Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

baby, football, etc

Posted by JudyS on 10/27/03 at 21:49 (135816)

I'm having trouble 'replying' to posts so I don't know if I'm being repetative here...

Necee, I remember Maureen - I think she lives in central California? A baby! Good for her - thanks for letting us know.

Wow - using a dial-up connection is pretty durn slow! I sure got spoiled with my cable connection.

BTW - as usual I wasn't as succinct as I should have been a post or two ago - I didn't mean to imply that any of you, my PF pals, necessarily thought I was silly (although it would be a justifiable impression!) - I was attempting to describe just how silly I was by failing to dial '9' for an outside line to connect. I'm getting sillier by the minute I think!

Now, however, I'm in a serious quandary. There's only one television in this hotel room. And apparently it can get ONLY Monday Night Football. :)

What's a poor girl to do?

But I have a plan - it involves a DVD movie, a headset, and my laptop!

Re: baby, football, etc

Pam S. on 10/27/03 at 23:32 (135820)

Dear Judy:
I have not posted for a while but I just read all of your posts. I cannot believe what a sense of humor you have right now with all you have been through. You must be giddy with joy that you did not lose your home. I am very happy for you and so saddened by those who lost loved ones or homes. I cannot imagine.

I have recently been away visiting my daughter in Northern CA. It was sooo hot and dry I could not believe it. But I must tell you, I never felt better. The sun just never stopped shining.

When my girls were very small we lived in Pasadena. It was a beautiful neighborhood by the old Huntington Hotel. I have one memory there I will entertain you with, Judy. One night those Santa Ana winds came thru and a home behind us caught fire. We had firemen on our roof all night. The beautiful palms that lined our street went up in flames like torches as the sparkes flew. We had a stucco home with a red tile roof and that saved us that night. Our lawn chairs even melted. My husband,who loves to entertain and is very outgoing, had a coffee stand out in our front yard serving all the firemen all night long with weary me running back and forth with every carafe I could find!!!!! Boy, I had good feet back in those days. So many great CA memories and I love the climate but you do have your drawbacks. Just like we have blizzards and sme4es.

Just thought I would share that since you are BORED...but I am happy you are all safe and sound. What a scare. Warmly, Pam

Lari S. on 10/28/03 at 00:07 (135822)

Judy, so glad to hear that you and your family are safe and sound. Wonderful news that your home escaped the fire. It is so tragic watching the fire coverage with so many lives, homes and property lost to the ravages of fire. Living out in the boonies, we've spent 3 different times in the past 18 years packing essentials/animals to be ready to flee, and then madly hosing down everything while watching flames 40 foot high approach. I know they have sent a lot of CDF crews from this area (no. CA) down south, but assure us that they can handle any immediate fire in this area. (They are our only fire protection.)

I had to laugh when you said dial up is so slow. That's all we've got out here. My dial up is at a blazing 9.6kbs tonight. Snail mail would be faster. lol

Take care,
Lari

Re: baby, football, etc, etc.

Kathy G on 10/28/03 at 09:39 (135843)

Thank God you and your family and home have escaped the worst of it, Judy. It is so horrible; I can't even fathom what it must be like to be that close to fire. My sister lived on Balboa Island back in the mid- sixties and when she first told us about the Santa Anas, I was amazed. A sixteen year old kid from NH didn't know such a thing existed. She emailed me to say how well she remembers the ashes on her car and the smell of the smoke in the air from fires fifty miles away. Since she is in the process of trying to decide how to rebuild her house which was destroyed in the hurricane, she says she has a new understanding for the people who have lost everything. In her case, she just lost the bottom of her house and some of her furniture. She didn't lose everything as these people have.

Unlike you, I wouldn't have minded that all the TV could get was the football game last night! Of course, it wasn't that great a game but I watched most of it anyhow. It took some quick organizing to get it moved in such a short time. The police department in Arizona must have been just thrilled with all the traffic.

What will the schools do about the students making up the days they've missed? Will they shorten vacations or make the school year longer? And did people who couldn't get to work get paid anyway? I keep thinking of the financial repercussions of such a tragedy. And, judging from how slow things are moving in Maryland, it will be a while before these people can get insurance and FEMA money to start to rebuild their homes. As someone posted, thank goodness for the Red Cross and bless the firefighters who wilingly put their lives on the line.

Thanks for letting us all know how you are!

Re: On Line Word Game!

marie on 10/28/03 at 10:13 (135853)

Cool Plan!B-)I'd like anything invovling a DVD, head phones and a lap top.

Glad you're ok.

