Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT healing screwed up?

Posted by chrisb on 11/04/03 at 15:02 (136365)

Hi folks -
I had ESWT in early September. At 3 weeks I felt slight improvement, then bicycled up a steep hill and 3 days later my foot nosedived. Crutches, cane, misery. Its taken a month to begin to come back even very slightly. Now I'm starting to get around the house without a cane, but I'm not where I was a month ago.
Can someone give me a picture of how I may have affected ESWT healing? Have I screwed it up, or can I still expect progress as I head into month 3? Has anyone on the list had a setback post-ESWT and improved in spite of it?
Thanks

Re: ESWT healing screwed up?

Steve G on 11/04/03 at 16:33 (136372)

Chris - Take it easy from here on out. I had a somewhat similiar experience. A few weeks after my second ESWT treatment I went to physical therapy for some problems I was having with my knees. I did some exercises I should not have - leg presses. I was in the worst pain I have had with my feet since the beginning of my bout with PF. I could not concentrate at work; I called my family doc about pain meds, etc. However, I gradually improved and now the pain in my heels is pretty minimal. So there is a good chance that you will see improvement, but, for now, put the bike in the garage.

Kristie R. on 11/06/03 at 17:40 (136587)

I had a similar reaction when I took a a strenght training Yoga class. Don't worry just take it easy. Heat up a water bag up for your foot----which will help the healing process---it will bring blood to the area and relax. You'll be Ok I promise.

chrisb on 11/07/03 at 13:03 (136705)

Thanks Steve and Kristie. I really appreciate the info.
Its a relief to know that I may still hope for improvement from ESWT. Its been a month since screwing it up and its awful slow recovering. I'm into my 3rd month now.

Jeanne S on 11/08/03 at 00:36 (136773)

Chris,
I set myself back at 10 weeks post EWST by dancing barefoot at a party. My hubby warned me, but I thought my foot felt great. It set me back a month and took me another month to get back where I had been. It has been 4+ months since the setback and I am doing great, but I have been very careful not to overdo again. When my foot hurt, I stopped. I don't think about it much now. However, I do wear New Balance sneakers and my orthotics every day. Be patient and be kind to your foot. It will get better. Good Luck!
Jeanne

Pauline on 11/08/03 at 08:29 (136790)

Sounds like you paid a very high price on that one. Glad your back on the healing track.