his post he may qualify.

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:26 (135282)

John, I'm an ESTJ too. The closest I will ever get to being a pilot, is playing video games (but I do enjoy them). That is fine with me, because my vision needs a lot of correction. I'll leave the flying to you and we'll all be a lot safer for it.

I seem to do better in working out mathematical or business problems than mechanical problems.

Making decisions and implementing decisions could be considered to be slightly different. Sometimes I take my time in making decisions (if there is no rush), because I need to weigh both sides carefully and don't like to shoot from the hip. However, once I have decided on something I don't waste any time implementing my decision if possible.

I do like to take care of routine details because that makes life simpler for me, though like most people I mess up sometimes.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 11:30 (135284)

much of it does sound like you, john. they forgot the humorous and animal-loving parts, though. we know you must be good at routine details because of all your housework.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:31 (135285)

John, I don't know! LOL But now you know that when I fret about you climbing around on the roof, I'm not trying to be MEAN... I'm just being practical and suggesting that in all probability it could result in a negative outcome.

I can also be practical and say that oh well, John has made his decision and he is gonna do it anyway. :)

Carole

Suzanne D on 10/24/03 at 11:33 (135286)

Interesting! I'm an ENFJ: 'responsive and responsible. Feel real concern for what others think or want, and try to handle things with due regard for the others' feelings. Can present a proposal or lead a group with ease and tact. Sociable, popular, sympathetic. Responsive to praise and criticism. Like to facilitate and enable people to achieve their potential.'

I always think these type 'tests' are fun to take. Sometimes it opens our eyes to things about ourselves we might not otherwise realize.

Suzanne :)

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 11:39 (135290)

sounds like you, suzanne! and that's a compliment.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:41 (135291)

That does sound like you, Suzanne! For example, you definitely try to 'handle things with due regard for others' feelings', and you are definitely 'sociable, popular, and sympathetic' on the message board. 'Like to facilitate and enable people to achieve their potential' is such a great quality for a teacher.

Carole C

Re: Myers-Briggs -- no other INFP/ENFPs?

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 11:42 (135293)

now i'm starting to feel ripped off. you all are getting similar profiles, and you have pf. i so far am the only one with my profile, and i think that should have disqualified me from getting pf. whom should i speak to about this injustice?

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 11:46 (135297)

Nancy, Marie's profile is almost like yours. She's an INFJ. So you aren't disqualified from having foot problems.

Too bad! LOL

Carole C

Suzanne D on 10/24/03 at 12:01 (135300)

Thanks, Carole and Nancy! Unfortunately the part about being responsive to praise and criticism is also true. I am too sensitive sometimes, but I try to realize it and not let it get the best of me (most of the time!).

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:03 (135302)

well phooey, carole.

n

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:08 (135305)

that's ok, suzanne. maybe it's better to be too sensitive than too insensitive?

nancy

john h on 10/24/03 at 12:24 (135312)

Nancy you need to talk to Dr. Ruth.

JudyS on 10/24/03 at 12:25 (135313)

That describes you to a 'T' Suzanne! :)

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:42 (135320)

gee, thanks a lot, john! very funny. i'm afraid dr ruth would have foot-pain-injustice info only as it pertains to . . . well, i'm too modest to say it. don't know if modesty is in my profile, but there you have it.

nancy

Aly on 10/24/03 at 12:48 (135324)

I finally had time to join in, and have learned that I'm an ESFJ Type:

Warm-hearted, talkative, popular, conscientious, born cooperators, active comittee members. Need harmony and may be good at creating it. Always doing something nice for someone. Work best with encouragement and praise. Main interest is in things that directly and visibly affect peoples' lives.

I love doing those tests, but they really ever help people figure out what to do with their lives?? :P

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 12:57 (135331)

i wonder too, aly. these newer tests seem to have a little more going for them than the old ones -- at least they come up with only a type and don't try to tell you exactly what you should do or be! years ago i took some older version of test to help with career choice, and it came up with two possible professions for me, both of them WAY off.

what does the 'F' stand for in your type? that's the one initial you and i have in common, but i don't know what it means.

nancy

Aly on 10/24/03 at 13:00 (135332)

I just looked it up, it says F is for Feeling:

Characteristics of most people who prefer Feeling:

Sympathic
Assess impact on people
Guided by personal value
'Tender-hearted'
Strive for harmony and individual validation
Compassionate
Accepting

I relate to all that. We F-types are just wonderful people, aren't we Nancy? :D

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 13:11 (135333)

oh YES, aly, aren't we, though! and to think we're the only ones.

nancy

Aly on 10/24/03 at 13:19 (135337)

Ha! :p You made me laugh.

