Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eswt treatment

Posted by mitch b on 10/24/03 at 13:46 (135341)

i have had chronic pf for 5 years and has anybody used the painfree clinic in toronto it seems they dont require a referal, they use ultra sound to help specifically locate sore areas they seem a little eager for the business which makes me suspicious i am desperate for some pain relief
the price of $1050 per foot seems reasonable, i cant afford an mri which i suppose would identify exactly where my inflamation is.
i would greatly appreciate any input
thanks mitch in oregon

Re: eswt treatment

David L on 10/24/03 at 14:05 (135343)

Mitch....is that $1050 in U.S. $$ or Canadian $$? From my understanding, they use the Siemens Sonocur, which is the same device that we (www.sonorex.com) use at our Canadian clinics. They use the same protocol and the treatment is highly effective. The fact that they use ultrasound is, in my view (we have done over 7000 treatments), and the view of some researchers in Australia, unnecessary. Whatever you do, rest assured that ESWT is a safe and highly effective treatment and I would certainly recommend you consider it.

mitch b on 10/24/03 at 14:20 (135349)

thanks david thats us dollars do you know if your clinic in vancover caters to us citizens and do you need a referal i take it your from australia
thanks again

David L on 10/24/03 at 16:26 (135368)

No....I am from Vancouver. We have clinics in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Ottawa. The prices for a series of 3 treatments at these centers ranges from $750-$900 (Canadian $$) for all 3 depending on which clinic you visit. We treat a significant number of patients from the US with many different conditions.
See: http://www.sonorex.com/world/files/physicians/treatment_protocols.html
for a listing

Pauline on 10/24/03 at 16:41 (135373)

Any plans to open one in Windsor, On.

Aly on 10/24/03 at 17:27 (135380)

Hi David,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question. I was just wondering, do you also find that those with typical PF (insertional pain & first-step pain) have better results with ESWT than patients with atypical PF?

Thanks,

Aly

David L on 10/24/03 at 18:08 (135386)

We looked at it, but have no plans yet. Closest centre to Windsor is Toronto.
Regards

Re: Aly

Steve G on 10/24/03 at 18:08 (135387)

Have you had ESWT?

David L on 10/24/03 at 18:09 (135388)

The main thing is that the pain must be well-localized. It can hurt all over but there has to be one or two particular spots that are very tender to the touch. Every case of pf is different, but having 'point tenderness' is key to success with ESWT

Re: Re:David L - eswt treatment

Yasmin on 10/24/03 at 18:39 (135390)

Hi

I was recently told by by at last two podiatists that ESWT has some 'adverse side effects and is very painful'. Is this true, in particular in reference to the sonocar plus in Toronto?

Thanks

yasmin

PETER R on 10/25/03 at 10:14 (135463)

Aside from some very localized and very temporary, minor hematoma, minor bruising, discomfort or localized swelling there are no serious adverse events that I have become aware of.These events were observed during clinical trial and had to be reported but the occurances were extremely rare, minor, and of short term. As far as pain during the application of the therapy- a well administered block and expertly applied application of the shockwave will make the treatment quite tolerable. In addition, the therapy itself, after the first 2-3 minutes imparts a temporary anesthetic effect that acts to further reduce any discomfort. I am refering to the high enery treatment using the Dornier Epos. When the Ossatron is used the patient is sedated so that no discomfort is felt. What is most important to consider in all the types of shockwave therapy is that the benefit to risk ratio is so large that it is, in my opinion, almost obligitory on the part of your poditrist to recommend ESWT, post conservative therapy and before any invasive surgical intervention.

Dr. Z on 10/25/03 at 11:19 (135471)

Yasmin,
Low energy can be painful due to the fact that no local anesthesia is used. Patient feed back is a very important aspect of low energy treatment protocol. I have been told by Dr. Ed from this board that pain from low energy treatment is rare during the treatment.
I have used low energy in the past and I found that with a very skillful doctor pain is rare.
The only problem I see with low energy and pain is that you may have to reduce the energy levels and amount of pulses during the treatment if the patient can't tolerate the procedure. If this should happen you can always add another treatment session or take a break and continue the treatment session David L can give you more information. My exeptise and experience is with the dornier high energy treatments

Re: Re:thanks peter and dr z

Yasmin on 10/25/03 at 16:16 (135513)

eom

Re: Peter gets banned by Scott -- see the social board

a reader in disbelief on 10/26/03 at 16:22 (135672)

x

Terry M on 11/20/03 at 11:29 (138081)

To David L.

What is the name & phone# of your clinic in Toronto?

Thanks in advance

Terry