Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Running and orthotics

Posted by Halie on 11/01/03 at 18:54 (136154)

1.5 years ago I developed a severe inflammation in my ankles, caused by my flat feet. The doctor personalized for me a pair of orthotics and told me to wear them at ALL times. This, plus physiotherapy, finally made the inflammation go away.
I started running a few weeks ago. I got the Mizuno Wave Renegate shoes, which are specifically designed for people with flat feet. However, when I run on them with the orthotics, it's extremely uncomfortable. Usually the orthotics feel very comfortable. I tried running without the orthotics, and it felt so much better.
My question is: despite what my doctor told me, should I run without the orthotics? I mean, running is not the same as walking, so perhaps orthotics designed for regular day to day activity are not recommended for running?

Link to the shoes I got:
http://www.mizunousa.com/products.nsf/ProductSearch/A41B061CD6ABE6E085256BEB0062DD6A?opendocument

Re: Running and orthotics

Pauline on 11/02/03 at 14:56 (136201)

Halie,
I'm not a doctor, but I think it will be a matter of trial an error when it comes to which shoes you choose and whether you can use your orthotics in them for running.

If you've not tried the orthotics in a different pair of running shoes you may want to start there. Sometimes they don't mix. It could be the stiffness of the shoe or the shape, or maybe how it elevates your orthotic toooo much.

Become a detective and begin to switch shoes to see if it makes a difference. Going back to your old pair of running shoes may provide some relief. See how they differ from the new Mizuno's.

I talk with your doctor wouldn't hurt either. Let him help you to examine the situation that you are experiencing. He made the orthotics so don't leave him out of the loop.

Above all listen to your feet. Don't run through the pain or you may end up with a new case of P.F. Not something anyone here wants.
Best of luck and give your doctor a call.

Jean on 11/03/03 at 07:19 (136243)

Halie,

I also have flat feet which caused back pain (sciatica) after running.I do not think it is a good idea to wear both orthotics and in-built soles.What works for me is to remove the inner soles of my reeboks and replace them with my orthotics.No more feet orback pains.
Hope it helps

Jean

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/03/03 at 13:48 (136271)

Halie,

You're correct, running is not the same as walking and running shoes are not the same as walking shoes. The Mizuno shoes are a running shoe designed to give support and decrease pronation. As a result, the combination of a 'motion control' shoe and your orthoses may be TOO much control, therefore you are experiencing discomfort. It may be wise to bring the shoe and the orthoses to your doctor for an evaluation, before you start running without the orthoses. Your body/feet are the best way to measure the success or failure of a particular treatment. If you're listening to your doctor and still have discomfort, you must let him/her know.

Susan J. on 11/04/03 at 18:02 (136383)

Halie,
I have also been running in Mizuno although I have the Legends. I have been running with just a cheap drug store gel orthotic added under the shoe insert for extra shock absorbing. I am also trying to land on the balls of my feet instead of heel first. I tried running with custom-made orthotics, but mine were too stiff. I had to stop running for about 4 months because of the pain, but I am on my way to recovery. I stretch twice a day and ice when needed. I am also seeing a chiropractor who massages my feet twice weekly and stretches them too. Good luck on finding the right combination of shoes and insoles for your running. I'm glad to know someone else is getting into the game!