Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scheduled for tts surgery 11/11/03

Posted by Michelle S on 11/05/03 at 10:53 (136435)

In June I had ESWT, when the Dr. was numbing my foot he hit the nerve in the tarsal area. Since August I have not worked and the pain is terrible. I have throbing in that area as well as what I call spasm's, also, numbness in the toes and heel and sometimes pain up the leg. I am having surgery Tuesday to release the nerve but now am wondering if I should let nature run its course. I was in a real cast for 2 weeks and have been in an air cast for 9 weeks. I was on nuerotin 1800mg per day and have weined myself off that. Do any of you advise I start it back up it didn't seem to help. I was also taking vitamins B-1, B-6, B-12 3x's a day. I am not a pill taker and found this to be a hard thing to do. Just to let you know I am 40, female and very active. I bowl, hunt, camp and work on my feet. I am scared that I will not have my life back as I know it, not that I have one NOW!!!!
Would love to hear from someone and maybe a little advice.

Re: Scheduled for tts surgery 11/11/03

Sherry on 11/05/03 at 13:47 (136446)

Michelle: Wow. Sounds like we've had a similar experience, at least in one respect. I've got TT release surgery scheduled for 11/20 & am trying to decide whether to go through w/ it (see earlier thread I started about Dr. Cooper). And I've often wondered if I've gotten to this place BECAUSE of the fact that the anesthesia for my ESWT was shot directly into the nerve (one doc injected -- properly -- around the nerve; then, when my podiatrist didn't think I was getting numb fast enough, he took a turn and HIT the nerve -- my leg shot up about 2 feet, and I was very sore at the injection site for weeks after that). I do not remember having nerve involvement before that, just intractable PF. But I wasn't casted or on any painkillers; I just concluded that the ESWT didn't work for me and that, conincidentally, my condition also involved some nerve compression. But Dr. Cooper told me the botched injection could well have caused the nerve problem. I'm mid-40s and also active and wanting my prior life back (not ready to concede that I won't play tennis, run after kids or X-C ski again). I guess we both need to ask our doctors what 'letting nature run its course' really means, b/c I too have wondered if there's any chance this will just go away. Dr. Cooper (w/ whom I'm meeting again on 11/14) has suggested that NOT releasing the nerve may result in more permanent damage. So, right now, I'm inclined to go ahead. But I'm conferring by phone w/ my internist this evening.
Good luck!
Sherry

Pam S. on 11/05/03 at 16:12 (136463)

Sherry and Michelle:
I was told by my surgeon that I would not have permanent damage if I had chosen not to have the TTS surgery. I would be curious as to how others on this board respond. There are a few of us who are having problems even thou we HAD the surgery. So does that mean we are going to have permanent damage? There are no l00% guarantees with this type of surgery anyway? Right?

Could it be that since your nerve was INJURED by the injection, in time it will regenerate and heal? I would 'ask the foot doctors' that question but I believe one doctor is away for several days. I would get another opinion if I were you.

I would not be in a huge hurry to get this surgery. I really mean this. It is a long, slow recovery and unless you are in total pain and agony 24/7 I would try every alternative method you can research starting with PT. ESPECIALLY if you know your nerve damage is not severe from the EMG.
Mine showed severe and I was in total agony night and day. I could not function. It still is not perfect.

I really am being bolder than usual here but I wish I had known more about the recovery and details of having this type of surgery. I just thought it's only my foot,,,fix it and off I will be. I played tennis too and did everything in the world. I do not really understand why I stuggled with the recovery time so much. Just really pin the surgeon down and get the details from him. Sometimes orthopedic surgeons are accustomed to seeing very complicated cases and maybe they do not take the time to explain what this surgery entails.

OK I will stop. I wonder if I have said too much here. Keep us posted. Good luck. Pam ps...I would FOR SURE get an MRI if you have not already?

Terry D. on 11/05/03 at 20:51 (136500)

Michelle,
Tuesday isn't too far off. I'd be concerned with who is doing this surgery and what technique he/she is using. Dr. Dellon's technique is different from others. I had mine done by him and it was worth it. He expained to me his reasons for his procedure. Different pods told me Dellon was going on a 'fishing' expedition and also that this surgery was very simple. I went to 3 different experts before I choose Dr. Dellon. I know 2 other people who had surgery after me by these other Dr.'s and both are doing very poorly.
I know this might complicate your decision but you've got basically one chance to get it right. Get someone who is an expert in this type of surgery.
Also, all 3 Dr's I saw gave me a 6 month window before the nerves die to the point they will have trouble regenerating.
If I were you I'd email Dr. Dellon and give him a short synopsis of your case and history and ask for his opinion.
His email can be found on his website.
If you do it tonight you might get a reply by tomorrow.
Best of luck,
Terry

R B on 11/09/03 at 20:25 (136898)

My TTs was about as severe as it gets .. I developed muscle loss ,wasting of the foot muscle .Im left with a large depression under my foot that doesnt resemble an arch . That muscle wont come back , DR s say. When a nerve is pinched that severely it cant send or receive signals, things start to die. My foot is mostly numb , and my toes are becoming hammertoed because of the muscle that keeps them in line is dead .I had surgery on 10/14/03 and have minimul relief . Its going to be a long hall,but Im confident. As for the surgery not helping somebody,Well its not sucessful for 25-30% of the patients who have it done .But look at the alternative ,you would lose the use of your foot if you did not get the pressure releived off the compressed nerve. And that is not reversable. You really have to watch how physical you get with your feet and ankles. People who have the surgery once with sucess can still get it again. the skin and fiber just grow back around were the incision thus also leaving scar tissue causing it again in some cases. Its a bad situation. Recovery time varys form 3-18months for some people . So after 18 mos. someone who thought it didnt work could finally start to see some resolve. You have to be delicate with your feet after such a procedure ,or symtoms of TTS.