Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Would you recommend?

Posted by Kathy on 10/31/03 at 17:55 (136096)

I'm a teacher with 20 years experience & PF & TTS. I've been wearing a removable walking cast now for about 5 weeks & trying all kinds of vitamins, etc. I think some of my pain could be relieved by standing on a rubber mat (the kind cashiers use) while I'm teaching instead of the solid concrete floor. Of course, I don't stand in one spot, but if I had a large mat in front of the chalkboard, I think it might help. My principal & school nurse feel I would need a doctor's written recommendation before the school board would purchase the inexpensive mat for my classroom. Plus, I think they are worried about worker's comp. Has anyone tried the extra cushioning at work or can anyone recommend a company to purchase these mats? Thanks!

Re: Would you recommend?

Ron B on 10/31/03 at 18:37 (136098)

Kathy
I work in a Bakery, I stand in one spot MOST of the night! I have a rubber mat to stand on but not sure if it helps. But I keep using it. Have some good night and some bad. I would give it a try, it can't make your feet hurt and worse

Suzanne D. on 10/31/03 at 19:16 (136103)

Kathy, this is my 24th year of teaching (actually, 26th, if you count two years of almost full-time subbing), and I have PF. We moved to a new school last December with long hallways and concrete floors. I was improved at the time of our move, but it took - and is still taking - a toll on my feet.

I bought (with my own money) a thick pad and carpet that covers about 2/3 of my room. 'They' did not want me to carpet the entire room and balked somewhat about putting tape down around the edges, but in the end, they let me. I can tell a big difference when I can stay mostly in my room. I have my room set up with the carpet in the area where the children's desks are (where I spend most of my time) and where I stand to write at the marker board.

I also use a high stool in that area when I am reading to them (first grade), and that gives me a break from standing.

I would encourage you to try the mat (or a thick pad and piece of carpet. I think you would notice a difference immediately.

Good luck!
Suzanne :)

Kathleen on 10/31/03 at 20:22 (136108)

Costco has them. I have two in the kitchen. They do help

DR PEPPER on 10/31/03 at 23:16 (136115)

The day you people go seek medical attention the day I will drop my dr.pepper bottle in cheer for joy. You don,t relize how much time your wasting while you get be in the docs office getting some good results and probly a faster healing process done. Again I think most of you suffer a case of extreme tension, which means you worrie to much and your joints and hole body tightens up! Therefore you suffer strain and pain,,,,and not to metion stupid sydrome. By the way I,am not a docter my name is named dr.pepper due to the fact I have been known to drink 20 a day,,,,,which makes my bones big and strong>>>>>>Put your clothes on get off your lazy hides and bring your wallet and drive to the clinic,,,,,it,s the only way to heal,,,,,

marie on 11/01/03 at 09:45 (136123)

Some of what you say may be true. So what's your excuse for continuing to post here? You may consider taking your own advice. In the meantime consider locating a spell check for your computer...I thought my spelling was bad. Yikes!

I apologise in advance for responding to this post but felt it should be said.

marie

Rick R on 11/01/03 at 10:27 (136125)

Marie,
The shame of it all is that our pesty fellow probably reflects the attitude many of us face with this condition in the real world. Don't we wish it was that simple. I wonder how many of us were successful in that first doctor visit, I'd guess hmmmmm NONE. Let's see I went through 3 doctors, and a decade before I saw any improvement. And the guy that finally got it right after all that time was....... oh yea, me, when I carted my own course. So now we have the information age upon us and we can tap right in to the small community of both medical professionals and regular folk that can save others that kind of experience. And then we have the Pepster and undoubtedly many others that think we should just hobble down to the local clinic. I have to go now and knap a weapon out of a flint nodule before the next saber tooth tiger tries to enter the cave.

Rick

Suzanne D on 11/01/03 at 11:02 (136126)

I'll bet you DO have successful presentations, Rick! (reference to another thread on the social board) Your humor is refreshing and relieves some of the tension. Because for the poster above to refer to 'you people' as being too lazy to do anything about our conditions really riles me! But your post helped calm me down, so thanks.

Suzanne :)

Rick R on 11/01/03 at 11:24 (136127)

Suzanne,

Thanks for the nice comments. Gee I guess I need to take that step in technology that might cure my spelling. Never has been a strength, ACT verbal score: 11.

Rick

John H on 11/01/03 at 11:41 (136129)

I am the king of recognized poor spellers so no one should try to replace me. My greatest accomplishment this past year was Suzzane taught me to spell ' a lot' not 'a lot'! I still picture that guy at the blackboard she mentioned with a on one end and lot on the other. I could remember the algebraic formula---

Re: TO Kathy

Pam S. on 11/01/03 at 14:02 (136139)

Dear Kathy:
Your question was a great one. It is a perfect question for a board like this because it is just good practical advice you never have time to ask a doctor. Also , that doctor has never shopped for a mat and we all have.
Your time with a doctor is max 20 minutes and I have never had a doctor tell me any great day to day tips for dealing with pain.