I did learn a new message board game recently. One person starts with a word or topic. Then the next replies with a word and so on. It's a word association game. WARNING It's kinda addicting once ya get started.

I'll start!

'Heal Pain'

Rick R on 10/28/03 at 10:55 (135856)

Glad to hear you are safe. Sounds like the TV was working fine to me. Wish I could say the same for the Chargers.

Rick

Kathy G on 10/28/03 at 14:15 (135875)

They looked pathetic, didn't they? I figure that maybe we can write some of it off to being distracted about the situation back home. But what was there excuse the other six games they lost?

As a New Englander, I kept hoping they'd put good ol' Doug Flutie in. He wouldn't have done any worse!

Rick R on 10/28/03 at 15:43 (135880)

I love Flutie. I was in the stands in Soldier Field chanting 'Flutie'
as we watched what should have been another superbowl go down the drain with Tomzak at the helm and an injured McMahon on the bench. Doug could light it up even with minimal exposure to the team. Jimmy Mac shot him down because he knew what kind of competition he had. He was the team leader and the guys followed, in this case down the road to destruction.

Drew Breeze is also my guy so it's tough to see him have trouble. I went to Purdue so I have to stick by my guy. Except next week of course

Rick

marie on 10/28/03 at 16:37 (135884)

All right another hoosier graduate. My hubby has a degree from Purdue.

marie

Rick R on 10/28/03 at 17:02 (135886)

Clearly a superior being, my you are blessed. What kind of Boilermaker? My paper says Mechanical Engineer 1978, and yes I had to have help with the spelling.

Rick

marie on 10/28/03 at 19:22 (135893)

Actually we both graduated from IU in 1979....so you may change your mind about the superior mind. My husband got a second degree in computer programing from Purdue, 1984. I don't know what the exact wording is. It's always a struggle who to root for when they play each other in basketball. Of course I root for everyone...because i don't know what is going on most of the time and just clap when everyone else does.

Mechanical Engineers always have a special place in my heart as they are the artsy engineers....that goes for Civies too.

marie

Re: baby, football, etc / no more yet from judy?

nancy s. on 10/28/03 at 21:12 (135903)

howdy. i left sunday afternoon on a trip to visit my mother and just got home. before i left on sunday, here was carole writing level-headed and quick advice to judy as the evacuation situation developed -- carole, you were fantastic! -- not to mention judy herself, whom i wouldn't mind having lead me out of a fire either.

so judy, you and john and mickey are still safe and still at the hotel?

is yesterday (monday) the last time judy posted? i'm just trying to catch up here. my mother has no computer/internet, and neither do any of her friends. (they're still living in the '50s and happy about it, and some days i envy them for it.) but i thought of judy several times each day, and it was so frustrating to get so little news via the tv or newspapers. i'm just home and catching up now. it sounds like julie in england and wendy in canada were getting more fire news than we got at my mother's on cape cod!

i'm glad judy and family got out, and lee as well. it would be nice to hear from judy today. maybe she's still forgetting to dial 9 first at the hotel. (we just changed from dial-up to dsl, and i'd probably forget the 9 already myself.)

nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 10/28/03 at 21:39 (135906)

You're right. It's terribly difficult to find out what's going on, or at least it seems so to me.

I saw one news report yesterday that mentioned ash all over everything, even by the beach in San Diego. That was a little disheartening. However, I haven't seen any reports of fire getting anywhere near the beach in San Diego County, and I read that the winds died down.

I am hoping that Judy, John, and the cat are all still safely in a hotel near the beach.

What scares me more, is tomorrow. There is a story on Drudge talking about how both fires in S.D. County (the 45 mile long Cedar Fire and the Otay Fire) are close to joining together and making a 'superfire'. I don't like the sound of that a bit, especially with all freeways out of town closed (if they still are).

WHY aren't there more planes with fire retardant chemicals to drop? If they are too dangerous to drop on houses, why not drop them out in the burning forests. Maybe the airport closures are keeping the firefighting planes grounded.

Thanks for the kind words, Nancy. As you said, Judy is a smart and level headed woman, and she already had a pretty good idea already of what to do. I am just so glad she found her cat.

Carole C

Necee on 10/29/03 at 01:12 (135916)

I saw on the news that there are planes dropping flame retardant on the neighborhoods, sure hope it works.

They reported that the firefighters are working long hours with no rest or food to eat, and that getting relief crews in there is becoming very difficult because they are dispatched to other areas in need.

God bless them all !!

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 10/29/03 at 07:30 (135922)

Good, I'm glad to hear that they are using fire retardant from planes! All I had seen was water being dropped.

Carole C