Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tight Cast

Posted by Chad H on 10/26/03 at 17:58 (135676)

This probably sounds crazy, but I think my cast is too tight!

Thursday after my cast was put on I felt like it was tight but didn't think much of it. Friday I was at work and was on my feet; not a lot, but more than I should have been. My ankle and my whole leg started really hurting. I even noticed that my toes looked swollen. That night I laid in bed and I felt like my cast was going to explode. I have never been clastrophopic, but Friday night I felt like I was going crazy. I wanted out of that cast so bad. I didn't sleep at all.

Saturday things were a little bit better but that cast still felt extremely tight and restrictive. I feel like it is squeezing my foot and my ankle. I didn't sleep well Saturday night either. I starting thinking about how tight the cast is and almost started panicking. I get so worked up over it I just want to cut it off.

I have spent the past 30 hours with my foot up and all of the swelling is gone, but things are still tight. I called the doctor today and he wants me to come in tomorrow.

I am really upset. I own my own business and I have to be at work and I have to spend some time on my feet. There just isn't any way around it. I know that I need to recover properly and take it easy, but I can't spend the next 6 weeks in a cast on my back. I can't even sit at the dinner table with my family to eat, my ankle immediatly begins to swell and fill the cast.

I wish he would just put me in a removable cast and trust me that I will not walk on it. This is just crazy. I have worn casts too many times to count and never had to deal with this. My ankle used to swell before surgery after spending all day on it. Of course it is going to swell now after surgery. I can't believe how tight this cast is. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow at the doctor's office.

Sorry for the strange post, I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Re: Tight Cast

marie on 10/26/03 at 18:24 (135677)

Hey that's ok. That's what we're here for. I have never been in a cast myself so I can't really offer any advice based on personal experience. However if your cast is to tight I think that may hinder your healing. You need to have good circulation for recovery. I know what you mean about owning a business. My husband is in business for himself. He got pnuemonia one winter. He continued to plug away but eventually he had to resolve himself to working half days for about 3 months. He did finally recover physically but it took us 2 years to recover financially.

You really need to figure out a way you can work without being on your feet. What kind of business do you own?

marie

wendyn on 10/26/03 at 18:51 (135678)

That doesn't sound good Chad, I'm glad that you are getting in to see your doctor tomorrow.

Chad H on 10/26/03 at 19:25 (135685)

I own a small copy / print shop. I keep my foot up on my desk on a pillow when I am at work and when I am at home on my computer, but that isn't as good as lying on my back. I have things set up so that I can work half days and as needed, but like I said, I can't spend the next 6 weeks on my back. Doc wants me in this cast for 3 weeks then in a fiberglass walking cast for 3 weeks. I will lose my mind if it continues to be this tight and I continue to swell as much as I am.

marie on 10/26/03 at 21:01 (135701)

Gees Chad if the swelling is that bad you may want to consider going to a Urgent care facility. That just doesn't sound right at all.

My husband and I have both worked for printing companies at one time or another. We are both graphic artists. My husband owns a photgraphy and graphic arts business. He works with several printers. I went back to teaching 13 years ago. I was a art director for a two different printing companies..one small and one big. It can be very sressfull...so take care of yourself.

marie

Ann L on 10/26/03 at 21:13 (135703)

Chad,
A tight cast is not good. Your doctor should have given you more instruction about what to do if the cast feels tight. Elevating is good, and putting ice on it helps somewhat (even through the cast.) Thank goodness you are seeing your doctor tomorrow - most likely the cast will need replacement. If the cast stays too tight for too long, it can do serious damage to the skin trapped in it, and the damage is nothing nice. Good luck tomorrow!!
Ann

stella on 10/26/03 at 23:58 (135715)

i know how u feel i was in plaster cast after other.. i finally am in a walking boot but my foot is already swollen a week later :( my situation cant get any better. I have been out of work since feb 1st and i hate it!

Lari S. on 10/27/03 at 09:31 (135732)

Chad, I sure hope your doctor can give you a removable cast today, or just tight wrapping. I'm sure glad my doc has given me simple wrappings (gauze, padding & Co-Flex). I asked him about casting after reading your first post, and he said he prefered the tight wrapping so he can check the incision at my weekly appts, and so I can do limited exercise with the foot to help with scarring issues. Please let us know how it goes. I know what it feels like when your foot feels like it's going to explode.
Is there anyway you can set up an outdoor lounge chair at your shop so you can prop you foot up on pillows and still get some work done? I also have a business with my Dad. We do speciality wiring for military & commercial aircraft. I set up a lounge chair outdoors with a table and have my laptop, phone, etc. I can then lay on my back or side and still get some work done. I can't do the actual installations, but at least I can do some of the CAD stuff, answer correspondence and make calls.
Lari

Re: update

Chad H on 10/27/03 at 14:28 (135759)

I went in to the office today. The doctor does surgery on Mondays, so he wasn't there. They immediately removed the cast. I talked to his nurse and she was very nice and asked questions and really listened to me. She was concerned about putting me in a boot without first talking to the doctor and having the doctor see me. I can understand that.

I know if I had really pushed I could have gotten them to put me in a boot, but that wasn't my goal. I just wanted out of that tight cast. We both agreed that another cast would be best and that I should continue to take it as easy as possible.

When my original cast was put on, I had just gotten out of bed. My ankle wasn't swollen at all. This time, my ankle was more swollen, and I could tell that the nurse who put the cast on was trying not to wrap it real tight.

I think things will be better. I am going to push for a boot on my next appointment instead of a walking cast. Thank you for all of your kind responses. I will keep you posted.

marie on 10/27/03 at 16:21 (135773)

=D> Phew.... So glad it all worked out. It's so frustrating waiting for doctors....but it sounds like things went well.

best wishes marie

Lari S. on 10/27/03 at 23:21 (135819)

Glad to hear the nurse was so compassionate. Hang in there, and do try and take it easy. Hopefully things will work out with this new cast and your next checkup the doc can give you a boot.
Best wishes,
Lari

Kathy G on 10/28/03 at 10:02 (135850)

I'm so glad they removed it. Many years ago, my mother broke her ankle. She worked in a hospital. She was walking down the corridor on her crutches when a doctor, not her doctor but one who knew her, stopped her. He said, 'Get down to the Emergency Room immediately. That cast has to come off right now!'

She was amazed and asked why. He said, 'Just look at how swollen your leg is above it, and it's turning purple. Come on, we're getting it off right now.'

Sure enough, her foot and leg were incredibly swollen and were purple. She'd never had a cast on before and didn't realize that the swelling wasn't normal. They reapplied a proper cast and she went on to heal properly but I shudder to think what would have happened had that doctor not spotted her in the hall.

That's all I could think of when I read your post and I was so happy that you were going to a doctor. I checked back in specifically to make sure your cast was removed.

Hope that they'll give you the boot at the next appointment.

Re: Not the boot out of the office, but a literal boot!! :D nm

Kathy G on 10/28/03 at 10:04 (135851)

nm