Suzanne D on 10/24/03 at 13:24 (135338)

Aly, we're ALMOST the same. I'm ENFJ, and you're ESFJ!

Aly on 10/24/03 at 13:29 (135339)

:) And what does your N stand for again?

wendyn on 10/24/03 at 14:12 (135346)

Unfortunately, I have never been accused of being an F person. Ever. I do try though.

The funniest comment I saw about an ENTJ was something like 'If I can't control the airplane - why would I look out the window?'

Those of you who know me will know why that's purdy funny.

wendyn on 10/24/03 at 14:24 (135350)

http://www.typelogic.com/entj.html

A link to an ENTJ description - and the other description links are at the top of the page.

Suzanne D on 10/24/03 at 14:37 (135352)

iNtuition, I think, Aly. I'm in a rush now, but I'll look more later at the link Wendy posted not long ago. I think it gives even more explanation.

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 16:11 (135363)

yep, that is purdy funny, wendy. that part makes me more like you than the profiles would suggest.

nancy

Julie on 10/25/03 at 01:50 (135430)

I've only just caught up with this thread (you can imagine how long it took to catch up after three weeks away!) Nancy, you don't need to complain and you don't have to despair - I took the test and I am an INFP too. So we're in this together.

Quiet observers, idealistic, loyal. Important that outer life congruent with inner values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, often to serve as catalysts to implement ideas. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened. Want to understand people and ways of fulfilling human potential. Little concern with possessions or surroundings.

Hmm. not sure about that last bit - I'm very attached to possessions and surroundings. I like the rest, though!

It would be interesting to re-take the test after a couple of days and then maybe a few more times and see how consistent the results are.

Re: Nancy, 'only as it pertains to'....foot fetishism?

Julie on 10/25/03 at 01:56 (135431)

;.)

Julie on 10/25/03 at 01:58 (135432)

I've only just caught up with this thread (you can imagine how long it took to catch up after three weeks away!) Nancy, you don't need to complain and you don't have to despair - I took the test and I am an INFP too. So we're in this together.

Quiet observers, idealistic, loyal. Important that outer life congruent with inner values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, often to serve as catalysts to implement ideas. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened. Want to understand people and ways of fulfilling human potential. Little concern with possessions or surroundings.

Hmm. not sure about that last bit - I'm very attached to possessions and surroundings. I like the rest, though!

It would be interesting to re-take the test after a couple of days and then maybe a few more times and see how consistent the results are.

marie on 10/25/03 at 07:50 (135436)

How was Crete?

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 08:49 (135442)

so, i'm not alone! well good -- and i see i have good company.

i'm attached to surroundings too. why else would i choose to spend half my life in a shop full (and i mean full) of dusty old stuff that i love like crazy?

nancy

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 08:52 (135443)

yes, that's it, julie! lol, and i say that only when i mean it.

someone used 'sol' yesterday -- was it rick? -- and i don't know what that means. clue me in?

nancy

Julie on 10/25/03 at 09:04 (135445)

Sob? Just a guess...

Glad you laughed!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 09:08 (135446)

I get such a kick out of poking about through shops full of dusty old stuff like that! There's always something amazing that I haven't seen yet.

Towards the back of the shop where I bought my wood carvings, there were some very VERY dusty and ancient looking shutters that looked like the shutters in photographs of the original Creole cottages in the French Quarter. I'll bet they were centuries old. They will be a real 'find' for someone. They were surrounded by stacks of obviously antique wrought iron grillwork, that probably came off the same house that the shutters came off of.

Even though the shutters are very large, I didn't notice them the first time through the store since they are just casually leaning up against a wall in the back.

And then, there were some of the old glass Mardi Gras beads, from the days before plastic beads were made.

And old clocks.... dozens of very old, fine clocks. And cases full of ceramic or porcelain miniatures like girls used to collect back in the 1950's and 1960's. They are too small for me to enjoy as much now as I once did; I'd need a very bright light to see them.

It gives me a sense of continuity to poke through shops full of these interesting old things. Sometimes I wonder where the years went.

Carole C

Julie on 10/25/03 at 09:08 (135447)

Crete was absolutely wonderful, thanks, Marie. The weather was clear and sunny almost all of the time, and I did lots of walking in the hills and swimming. A perfect holiday (or should I say vacation here?) in my favourite place in the world. :o)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 09:10 (135448)

I didn't see the context, but among sailors SOL means, um, 'excrement' (substitute a four letter 'S' word) Out of Luck.