Those day to day tips are exactly what boards like this are great for.
I just would be willing to bet the number of posters who have never been to a doctor to ask for 'Medical' help is very minimal.

You can also go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and get those cushy mats for in from of your black board if worse comes to worse. I put those down in my kitchen.
They actually have some cute ones. My hairdresser has a big rubber, black mat she talked the owner of the salon into putting down at her station which helps her feel (but she does not have TTS). Keep asking questions. You will find good, helpful answers most of the time here. Warmly, Pam

Re: TO Kathy

Kathy on 11/01/03 at 14:29 (136141)

Thanks to all the supportive replies. I have been to my wonderful doctor many times but still find lots of support & info from these boards.

marie on 11/01/03 at 14:36 (136143)

If it wasn't for this site and the information here...I probably would have been a casuality instead of a survivor. Some will come here only for a time until they heal, some will stick around and help others in need, some are pre-occupied with health issues, some will come here to distract hemselves from their conditions, some will come here for an entire host of reasons....that's what the world is full of. People who are diverse and indeed they are many. I often think of heelspurs as a small town....filled with some of the most interesting folks around.

Thanks for sharing.

marie

marie on 11/01/03 at 14:39 (136144)

:D

Unfortunately for me my big ....and way older brothers, kept all the letters I wrote to them while they were overseas. So I have well documented evidence of my poor spelling. Someday I'm going to get those letters and burn them.

The word that gave me the toughest time was 'party'. It's funny because I love to go to and have them.

marie

Re: what shoes do u use for standing long hours?

Liam on 11/01/03 at 17:38 (136152)

I also stand long hours, and I'm wearing nb1004 with my custom hard orthodics, but the pain has gotten worst, so I'm trying birk blue footbeds.
But are there other shoes you guys use, that have more padding?
Thanx

Kathy on 11/01/03 at 19:00 (136155)

I'm wearing NB 842 with custom ortho. I'm planning to buy some Birks when I get out of my walking cast.

marie on 11/01/03 at 21:06 (136164)

I wear softbed birks mostly. Arizona and Boston. I have several pairs of birks now....you could say I have a 'COLLECTION'. LOL I stand, run and walk all day on hard cement floors. By Friday I am a little weak but not bad. Nothing like I was.

Pam S. on 11/01/03 at 23:22 (136178)

I have really found relief from rotating shoes throughout the day. I do not know what that does but it helps with foot fatigue and pain - maybe it enhances circulation to change foot wear?? Find two or three pairs you know are comfy and SUPPORTIVE and change every few hours. I personally find orthodics impossible but that is because I have totally sensitive feet. BUT I have read that many peole have difficulty tolerating them all day long. Just my unprofessional observation....pam

ps I find Mephistoes agree with me rather than Birks but I am in the minority I think.

John H on 11/02/03 at 10:38 (136186)

Kathy: sleep with a pair under your pillor.

John H on 11/02/03 at 10:39 (136187)

Soft bed Birks and Mesphitos (expensive) have some good shoes with support and a soft bed.

John H on 11/02/03 at 10:40 (136188)

Marie: A nice little town that is sometimes like Salem or Amityville but for the most part like downtown USA.

Pauline on 11/02/03 at 14:00 (136198)

Has anyone tried a brand called 'THINK' shoes? They are made in Austria. Similar foot bed to Birks, but without the high arch bulge smack in the center of the foot. I think they are better for someone that cannot stand that Birkie bump.

Ron B on 11/02/03 at 19:59 (136222)

I am on my feet all night!!! most of the time standing in one spot. I use a rubber mat. I have a pair on NB 854. just bought. Brooks ' The Beast' one lady in the store told me her doc told her she need surgery. and to wear the Beast until her surgery. she has been wearing them for three years with NO surgery yet! swears by them. they are comfortable about $89.00 at Brooks outlet store

Dr.pepper on 11/03/03 at 15:59 (136282)

My freind that is what I,am here for,it will ease tension,,,,,they call me dr.pepper for a good reason...

Rick R on 11/03/03 at 17:55 (136289)

Well my friend, then why is it you would suggest to friends to get off their lazy buts and go to the clinic and of course call them stupid. As I recal, they call you Dr.Pepper because you down 20 or so a day, to which you attribute your robust skeletal structure. By the way, I much prefer diet Dr Pepper. You may want to research the effects of sugar and caffine, or perhaps seek a medical professional on the topic.

Rick