Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PLEASE HELP.....I AM SCARED TO DEATH

Posted by Robin R on 11/05/03 at 05:38 (136415)

i AM SCHEDULED FOR PF SURGERY MONDAY NOVEMBER 10, 2003 AND AM SCARED TO DEATH.....MY PODIATRIST HAS RECOMMENED A WHEELCHAIR AND A WALKER FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS...I WILL BE HAVING BOTH FEET DONE AT THE SAME TIME AND I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT...I ALSO HAVE HEEL SPURS BUT THE DR. SAYS THEY ARE NOT LARGE ENOUGH TO WORRY WITH....I WILL ONLY HAVE SOMEONE WITH ME ALL THE TIME THE FIRST WEEK AFTER SURGERY THEN MY HUSBAND WILL HAVE TO RETURN TO WORK.....ALSO A 6 YR OLD IN THE HOUSE THAT I WILL HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF........ANY SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS THAT WOULD HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Re: PLEASE HELP.....I AM SCARED TO DEATH

Joe B. on 11/05/03 at 06:33 (136417)

In light of your situation of a child at home and no full time support
after a week, you might want to consider getting your feet done one at a time. After my surgery I had a hard cast for 3 weeks, but since it was
only one foot I was still able to get around. But my kids are teenagers
who did not need constant attention. It may increase your total time
for complete recovery to get them done one at a time, but it may help your mental health. Good Luck

Rick R on 11/05/03 at 07:53 (136422)

Robin,

I only had one foot done. I was on crutches for one month never letting that foot bear any weight, then after the month, I was able to walk normaly. I think it would be a great challenge to keep up with a 6 year old under those conditions let alone have both sides done. I guess to a great extent it would depend on the child. My eldest at 6, no problem, #2 big problem. Knowing nothing else, I'd have to agree with Joe on this one. Remember it is your decision, the doctor works for you.

Best of Luck!

Rick

BrianJ on 11/05/03 at 08:57 (136425)

I also agree that you should get your feet done one at a time. This will allow you not only to get around the house better, but to thoroughly evaluate surgery on the one foot before doing the other.

Ron B on 11/05/03 at 15:16 (136455)

Has anyone had the surgery and completly recoved??? with NO pain?? My Podiatrist says he won't do surgery for PF. says its too risky. this same Doc did my sister for bunions with 100% recovery

Ron B on 11/05/03 at 15:22 (136456)

Robin
How long have you had PF ?? what else have you tried?? I guess my pain isn't as bad as some here. at this point I'm not willing to be cut on! can your podiatrist give you names of people that had the surgery and it was successful?

Rick R on 11/05/03 at 15:49 (136460)

Ron,

I consider my surgery quite successful but in no way am I 100% If I had intended on a sedentary lifestyle post surgery I'd be darned close if not 100%. I think anyone going into surgery needs to do so with the intent of an improvement to a tolerable level. I think when you take that step you have conceeded hope for 100% recovery.

Rick

Charles G. on 11/05/03 at 16:21 (136464)

Had surgery on 10/6 on left foot. Could walk but in a boot for the first week. Stitches stayed in for 3 weeks. Returned to work (normally about 50% of time on my feet) for half days the 2nd week and full days the 3rd week. I basically had to sit at my desk and do what I could from there as I was not prepared for the discomfort and swelling(?). After walking for short distances I would feel as though I had wrinkles in my socks along the sole of my feet and would occassionally get sharp stabbing pains. I have some numbness in my toes and have had this since the surgery. I put ice on it all the time and it helps with the swelling. Incisions are very sore and very tight - this is were I have most of the swelling.

I was told by my Dr. b4 surgery that I could be back to work in 4 weeks. I am sitting home today after calling in because when I woke up this morning I could barely walk - spent quite a bit of time on my feet Monday at work and didn't bother me until Monday night and then went to work on Tuesday with limited time on my feet and even put ice on it at work. But this morning I couldn't make it. Have put ice on it most of today and it feels better and can get aroound the house OK.

