Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ingrown toenail: partial toenail avulsion botched?

Posted by johna on 10/29/03 at 12:28 (135941)

Hi docs. Sorry, this isn't a PF question, though I have that too :-) I haven't posted here in a long while, though I still lurk occasionally.

I recently had a partial toenail avulsion done to relieve an ingrown nail on my big toe. I think my podiatrist botched the procedure and wanted some other opinions. Can I upload a picture somehow? If not, here's my best attempt at how it looks: about 2 mm of nail was removed in a straight line back to the cuticle, and from there, it looks like he was unable to procede straight back, and so had to angle inward. At some point it looks like he pulled on the cut piece of nail too hard, with the result being that a portion of the nail that was to remain untouched was ripped off the nail matrix. At this point in time, 3 months afterwards, the nail has grown forward and it is much easier to see the angled in portion and what looks to be the bare matrix beneath it. Phenol was also applied to the matrix to kill it and prevent the nail from regrowing, and so, I believe that it is not going to grow back properly.

Of course, I had the stupidity to accuse the guy of botching it in a letter that was read by his staff, and his lawyers threatened to sue for slander unless I retracted. I did that in as apologetic a manner as I could because I was just not up for a battle (though I'm still worried that he will sue anyway). However I still feel I was justified in questioning the outcome of the particular procedure he performed on me: no matter how immaculate his reputation may have been, he can still have botched it in my case.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Re: ingrown toenail: partial toenail avulsion botched?

johna on 11/06/03 at 16:51 (136582)

Come on guys! Someone must have something to say about this. Can I email someone a picture of my mutilated toe for a second opinion? (and no, I won't use anyone's name in any lawsuit I might end up being involved in)

wendyn on 11/06/03 at 22:58 (136615)

john, I don't know if there is anyone here who can help you - but you may want to check out footlaw.com (I think that's the website)

johna on 11/13/03 at 16:56 (137420)

Yeah, thanks wendy, I guess footlaw.com is more appropriate. But I was hoping for some informal opinions from the docs here first.

Julie on 11/14/03 at 02:46 (137469)

John, why don't you email Dr Z. He has been away for awhile but is back now and is probably trying to catch up, but I'm sure you'll get an answer from him. Failing that, post your original post again - depending on how he reads the board he may not have seen it.

Sorry about your toenail and the unpleasantness with the doctor. I'm guessing that the threat to sue was a bluff, intended to forestall any move towards litigation by you. Which doesn't make it any less unpleasant.