Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Visco Inserts

Posted by Rachael T on 11/04/03 at 22:20 (136406)

I see them in several catalogs - latest being one I rec'd. the other day...
HERRINGTON CATALOG or online at
http://www.HerringtonCatalog.com

If anyone tries them, let me know how they perform.

Re: Visco Inserts

Dorothy on 11/04/03 at 23:34 (136409)

These were the first insoles that I purchased as PF began. They are expensive, but at the time they were the only insole that I had seen and I needed some relief. They are a little bit 'cushy', not at all hard. They are floppy. They are somewhat sticky which makes it challenging to slip the foot in the shoe while keeping the insole in place. They do tend to move just a bit out of place. Someone has suggested tape to anchor insoles; I have never done that. They provide cushioning more than support, I would say, but I alternate them with other 'tools' and they feel good. I also bought a heel cup of the same material around the same time. Sometimes I use the heel cup on top of the full insole on top of the NB shoe insole. Possibly overkill, but it can feel good.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/05/03 at 13:30 (136443)

I treat a large number of patients weekly that enter my office with a complaint of heel pain. I can count on hand over the past several years the amount of patients that have had any relief with visco heel cushions or full length insoles. Initially, these may feel good due to the cushioning and shock absorbtion, but there is very little if any support, therefore the plantar fascia discomfort will persist. If you are looking for an excellent over the counter insert for your shoes, look into PowerSteps. I use these regularly in my practice with a very high success rate.

Aly on 11/05/03 at 13:43 (136445)

Hi Dr. Wander,

I've been considering the Powersteps - are they ok for people with high arches & flexible feet? I've tried the Lynco brand for high arches but don't feel enough arch support in them.

Thanks for your help!

Aly

Dorothy on 11/05/03 at 15:56 (136462)

That has been my experience, too, as one who first tried the visco products and then more recently the PowerSteps. The former is cushioning; the latter is supportive.

I am soon going to also try the SuperFeet that Suzanne here recommends. I am thinking of going public with my feet and inviting investors, as they seem to be generating a lot of profit - for everyone else!

Dr. Wander, I really appreciate your clear, concise responses to people's questions here - always informative.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/05/03 at 18:28 (136480)

Aly, remember that PowerSteps are an over the counter product that certainly will not benefit all patients. If you have a cavus/high arch foot, the PowerSteps may not provide enough support, though it may be worth a try. If you purchase the PowerSteps from their website, I believe they have a 30 day comfort guarantee. If the PowerSteps aren't helpful, you may need custom orthoses for optimal fit and biomechanical control

Dorothy, thank you for your kind comments. It's nice to know that the time and thought I put into my answers is appreciated. I am very familiar with SuperFeet and once again feel that PowerSteps are a superior product. SuperFeet has a very nice product, but in my opinion the arch is too 'benign' and does not provide adequate support. Naturally, I have access to basically any custom or OTC product, and 90% of the time I personally wear PowerSteps. The company makes a full length and shorter version for better shoe fit. I wear both types, and even use the shorter version in my soccer shoes.

There is another excellent over the counter product that I've recently tested. The website is http://www.itsyoursole.com . The product is similar to PowerSteps and has the option of being heat molded to make it a 'custom' fit. It is a nice product that offers support, cushioning and the ability to heat mold it for a more custom fit.