Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel syndrome

Posted by BOB KAHLER on 11/03/03 at 18:40 (136290)

Does tts always present itself with radiating pain to either the toes or bottm of the foot or can it be present just with localized inner ankle pain. Also when will a pod, or neroulgist do surgery? When will they think one is a surgical canidate?

Re: tarsal tunnel syndrome

Chad H on 11/03/03 at 19:28 (136291)

Bob,

For me, it has always and only been inner ankle pain. Specifically, pain in just one spot about an inch in diameter.

However, this pain has affected the way I walk and the way I moved my ankle and after 7 years has really screwed up my entire right leg. I actually just had my forth surgery 3 weeks ago.

My advice would be to really take it slow. I would recommend finding an ortho who specializes in foot and ankle, or an pod who has a lot of experience with TTS.

Don't rush into surgery. Please don't rush into surgery.

Lari S. on 11/03/03 at 20:22 (136298)

I agree with Chad. Seek help from a doc who really knows about foot/ankle ailments. Try all the recomendations (exercises, etc.) to see if that will relieve your symptoms. TTS surgery is not a cure all as my doc made plain to me. However, we had tried everything else and that was the option that was left.
Lari

marie on 11/04/03 at 06:13 (136315)

Some pods do surgery. Usually an ankle and foot surgeon does the surgery for tts. It depends on what is causing the entrpment. As the others have said....find a doctor who is experienced with tts release and don't be afraid to ask him/her what their success rate is.

best wishes marie

LARA on 11/04/03 at 07:31 (136322)

I don't think there is a 'textbook' case of TTS. I've seen lists of symptoms made by knowledgeable and competent people on this board and don't know that I would have recognized it with my symptoms. That probably doesn't help much, and there certainly are things that fall under the umbrella, and other things that are definitely outside the umbrella.

There are some pods that are experienced in doing TTS surgery - some are more experienced than any particular orthopod. As has already been said, you just need to ask the surgeon about their experience with TT release surgery.

When the doctor will do surgery is individual too. I had two doctors (one pod, one orthopod doing research on TTS) ready to do surgery as soon as I scheduled it. I had two others recommend against surgery if I had developed a reasonable life with more conservative treatments. Surgery below the knee is much more problematic than other surgeries - there just isn't the blood flow that aids in the healing process. Infections are more common in foot surgery (by no means the majority, just more often), and scar tissue is an issue. In fact, from 'listening' (virtually speaking) to Sharon, finding a surgeon who is on top of the issue of scar tissue can be critical.

Unfortunately, TTS is sufficiently new to the medical world that the protocols haven't been developed and the data isn't available in the amount we'd like or are used to for other surgeries.

BOB on 11/04/03 at 21:17 (136395)

In my case you couldnt wait months or years . I started losing muscle in the bottom of my foot .It sank right in and toes started to get the curling up of hammertoe. I had it severely due to my job of delivery at ups and being on my feet 12hours a day expedited the progression of TTS. I now have nerve damage , muscle loss, numbess and am 3 weeks out of surgery. Hopefully my nerve will regenerate, but my muscle in the bottom of foot will not per doctors prior cases. Always do whatever you can to prevent surgery ,but sometimes there is no alternative.From the time I went to the doctor and had surgery was 7/25/03 to date of surgery 10/14/03 GOOD LUCK

BOB KAHLER on 11/05/03 at 18:37 (136481)

bob,

Coincididentally, i am a delivery person for the post office and also am on my feet all day, but i am only 33yrs old. did you report this as work related even though there was no speciic incident that caused tts? And did you receive a limited duyt assignment? please let me know.

BOB on 11/10/03 at 13:28 (136960)

Yes I reported it when I found out it was TTS. They UPS wouldnt treat it as a work injury and will only give you light duty if its comp. Im 35yrs old and been driving and delivering for over 10Years. The company does whatever it can to prevent you from filing a comp claim . At any givem time 15 -20% of the drivers are off due to work injurys. I now have an attorney working on it . All the doctors say its work related so its a matter of going thru the process. The company wants you to file for disability so they dont have another comp claim . Disability only lasts 6mos. and your screwed without insurance , a check , and a job after that . And only pays about 2hundred weekly , hard to live off of . At UPS every driver has mandatory overtime all year round , theres no such thing as an 8hr day ,you work 10 -12hours m-f all year around . overtime is cheaper to pay than hiring extra people . Its always been that way for full time employees.