Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

saw my 2nd opionion dr today.. DRZ please read

Posted by David B on 10/24/03 at 21:41 (135406)

My new doctor 1st thing he did was take an Xray and there is no stress fracture or heal spurs or anything that don't look like it should. He gave me an elastic bandage to wear it does the same thing as taping does but much easier to put on, and he is going to make me some new orthonics. He told me if those things didn't fix it since I have already tried, the night split, cortizone injections, ESWT twice I had 2 other choices. Either live with the pain or have EPF. He told me the success rate on EPF was really good and in the 15 yrs he has been doing it that he has never had to re-do the surgery. There was only a couple of patients that had alot of pain afterwards and that was due to them not following his orders. He said one guy went back to work 2 days and was on his feet for 8-10 hrs a day and refused to take time off work. Dr Z do you do EPF surgery and what is your opionions about it. Hopefully, new orthonics will fix it but if it don't I think I will be doing EPF surgery causing living with it is not an option. I been living with it for many years already.

Re: saw my 2nd opionion dr today.. DRZ please read

Dr. Z on 10/24/03 at 21:47 (135407)

Hi

IF you have pain and have what is called pain and or limping when you sit and then start to walk then plantar fascia release is a very good option. In your specific situation let's give ESWT some more time 12-16 weeks with your new orthosis and then discuss the surgery option.

nancy s. on 10/24/03 at 22:51 (135419)

dr z, i have a question about david b's doctor, who says he's been doing epf for 15 years. has that surgery been around for that long? i thought it was more recent. am wondering if david b should be concerned about his doc.

nancy

Pauline on 10/25/03 at 01:19 (135429)

Great observation Nancy. It was introduced in Canada in 1993 and according to the footlaw docs it was first introduced in early 1990. That doesn't add up to 15 years in my book either. (Someting is wong) He's close but it can't be 15 years.

The technique (EPF) was introduced to Canada in 1993 by Hartley Miltchin D.P.M. who is considered to be the Canadian leader in this procedure.

When Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy (EPF) was first introduced in the early 1990's, everyone thought that it would be the final 'cure' for heel pain. Unfortunately, the procedure has been apparently overutilized and many people suffered severe and debilitating complications from the procedure (Footlaw.com)

David B on 10/25/03 at 06:48 (135434)

Im sorry I think I may have misquoted my dr, he told me he has been in the business for 15 yrs and since he has been doing EPF he has never had to re-do one.

David B on 10/25/03 at 06:54 (135435)

DR Z Yes I have pain, in the mornings it is the most painfull, but after I sit for a bit it hurts too, it sometimes hurts just when Im not doing anything. I guess working on my feet for 8 hrs a day does not help the fact. I have tried everything even praying, I don't think anything is going to work. I kinda wish now I wouldn't have wasted a yr being in pain and just went and had the surgery done 1st. Im getting very discouraged. IF I have surgery if I can wait it will be after Jan 1 so I will have some sick time.

nancy s. on 10/25/03 at 08:41 (135440)

aha. thought so. thanks, pauline, and for the extra info.

nancy

Dr. Z on 10/25/03 at 11:24 (135475)

Your thinking is very logical . Let hope that the ESWT does repair and help you before Jan Surgery date. I really like taping if you haven't been doing this yet. I completely understand the frustation and I wish I had just went for the surgery. This is a looking back feeling. There is hope between ESWT, new orthosis and possible pf foot surgery.

kay on 10/28/03 at 18:16 (135888)

Knowing what I know today I'd say your doctor is lying. EPF is not that sucessful, that is why they are not doing it as much these days.
When I went to my second opinion for my pension disability the doctor just shook his head when I told him the first surgery I had was EPF.

:(

Re: saw my 2nd opionion dr today.. DRZ please read kay whats your idea then?

David B on 10/28/03 at 20:07 (135899)

Kay,
I have tried ESWT 2 times no success, night split, stetching, cortizone injections, I don't really have any other choice. Yes, I guess I could spend the next 10 weeks going to a chiropractor driving 125 miles one way each week and shell out $80 a visit and hope A.R.T. helps but I don't have much faith in it, tired of all the conservative ways. I have been dealing with this pain for 1 1/2 yrs and ready to have something done about it.

Re: saw my 2nd opionion dr today.. DRZ please read kay whats your idea then?

john k on 10/29/03 at 13:16 (135953)

If your surgery goes wrong you may not be able to walk at all. I would get all the opinions I could and don't be in a rush. My feet have been hurting for years, but at least I can still go to the grocery store. Be cautious! They cannot uncut you.

john king

april l on 10/29/03 at 22:52 (135985)

My doctor told me there is only a 10% failure rate. I had surgery on both feet, 5 yrs apart. Still healing on my left foot, right foot now is 100% pain free. My doctor has PF too and he plans to get the surgery done on himself.