Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My lucky day

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 16:08 (135360)

We're all lucky because we have each other again here on the message board. But I'm just thrilled because I had another great stroke of luck today.

I just closed two old inactive credit union accounts from the LSU credit union, and got checks for $3200!!! I don't know how that money could have got there, but I'm not going to fight it. I'm pretty sure it is really mine, for reasons I won't go into. I deposited the checks in another bank, and I have receipts showing that my credit union accounts are closed and that this is what was in there.

It is raining money today. :)

I sent $100 of it to my daughter, and went down to the French Quarter this afternoon and bought a pair of carved wooden busts from Bali for myself. I had seen them while prowling the Quarter with Frank, when he was in town last month. I'm sure you have seen the kind that I mean. They are made of a beautiful, very heavy, very sturdy shiny dark wood, about a foot and a half high, with the most beautiful, noble, peaceful expressions on their faces. The shop owner thinks they might be mahogany, but he's not sure. They are absolutely perfect, without a scratch or dent anywhere. They were marked $300 each, but I managed to haggle him down to 1/3 of that, $200 for the pair. Most people might think 'ewww!' when they see them, but I like them and there's no accounting for other peoples' tastes. LOL

Anyway, that leaves $2900 to pay off some principal on my house. What a lucky day!

Another lucky thing (for a PF sufferer like me) is that I managed to find a parking spot only 1/2 block from the store in the French Quarter and that NEVER happens. This was the first time in my life I've parked that close to anything down there. Also, I wasn't sure which antique store I had seen them in, and it turned out to be the closest one to my car. My feet say 'thank you' since they are still recovering from Wednesday. They are almost all better.

Carole C

Re: My lucky day

marie on 10/24/03 at 16:13 (135364)

Carol send a little of that good luck up north. I just got the estimate for my tracker. $5000.00 Yikes! Glad I have insurance.

Nice to hear some good news from someone.

best wishes marie

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 16:33 (135370)

a lucky day is always great to hear about, and i'm glad today was one for you, carole.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 17:01 (135374)

Yikes indeed! I'm glad you have insurance, too. Thanks for the good wishes.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 17:02 (135375)

Thanks, Nancy. I'm normally not lucky. The natural order of the universe has tilted, today.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 17:10 (135379)

the natural order of the universe, carole? that sounds familiar. ah yes -- that's what my red-sox-fan brother wrote me after i wailed to him in an email about their downfall. he said something like Yes, it's painful, but this just shows us that the natural order of the universe is intact, and we should be relieved. ok, that's all i'll say about the red sox, i swear.

nancy

Aly on 10/24/03 at 17:30 (135381)

Wow, you did have a lucky day! You must have done something right, I believe in Karma.

Now if only I had a couple of idle bank accounts somewhere, collecting interest...;)

Suzanne D. on 10/24/03 at 22:04 (135410)

Oh, how NICE, Carole! =D> I love to hear about good things that happen to my friends!

Thanks for telling us. I'm glad I checked in before heading for bed. Enjoy your new pieces of art. Where are you placing them in your house?

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/24/03 at 22:06 (135412)

Thanks, Suzanne! I put them on top of my barrister's bookcase, in the den. I needed some height, something to draw the eye upwards... and they are large enough that they're easy to see, even way up there. The wood also is dark brown, just like the barrister's bookcase, so they look very natural there. It's like having a couple of friends in the den with me, when I am there. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 10/24/03 at 22:09 (135413)

Sounds like the perfect place, Carole! Sometime maybe you can post a picture of them. I've always enjoyed looking at pictures of your new home.

Re: OK! try this :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 09:56 (135459)

Photos of the wood carvings:

http://www.geocities.com/myphotos4u2c

It's pretty dark in my den this morning, but these should give the general idea.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 10/25/03 at 10:17 (135464)

Oh, NEAT, Carole! And they DO look like they just belong in that spot, with the wood seeming to match perfectly!

See - I told you that you collect ART! :)

Re: carvings

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 11:09 (135469)

I guess you are right! Thank you, Suzanne. I love paintings and sculptures but I only get ones that I happen to like and can afford at the time. I would not have bought these, had it not been for the unexpected money. I didn't know what other people might think of them, so it makes me feel happy that you like them too. They seem so beautiful and awe inspiring to me. :)

I have been looking online for similar figures, just to see what is said about them, but I haven't found any yet. I used to see carvings like this all the time back in Hawaii, years ago. I believe that the figures depict a traditional Balinese wedding couple.

I do like them in that spot. The bookcase is just to the right of the television, which is a nice, central location. I might try them in the mirrored alcove too, just to see what they look like there. But right now their lofty location somehow seems well suited to them.

