Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sky photo

Posted by JudyS on 10/26/03 at 12:59 (135628)

There are five major fires in San Diego county now - the nearest about five miles.

here's a view of the sky from my front porch

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b351e2c0843b

Re: Sky photo

Carole C in NOLA on 10/26/03 at 13:16 (135634)

That is so scary, Judy! That is way too close for comfort. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I hope they don't move any closer.

Carole C

nancy s. on 10/26/03 at 13:19 (135636)

yikes, judy! stay safe, please.

n

JudyS on 10/26/03 at 13:44 (135647)

thanks, nancy - we really don't think we're in danger regarding the current fires. The Santa Ana winds blow the smoke absolutely everywhere - in fact, the beaches are the worst in terms of smoke and ash and they're nowhere near the fires! No, a bigger concern for us would be if a new fire starts nearer to us. That's the thing - with the winds, new fires can spring up in no time. And of course we have a shake-shingle roof and lots of Eucalyptus trees.

Having said that, two of the fires have now entered San Diego city proper from outlying open spaces. That is just no good. Two military bases are on fire - one is Camp Pendleton about fifty miles north up the coast and the other is Miramar Air Station to the north of the city. My sister-in-law will be evacuated as a result of that one.

Meanwhile, some of our neighbors are horse people and they've been going out with their trailers to bring back fire-victim horses and give them sanctuary.

John H on 10/26/03 at 13:56 (135653)

I am sure you know better than me but the forecast is in the next 48 hours the high which is generating the santa ana winds in your area is supposed to weaken and slow the winds down. at the same time the jet stream is schedule to drop down and bring cooler weather and perhaps even some showers. Hang in there for the next 48 and hopefully you will be in good shape. We are going down to 38 tonight in litte rock. Friday it was 90.