Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SAS shoes with no inserts or support harmful?

Posted by kelly on 11/05/03 at 03:52 (136414)

Hi,

I have pf and have found inserts/custom orthotics to be almost unbearable in SAS shoes. Am I doing any harm to my feet by wearing these shoes without anything in them?

Thank you for all input!

Re: SAS shoes with no inserts or support harmful?

Richard, C.Ped on 11/05/03 at 10:29 (136433)

Most shoes that claim to have 'arch support' do not. More than likely, the orthotics need to be adjusted to fit the shoes. If the orthosis does not properly interface with the shoe, it will not work.

Wearing shoes without the support is not really helping your situation. The inside of the shoe is flat, thus your plantar fascia is still 'stretching' at the area that needs to be healed. I would look into having the orthosis fit to the shoes. Check with whom ever made, or dispensed the orthosis to see what they can do. If you can not find someone to help, look for a C.Ped in your area.
Richard

Suzanne D on 11/05/03 at 14:38 (136449)

Just some thoughts here, Kelly. Which SAS shoes are you wearing? Are they the Free Time lace-up shoes? Are you taking out the removeable insole before placing your orthotics in them?

Just trying to help! I wear orthotics in my Free Time SAS shoes, and I have found that they work well in them.

I wish you good luck!
Suzanne :)

kelly on 11/05/03 at 15:14 (136454)

Hi Susane,

I am wearing the slip on SAS shoes. They are not the lace up ones. I took out the insoles and unfortunately am not able to fit my orthotics in them.

Thank you for your help!

P.S. Maybe I will go and get the lace up ones!

Thanks again
Kel

Suzanne D. on 11/05/03 at 17:17 (136472)

Kelly, I used to wear the slip-on SAS 'Softies'. I wore them every day for years, teaching school. They felt fine then, but since PF I have not worn them.

The lace-up Time Out shoes are definitely more 'clunky' looking, but you will not believe the difference in support. Try them! And they are much more roomy (the special insole is made to be removeable). I find full-length orthotics fit fine in mine. (They would not have fit in the slip-ons I used to wear.) I do wear the medium width now; I used to wear a narrow in the slip-on shoes.

Best wishes!

Re: oops! wrong shoe name...

Suzanne D. on 11/05/03 at 17:18 (136473)

I wrote Time Out when I meant to write Free Time SAS shoes. The Time Out is the men's version; the Free Time is the women's.

I'm tired...:)
Suzanne

kelly on 11/06/03 at 03:01 (136522)

Hi Susane,

I just got the SAS lace up shoes. My orthotics do fit in them! I will wear them tomorrow. They are sure comfortable. Thank you for the information! I hope you feel better.

Thanks again :)
Kelly

Suzanne D. on 11/06/03 at 06:43 (136524)

I really hope this combination works for you, Kelly! Let us know how it goes.

If you haven't been able to wear your orthotics consistently yet, you may want to 'break them in' gradually. I'm not sure what your doctor has told you about this and don't want to advise the wrong thing here. Just be careful so that you don't end up with sore feet from wearing them too long at first.

Good luck! %%-

kelly on 11/06/03 at 14:54 (136567)

Hi Suzanne,

I have had my orthotics for nine months. They are comfortable;however, they do not help me at all. I have been wearing them in birkenstock sandals, new balance and SAS (non-lace up).

You know my custom leather orthotics have a tear in them and the pod built them up and now the material he put over them is breaking apart. Does this mean I have to get new ones made? I hope not. My insurance does not cover orthotics. Have your orthotics worn out yet?

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it! :)
Kel