Carole C

Re: yes!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 11:13 (135470)

Yes! I think I was right that they are a Balinese wedding couple. I found a similar carving on this site

http://www.export-importbali.com/balinese_classics.htm

way down on the page. So I think that is what they are.

Carole C

marie on 10/25/03 at 11:22 (135473)

Oh my gosh! Those are absolutely beautiful. A good find!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 11:28 (135478)

Thanks, Marie! I am so happy that you and Suzanne like them! :) For some reason, they really appeal to me but I didn't know if they would appeal to anybody else at all.

The carving has a lot more detail than the photos show. The back of the headdress on the lady is especially nicely done.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 11:41 (135482)

they are gorgeous, carole! i had one similar in my shop last year (i think made of teak?), but it flew out of there. think i priced it too low. yours look wonderful. (by the way, i love old glass beads too.)

and hey, it's very interesting to see what you have in your bookshelf. what a bonus -- thanks for getting so personal. right away i noticed 'Personal Finance for Dummies.' i sure could use that one (see above paragraph, for example); let me know when you're done.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 11:56 (135486)

Nancy, that's so cool that you had one like it! Do you know anything about them? The shop owner said he didn't think mine was teak; he said it seems similar to mahogany but might be another wood native to Indonesia. The wood is extremely heavy, and fine rather than coarse, so it is probably great for detailed carving.

That personal finance book is great! I highly recommend it for those who (like me) just never had any interest in personal finance but find themselves wanting to retire some day. A lot of the ideas in it seem like good common sense to me, in any economic climate. I knew I would like it when he said that paying off the credit cards is a good way to begin investing money.

I should re-read it. He probably says that not splurging on wooden Balinese wedding couples is another way to save money, but I will ignore that part. LOL

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 12:08 (135488)

yes, ignore that part! the author would just be testing you for dummyhood, when it obviously would be smart to ignore that part.

i know very little about them, unfortunately, and that one was the only one i ever had. i suspect your guy is right -- teak didn't sound right to me, but that's what the person who sold it to me said it was. teak is heavy, but this seemed even heavier, and definitely darker than teak.

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 12:39 (135490)

That was my impression too. I thought teak was lighter colored than that, though maybe it depends on the stain. I had a teak desk when I was a teenager and into 'Danish furniture' (a style I now hate), and it was light brown. But between my post and yours, I was cruising the net and saw some darker teak carvings.

I'm almost wondering if these were carved from some kind of ironwood or ebony (though they are very dark brown, rather than pure black). The carvings are very heavy, like yours was. If it's a native wood, it's probably something we never heard of; maybe that's why it's so hard to pin down.

A scruffy, nefarious looking guy came barreling into the shop while I was there, bringing in a large box of items rather secretively. The store owner asked him what he had this time, so I wondered if the guy was selling stolen stuff or what! They seemed to have done business a lot before and talked on a familiar basis. The scruffy guy didn't seem to care much about the stuff and wanted money.

Anyway, the (possible) thief and the store owner were looking at the carvings, and the thief said 'Teak?' The store owner responded, 'Maybe mahogany. I'm not sure, maybe something similar. It looks like mahogany'.

Maybe it could be teak, though. That would explain the heaviness. It's almost as heavy as stone. I have no idea if teak can take up a stain that dark.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 12:52 (135493)

hmm, that's interesting. the 'thief' may know his teak better than any of the rest of us. since my carving is long sold, you're going to have to get to the bottom of this and educate me, ok?

i have a couple of scruffy, nefarious-looking guys who come in to sell me stuff too -- only they work at the town dump! and they're actually good guys. you wouldn't believe what people throw out. these guys rescue the stuff and i sell it, and we split the money. makes me happy, because i hate to see things like that thrown away. like the only bumper strip on my van says, 'ANTIQUES: The Original Recyclable.'

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/25/03 at 13:05 (135498)

That could be where this scrufy, nefarious looking guy got his stuff. Or, maybe he buys boxes of stuff at garage sales and auctions. He was the kind of guy that would inspire me to lock my wrought iron grillwork and doors, if I saw him in my neighborhood, but he may very well know his teak. LOL

The original recyclables, huh? That's kind of cool. :) I like browsing the antiques and collectibles stores, though due to lack of stupendous wealth, most of what I've bought is more in the realm of 'nice, quality stuff from the early twentieth century' rather than truly antique.

I've seen some genuine Louis XIV furniture online that I could truly lust for, if I had the wealth of Donald Trump. It is SO beautiful and graceful, and I wonder why modern furniture never seems to look as nice. I can't see spending more for a desk than for my car, though. Besides, if I did, there would be no reason to visit museums or Versailles.

Carole C