Helpfully yours,

Carole C

marie on 10/25/03 at 09:17 (135453)

Glad you had such a good time. I think vacation is the right word you are looking for. It's so funny to hear all the different ways of expressing oneself from one country to the next. We are doing some tech training and our instructor is from Australia. He wasn't sure what to expect when he saw sloppy joe was on the lunch menu as a sloppy joe is a sweatshirt in Australia. LOL

Julie on 10/25/03 at 09:40 (135457)

Sloppy Joe was a sweater in NY in the 40s and 50s, Marie - I lived in them. It's obviously undergone a metamorphoses into a food. (Which food? Is it edible?)

'Holiday' in British English means exactly the same as 'vacation' in American English. I was just being polite. :)

marie on 10/25/03 at 11:25 (135476)

Recipe for Sloppy Joes

brown hamburger
add one small can of tomato sauce
Fair amount of ketchup
onions
and green peper

simmer about 45 minutes.

serve on hamburger buns.

Lari S. on 10/25/03 at 11:30 (135480)

Just got on the net today. Thanks, John, really interesting site! Seems I'm with Suzanne...an ENFJ. Boy, was my husband disgusted. lol He says that's my 'big' problem, I tend to join organizations, get really involved, and then work to get everyone to enjoy it as much as I do. Seems it takes too much time away from humoring him!
Lari

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 11:47 (135483)

a sloppy joe was a sweater, julie? i missed that era, but it sure sounds like my style. you don't have any left, do you?

seems i'm begging on the board today. i've got to stop it.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 11:49 (135484)

thanks (i think) for the helpful explanation of SOL. yuck.
but it must be ok if rick said it.

nancy

John H on 10/25/03 at 12:45 (135491)

John's Recipe for Sloppy Joe:

K R O G E R 1 can

Julie on 10/25/03 at 12:48 (135492)

I think I discarded my final sloppy joe in about 1951, Nancy - you weren't born (well you were, but only just). A sloppy joe was a big, loose, woolly affair - long, covering the hips, long sleeves too that you could keep your hands warm in or push up if you wanted to. Total comfort. A delightfully cosy garment. Maybe it will become fashionable again - who knows?

You could always knit one. Can you knit?
;)

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 12:58 (135496)

julie, i hope it becomes fashionable again, because NO i can't knit! terrible at all that stuff, though i admire people who can sew, knit, etc. Being a girl, i was forced to take home ec. in high school. among other things i was lousy at, we had to each make a skirt for ourselves. i had to put the zipper in seven times. i threw the thing out the window. i hated it. say, why don't *you* knit me one? in black, please.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 12:58 (135497)

lol, john!

Re: attention moderators

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 16:28 (135518)

Moderators, this poster's posts have all been like this. You might want to delete them all, and maybe ScottR might want to ban this individual.

The posts have an 'x'.

Suzanne D. on 10/25/03 at 16:45 (135525)

I know where you're coming from, Lari! ;)

Nice to meet another ENFG. And we don't mean to neglect them, do we? We just try to help wherever we can! :>

wendyn on 10/25/03 at 17:26 (135534)

Julie, I think you'll find the results fairly consistent. Interesting that you and Nancy are both almost my exact opposites.

I think my husband is an INTJ or an INTP (aslso almost my exact opposite)

wendyn on 10/25/03 at 17:34 (135537)

Sloppy joes are some of the best camping food ever.

Julie on 10/25/03 at 18:23 (135546)

I can't knit, Nancy. My mom tried to teach me, but I didn't want to learn.

:(

Lari S. on 10/25/03 at 20:44 (135556)

Isn't that the truth!!! When we moved here from Ohio, the kids joined 4-H. The next year, the community leader had to resign and no one would step up. We had 156 kids with no leader... So, yours truly decided to give it a try since my oldest had been elected president. That 'try' lasted for years, including camping out at the fair for 6 days with all the kids and their animals. Hubby was glad when the kids went to high school thinking all of that would end.

One son was in drama, and they needed a parent support group. The same was true when the oldest went into volleyball. So, I volunteered since I had experience in 4-H. That was in addition to marching band and football.

Kids grow up and leave. Hubby all smiles. We buy Haley-Davidson motorcycles and join the H.O.G. club. Club secretary quits at our 4 th meeting. I was asked if I would fill in by the HD store owner. I 'filled in' for 6 years and took over all membership duties as well. I think hubby has really enjoyed the past 3 years when my foot has hurt so much that I have had to give that all up. I can't even shift my bike with this foot, much less put on a boot.

Oh well, I'm sure there is something else out there that needs some help!!! lol
Lari

marie on 10/26/03 at 09:37 (135605)

That's a good recipe too.:)