Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise After Surgery

Posted by Nadine on 11/04/03 at 21:46 (136402)

I had open release surgery in July. I still have mild pain, but not bad. Would it hurt to try mild low impact aerobics? It is a senior class and quite slow. If it hurts will it slow my healing? I just don't know how much pain is too m uch. I desperately miss exercising, as I was an aerobics teacher and did lots of classes as well as step. I want to heal but really cannot judge what might be ok for me. I am 59, a bit overweight, and my classes are slow and have older people. Also, would jumping in a pool lightly hurt? I have only done deep water classes so far.
I had no physical therapy. Do you think I should ask for any?

He released me after the fifth week and said to just call if I thought I was not healing fast enough and he could do a number of things like refer me to physical therapy etc. I have had no physical therapy. I seem to be healing and I know it will take a while. I just have no idea when it is ok to do certain things. I was told it is completely individual and just to listen to my body.

If I did say light aerobics, no jumping, things like grapevines and walking forward and back......could I hurt the foot in your opinion? Possibly just one or two songs to start. How about a treadmill or bicycle? Which of those would be better, or should I not do that at all? I haven't tried at all. I desperately want to exercise, but I don't want to do anything that could set me back. Do you think I should call and be refered to physical therapy? I am having pain in both heels when I get up, which is new. Sort of like this thing started years ago.But overall it is healing nicely. I take no pain medication.

I did go back to choir yesterday for the first time in well over a year and stood for 20 minutes in once place. When I tried it a year ago there was absolutely no way due to the plantar fasciitis pain. It was so much better yesterday. It was unconfortable, but it is no worse today. Do you think that is ok?

I appreciate any input as I have no idea what I could or whay I should be doing at this point.

Re: Exercise After Surgery

Joe B. on 11/05/03 at 06:27 (136416)

Nadine:

I am not a dr., just a fellow sufferer. I had EPF surgery in January,
and also still have some pain. What I would suggest is to start your
exercise regimen very slowly, and record any increases in pain carefully.
If you feel OK after the first day, you could try and do more the next.
If you have orthotics, be sure to wear them, and invest in a good pair of
workout sneakers.
The 'Listen to your body' is good advice. You can slowly define your own limits. Too much too soon is asking for trouble. And I suggest immediately
after the exercise you ice your foot down, and maybe take an ibuprofin
to stave off any inflammation.

Your message said you are starting to feel pain in the other (non-surgical)
heel. I suggest you get that addressed early, so you don't end up needing surgery again.

I wish you the best.

Joe