Bottom line: I was not expecting this amount of time for recovery. As long as I take it easy and just walk on it a little I'm OK and don't have much ppain. But any 'normal' activity -work, normal amount of walking, etc. causes me a lot of problems. Can't say I would do it again until it gets further along. But if someone asked me today I would say I wouldn't have it done. But based on what I have read here I have a lot more time until I will heal. Don't know if this helps.
Charles G.

Rose on 11/05/03 at 19:36 (136491)

I had surgery on both feet at once on July 1. I just retired from teachng and had my husband at home to take care of me. There was no way I could walk for several weeks. I spent the first week in bed and could not even make it to the bathroom in a wheelchair by myself the first week. I laid in bed with ice for a week. I had the boots. There was not way to take a shower, even sitting in the chair in the bathtub without my husband lifting me in and out. I took a long time and babied my feet. I only took aspirin for the pain. I used the wheel chair about 2 months off and on and then just the boots. I have no pain killers now, and the pain is about gone, but I wear the boots to bed and that keeps things stretched.I have had no physical therapy. I don't know if I should ask for it or not. I can go to the store or mall now and do well, but I am really babying my feet a lot. I figure it will take a minimum of 6 months to heal and have been told it might take up to a year. But I am expecting a full recovery.
I am glad I had both done at once, because I was forced to be very easy on both feet for a long time. I am sure that has helped in the healing. I am very glad I had the surgery, as I had tried everything else and had suffered for a long time. I was even back in choir this last week and stood for 25 minutes straight. That is a big deal.
I am only doing water aerobics for exercise and only deep water. So I am being very kind to my feet. I also do the exercised in Peter Egoscue's book called PAin Free and they do help a whole lot.
I could not have taken care of a child the way I was. I would have had to be up more and I am sure that would have been very hard on my feet. But it does take a very long time to heal and it would be twice as long if each foot was done separately.
Let me know what you decide or if you have any questions.

april l on 11/06/03 at 16:21 (136580)

Yes, I had the EPF surgery on my right foot 5 yrs ago and am 100% pain free today. It took a long time to get there though, over a year. It was very gradual process. I am a waitress and work on my feet.

john k on 11/07/03 at 07:55 (136653)

My opinion is that many doctors give false recovery time because if they told patients the truth the patients would not get the surgery. It is not just foot surgery I am talking about. Any orthopedic type surgery can take a long time from which to recover. My orthopod told me I would recover from rotator cuff surgery in 3-6 weeks. This is BS since it is more like 6-12 months.

For PF surgery it seems that it can take at least a year to reach maximum improvement. That is a long time to be limping around but if then so is a life time of PF.

Nancy on 11/07/03 at 09:55 (136661)

I just had PF surgery on Wednesday 11/5/03, I am a little sore but not as much as I was with the neuroma surgery, which I had on both feet, one at a time. I also had bunionectomy on both feet which I did within 6 weeks of each other. I recommend that you get one foot done at a time, I also have to have it done to the other foot but no way would I have had it done both at the same time. I had my other foot injected while I was out for my surgery and it seems to be giving me more trouble than the one that I had surgery on. I am scheduled for the other foot on Jan 7 2003. The doctor told me that he removed alot of scar tissue and that is where your pain comes from. I too have had so many injections in the last 3 years that I can't count them, when finally they quit working that is why we decided to do my surgery right away. Good Luck! any questions you can contact me.

Pauline on 11/10/03 at 08:40 (136938)

My theory is they really do not know. Everyone case is individual and how one person heels can be quite different to another. How one person reacts to anesthesia can be quite different to another. How one person reacts to pain medication can be quite different. How much scare tissue forms can be different. The skill of the doctor is another variable thrown into this pot.

I think you get the idea, with sooo many variables in this equation the answer to human heeling times will always be different.

Presenting the shortest time to the longest one would certainly be more realistic, but I think your right. The worst picture presented
the less likely the patient would have the procedure done unless it was a life threatening one. If nothing else they would think about it twice which really isn't a bad thing to do.

BrianG on 11/12/03 at 20:36 (137309)

To Robin R,

Are you out there reading this? Quite a few people went out of their way to answer you. It might be nice to acknowledge them. Did you have the surgery?

BrianG

shari w on 11/22/03 at 21:58 (138411)

April I was wondering how long were you off of work,my doctor told me 10 weeks cause i'm on my feet 10 hours a day.