Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Faciitis

Posted by JOSE L. on 10/30/03 at 23:00 (136040)

I work 8-10 hours a day, as a machine shop manager. I do a lot of walking and our shop floors are made of concrete.About two months ago, I started to experience severe pain at the bottom arch towards the heel area.Three weeks ago I went to see a foot doctor and was diagnosed with having Plantar Faciitis. I have flat feet, and walking on the concrete floors on a daily basis did not help my condition.Could this be considered as a workman's comp case? Please advise.Thanks.....

Re: Plantar Faciitis

Richard, C.Ped on 10/31/03 at 07:48 (136046)

In my experience, I have never had someone with PF file a workers comp claim if it is just a normal stress and overuse injury. I have had cases where someone developed PF in some sort of work related accident. About 85% or so of patients we see have PF.

We see so many that work in similar conditions and have the same foot type. I would suggest a good supportive orthosis with alot of cushion. Check you insurance to see if custom foot orthotics are a covered benefit.

I may very well be wrong about the workers comp situation. Maybe someone else will post their experience with this.
Richard

Rick R on 10/31/03 at 10:22 (136060)

Jose,

One of the contributing factors to my PF onset was a safety shoe (employer dictated) requirement in a machine shop environment. I have never found safety shoes I can wear.

Rick

john k on 11/02/03 at 13:13 (136196)

I was a postal worker and I got workers compensation for PT and TTS diagnosed by an orthopedist. Federal workers compensation is different than the states so I don't know if non federal employment would work.

john k