Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

remember to let your clock fall back

Posted by nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 07:25 (135591)

it always seems to when i don't want it to, so today should be an easy day, right?

but does this mean we should ice for an extra hour? probably not!

nancy

Re: remember to let your clock fall back

marie on 10/26/03 at 08:50 (135597)

Thanks, we're one of the few that don't change our clocks all year round. However, I'll get to sleep longer if before going to work in Ohio.

:D Maybe the deer will be taking their morning nap by the time I go to Ohio, instead of preying on me.

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 09:07 (135598)

yah, watch out for those deer, bucks, spikes, you name it.
i envy non-clock-changers. this time of year it means daylight wakes us up earlier in the morning and fades away before or at dinnertime, which is too darn early.

nancy

Pauline on 10/26/03 at 09:22 (135602)

Your right Nancy, but it was great when the kids were young. Off to bed nice and early 'Look it's already dark outside'. That was before they could tell time:*

Carole C in NOLA on 10/26/03 at 09:28 (135603)

Wakes us up? Oh, for the life of leisure. It will still be pitch black when I get to my desk at work on Monday morning.

On the other hand, I do not like the darkness coming so early in the evening. I don't like being out after dark, so there's that much less running around that I can do.

Daylight savings time seems anachronistic, just like summer vacation. Most Americans don't work on the farm any more so their children don't need the summers off, and I suspect that for most, dealing with the shorter winter days is easier than dealing with time changes twice a year. Think of the lost productivity resulting from what amounts to jet lag twice a year.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 09:54 (135608)

i love that, pauline! 'look, it's already dark outside.' never had kids but will try it on my little nieces. (the other niece by marriage, 38 years old, probably wouldn't buy it.)

carole, you must be getting up at 4 a.m. to get to work before dark, and you do have my sympathy. but are you at auction till 11:30 p.m.? do you have to clean and move every single thing in a shop the size of a small (ok, tiny) house 1,439 times before you sell it? do you have to explain to people every day that you can't give them a 75% discount because you don't pick free antiques off trees in the backyard? no? well all righty, then.

ok, and it's off to work for me -- notice that it's sunday! :)

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/26/03 at 10:22 (135610)

Darn, it sounds like the life of an antique dealer in New England is not as leisurely as I had imagined! My sympathies, that's for sure.

Sometimes occupations sound a lot more picturesque than they really are, and I guess I got caught in the image rather than the reality of yours. A lot of times people think that I am at sea all the time, since I'm an oceanographer. I could only wish.

I don't get up at 4:00. My alarm rings at 5:30 and I'm dressed, showered, and at my desk at work, working, by 6:00. Needless to say, it's a mad scramble but that's my choice. Sunrise won't be until after 6:00 according to weather.com.

And life goes by, so fast. Some day, maybe I can retire. But John Lennon said, 'Life is what happens while you are making other plans.'

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 10:52 (135611)

oh carole, i really have nothing to complain about and was just kidding. it's true it's not leisurely, but i love it, and when you're able to do what you love, you're one lucky person. (and it took me only 45 years to discover it!)

'oceanographer' does sound very romantic and adventurous to me, and probably to a lot of other people.

nancy