Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fire in Simi

Posted by lee on 10/27/03 at 13:42 (135752)

We've just returned to our house in Simi Valley after evacuating early this morning, Fires swept through my neighborhood, within 20 feet of my house. It even made the news. Thankfully our homes were built to withstand fire so not a single house was lost. You haven't lived until you've pack up your valuables and dogs a week after foot surgery unable to bear weight hobbling around on crutches. By the time my husband got us it to the Red Cross center I was truly in agony. They were very kind trying to get me comfortable while my son dug around the car for my pain medication. But we are home now and the fire is moving toward Chatsworth.

Re: Fire in Simi

Carole C in NOLA on 10/27/03 at 14:13 (135756)

Lee, I am so glad you are all right, and that your house did not burn down!Thank heavens.

I'm sorry to hear how much your foot hurts after this. It sounds like a real nightmare. Let's hope the pain medication will help you get through the next few days.

Carole

Suzanne D on 10/27/03 at 15:13 (135761)

Me, too, Lee! I'm so thankful that your house is alright. And I'm so sorry you're in great pain. A week after surgery ~ I can only imagine!

Take care, and let us hear how things are going for you.

Suzanne :)

marie on 10/27/03 at 16:18 (135771)

Oh I'm so glad you gave us an update. :-s I was very concerned for you...I saw the area you spoke about, in your earlier post, on the news. How fortunate you are to have been spared the loss of your house. Hopefully a year from now it will be one of those adventures that brings your family together as you remember this moment in time.

The Red Cross is great for this stuff. We forget just how much they do for those in need.

best wishes marie

Tammie on 10/27/03 at 16:54 (135782)

My thoughts and best wishes go out to you and your family, I am releived to hear your home was spared and tho you had to go thru this extra stress and pain after your surgery I hope this means that you are very strong and your outcome will be good!~ I will keep thinking of that for you as you have had enough suffering it is time to have some healing and some good news! Good luck keep the smile going!

Necee on 10/27/03 at 20:35 (135799)

My thoughts and prayers are with you Lee and your family as you recover from surgery and having been chased from your home by those fires.
It must have been a very frightening experience, but I'm so glad that your house remains intact.

Necee

Lari S. on 10/27/03 at 23:49 (135821)

You are so fortunate that your homes were built to withstand fire. We replaced our shake roof just for that reason. This is definitely not what you want to have to live through just after surgery. Hopefully the rest of your recovery will be uneventful.
Best wishes,
Lari

Kathy G on 10/28/03 at 09:43 (135844)

Lee,

This is not the way you thought you'd spend your recuperation period, is it? I sure hope everything calms down and you can rest your foot and be more pain free. I'm so glad that your house escaped damage and that you and your family are safe and well.

Take it easy! Hope the rest of the time in your cast is uneventful!

lee on 10/28/03 at 11:08 (135859)

Things have settled down in this neck of the woods. After we returned home the place was crawling with reporter dying to find anyone that would talk to us. Of course, the craziest guy in the neighbor got the most air time! Even my son made the ten o'clock news.

I can't tell you how nice all of you have been with your well wishes. Along with your concern maybe everyone I have ever known has called or emailed. I'm grateful to have such nice people in my life. I'm also grateful that our house was spared, but sad for others that weren't so lucky.

Thankfully, my pain has returned to a manageable level. You're right, this was not how I planned spending my recuperation. Hopefully, the next few weeks will be uneventful!

Suzanne D on 10/28/03 at 11:35 (135862)

So good to hear from you, Lee, and to learn that your home is o.k. and that YOU are o.k.!

As others have said, may the rest of your recovery be uneventful!

Suzanne :)