Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Judy S on 10/27/03 at 20:50 (135802)

Gosh - I don't know where to start!

First, Suzanne, your community's tragedy is unthinkable, isn't it? Remember the one regarding our friend and his son last month? It is impossible to fathom this kind of thing but please know that you and your family have plenty of empathy from me and mine.

Second, Lee- what a nightmare for you! I am lucky in that I did not have to evacuate with a cast on, in pain, and with children! Good that you're home and safe.

Third, how silly do ya'll think I am? I text-messaged John h that I couldn't dial up - we knew there were lines down near our server (our college) and assumed that that was the issue.

Turns out that ALL DAY I couldn't connect because I wasn't dialing '9' first here in our hotel room! :)

Yes, we're still in the hotel and thank you all for your concern and well-wishing. I am grateful.

We elected the hotel instead of family/friends because we have Mickey the cat with us so it's much easier this way.

The fire in the east part of the metropolis was the one that came closest - about 3/4 mile. But it turned a bit this afternoon and went south, plus the winds actually stayed away today! Everyone in town expected them to go on for two more days and that was going to be the deal-breaker. From what we can discern, that particular fire died out in the late afternoon - after taking over 100 homes in the small community of Crest.

The smoke and ash in our area is still very thick and heavy so we elected to stay here in the hotel tonight. Mickey's been freaking out but finds comfort under the quilt on the bed!

Obviously we are among the lucky. Over six hundred homes are gone and twelve people lost their lives. Fire fighting facilities were stretched far too thin and much-needed air support was unavailable due to pre-existing fires in the north of the state. President Bush finally signed authorization for federal fire support but that won't arrive till tomorrow - too little too late!

Hope you all are well and I look forward to 'talking' with you from home :)

Re: lll

Carole C in NOLA on 10/27/03 at 21:03 (135805)

Yay! It's so good to hear from you, Judy. And what great news to hear that the fire turned and died out after missing your house by less than a mile. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that it is gone for good.

You are indeed lucky. For a while there I thought that fire might sweep right into El Cajon, which would have been a terrible disaster. (For those who don't live there, El Cajon is a suburb of San Diego and well populated with homes, and not some isolated country village).

I saw some heart breaking footage on TV, of the fires in other counties. People have lost everything. I don't know what most people could do after losing everything at age 67, like one man that was interviewed by the news media.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 10/27/03 at 21:09 (135807)

Thank goodness, Judy, that the fire which was so near your home has died out now. You must be immensely relieved. I hope that ALL the fires will be contained and soon over. How tragic the loss that has been sustained! You have been on my mind and in my prayers throughout last night and today.

Thank you for your empathy. Of course the stories were many today surrounding the tragedy in our community. The hard facts remain that the young man and woman are dead, and their son is still seriously injured. A little girl in my daughter's classroom who moved here this summer from the adjoining county came in and said, 'My teacher last year was shot last night.' As you know, tragedies like this have their ripple effects which touch more and more lives.

It will be so nice to read that you are HOME, Judy! Get some rest tonight.

Suzanne :)

Re: Fire

Necee on 10/27/03 at 21:14 (135809)

Oh Judy, I'm so glad that the fire missed your home!!

I was reading your posts and wondering if ya'll made it to safety.
I have experienced the very frightening ordeal of having a house fire, and frantically trying to get things together and get out safely, so believe me...I know exactly what your feeling.

Thank goodness you will have something to return to.
Let us know how things are going there.

Re: P.S.!!! Don't forget your feet! lol

Carole C in NOLA on 10/27/03 at 21:21 (135811)

I forgot to say..... talk about stress!! You've been through the mill. So don't forget your stretching. You'll be glad next week if your feet get through this week. Between the beach volleyball, the fire, and stress, you have some foot challenges to overcome!

Carole C

Bob G. on 10/28/03 at 00:20 (135824)

Glad the fire missed your home. Don't think Bush could have gotten there in time, but he would have if he could have. My lady knows him personlly from serving him as his flight attandant not long ago.

You are invited to my house-warming party on November 14th. Live music. You know my number or find me at The Buoy. Glad you are safe. Regards.

Julie on 10/28/03 at 01:44 (135827)

Judy, you have been in my thoughts constantly - I'm so relieved that you're all right. I'm immnensely impressed by your cool head in the crisis - I can only begin to imagine what it must have been like to be facing the possible loss of your home. Keep well, and I hope you can return home soon.

Re: Hey Bob!

Necee on 10/28/03 at 08:16 (135833)

Can we all come to your housewarming party??????
We promise to be good, and not start a fight.

Happy trails....

marie on 10/28/03 at 10:08 (135852)

Phew......So glad you are ok. I was thinking of you and all the work you've been doing on your house. So glad your house survived and mostly that you, John and of course Mickey are ok.

Put your feet up and relax at the hotel.

best wishes marie

JudyS on 10/29/03 at 14:14 (135956)

You're on my calendar, Bob G.