Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chad how are you doing?

Posted by marie on 10/29/03 at 19:05 (135976)

Hope you are feeling better since that tight cast was removed.

best wishes marie

Re: Chad how are you doing?

Chad H on 10/30/03 at 10:59 (136000)

I am doing okay, but still having the exact same pain in my tarsal tunnel area. I am pretty discouraged. I want to believe that things are still healing and that they may / will get better with time.

The problem is that this is my 3rd TTS release. I know the routine and I don't think anything has changed.

I am excited that I might have increased movement in my ankle due to the achilles lengthening. I am looking forward to see how much difference that makes.

I guess we will see what happens after some PT, but I don't expect much.

I still am very confused as to what is wrong with the nerve in this area. Is the nerve just too damaged? Do I have something else wrong in the area? Can anything ever be done? I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am just going to have to live with and deal with this issue for the rest of my life. At 31, it is tough for me to visualize 50 more years of this type of pain.

So that is why I haven't posted a message lately, just pretty discouraged. Sorry for posting such a downer of a message. I am doing okay, just taking it day by day.

Lari S. on 10/30/03 at 20:47 (136027)

Hang in there Chad. I was 34 when I was dx'd with Type 1 diabetes, and then told 4 yrs ago that I had diabetic neuropathy. At least the neuropathy turned out to be TTS. I still have to deal 24/7 with the diabetes, but hopeful that the TTS surgery will give me back some of my life. I know you've been through this before, but maybe you have to give yourself a little more time to heal. The swelling in the cast certainly didn't help. I've only had 3 PT sessions, but the ultra sound for scarring really seems to be making a difference, as are the exercises.

Chad H on 10/31/03 at 12:09 (136079)

Thanks for the kind response. I am really looking forward to PT. This time I promise to work harder at it than I ever have in the past. I think this is vital to the recover process.

I am glad to hear that PT is going well for you.

I can't believe that the doctor wants to put me in a fiberglass walking cast for 3 weeks after I get this cast off. THEN he wants to put me in a boot. That would be 8 total weeks in casts and then an additional 3 weeks in a boot. Personally, I think that is WAY to much. I am going to push for a boot on my next visit. 2 weeks from today.

Lari S. on 11/01/03 at 11:50 (136131)

Good luck to you Chad. I don't think I could stand to be in a cast that long. Maybe that has to do with the lengthening of your achilles tendon. Has your doc given you any indication of WHY he wants you strickly in a cast for that long? I know I've gotten a lot of benefit out of the exercises (figure 8's, rolling a frozen can of oj with my foot, the A,B,C's, etc.)and ultrasound. It will be a month this Monday since my surgery, and I am supposed to start putting more weight on the foot then, so I can get rid of the crutches. My son that's in the AF stationed in England is supposed to arrive the 7th, so I hope to be able to meet the plane in the walking boot.

Please keep us posted, even if you feel it's a 'downer'. Some times it helps just to have someone to complain to that understands what you're going through and your frustrations.