Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO

Posted by Ron B on 11/03/03 at 20:07 (136294)

Has anyone tried DMSO?? for PF. If so in what form? roll on,liquid, or gel? I have been reading up on it. I think I will give it a shot

Re: DMSO

nancy s. on 11/03/03 at 20:10 (136295)

ron, try a search of this site for posts on DMSO. quite a bit has been posted about it here in the past.

nancy

Ron B on 11/03/03 at 20:21 (136297)

Nancy
thanks, I am reading past post now. I have been taking MSM for a week. don't notice anything yet. Ice seems to increase my pain NOT help

nancy s. on 11/03/03 at 22:02 (136306)

ron, i didn't get much effect from msm either, but many people have, and i think a week is probably far too short a time to tell if it will help you. i would give it at least a month.

ice helps increase circulation and decrease inflammation in most pf sufferers, but there are always exceptions. i'm not a doc, but if ice increases your pain, i think you should not use it and consult your doc.

nancy

marie on 11/04/03 at 06:10 (136314)

Ron,

I have been taking Gucosamine and MSM for over a year. It takes several months before you may see any change. If you are in the midst of a flare up it may take a while longer. It does help. PF takes a long time to heal. Like you, I was so frustrated because I didn't see any improvement in two weeks....I'd never been sick for a long time with a chronic pain. I was use to instant recovery. My PT finally sat me down and in his best sweet, sugary voice told me that it took years for this to develop and it will take years to recover. I said 'WHAT! I don't have years to mess with this.' Well I found out quickly that I do have years because I didn't have any other choice. Be patient, stay on course and remember someone is always around for help.

marie

Ron B on 11/04/03 at 10:32 (136345)

Marie
I didn't mean to sound frustrated that the MSM hadn't helped in only one week. I was just making a statement that I have been taking it for a week. I plan on giving it a shot for at least two months. I have an appoint with my doc. in an hour. will see what he has to say. I read somewhere to take vit. C with MSM so I am

marie on 11/04/03 at 12:15 (136356)

cool

BrianG on 11/05/03 at 10:41 (136434)

Hi Ron,

I used DMSO for a number of months, maybe even a year. I used the gel form, which was 99.5% pure. I used it with some different topical solutions, to help the topicals to penertrate my skin, to get it where it would supposeldly do some good. You have to be very careful with DMSO, as it can can bring almost anything it comes in contact with, through the pores, beneath the skin. It's powerful stuff. I always put it on my heels, after putting a cheap sandwich bag on my hand. Then throw it (bag) out, without letting it touch any part of you.

I used a variety of topicals, including 5% lidocain gel, MSM cream, Jade 168, Tiger Balm, etc, etc !!! I am a human gunea pig! :*) Unfortunatly none of it helped at all :*(

Good luck, and make sure you understand how DMSO works before trying it.
BrianG

PS: I bought mine from: FWI, Tulsa, Ok. which I could not find on the Net, just now. There are many places to buy it though, just make sure to get as pure a grade as possible, as it is not approved for humans, by the FDA.

Ron B on 11/05/03 at 14:42 (136450)

Brian
LOL thanks thats NOT what I wanted to hear!! I wanted you to tell me you tried it once and it took ALL the pain away then you went out and ran 10 miles!!! and you were fine LOL. I got a roll on (like a deodorant stick) it is 99.85 % pure. I got it at the feed store. I work nights and can shower at work. after I showered at work this morning I tryed it for the first time. it helped a little but not like I was hoping for I will keep trying until at least this bottle runs out. I don't have to touch it because it rolls on. Doesn't cost much. so how are you doing with your PF ?? you find anything that helps?? I gave up on the ice!! hurts me too bad I have my feet on the heating pad as I sit here

johnh on 11/05/03 at 19:48 (136492)

Brian some of that hot stuff really really did get hot once the socks were on and my feet heated up. I was ready for serious ice real quick.

BrianG on 11/06/03 at 15:30 (136574)

My feet got so hot one time at work, after putting on capsaicin cream, they were burning up!!! I had to go into the showers, and take my shoes and socks off, to wash the cream off my heels. Even then it was too late, agony all day. Will NEVER do that again !!!!! hahahahaha

Regards
BrianG