Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planter Fasciitis

Posted by Ann J. on 11/05/03 at 15:04 (136453)

I was recently diagnosed with planter fasciitis.. I have been planning to hike the appalachian trail for years now. I do a lot of section hiking and I am concerned that this will prevent me from big hiking trip.. I have not been hiking or power walking for 3 weeks now, I have been stretching and getting acupunture. My foot feels better but I am still worried about getting back into my hiking/walking routine. Any suggestions or just thoughts from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ann

Re: Planter Fasciitis

Richard, C.Ped on 11/05/03 at 15:27 (136457)

I would suggest looking into custom orthotics. What this will do is give the proper support to the fascia, thus preventing the pulling and tearing where it connects to the calcaneous. You can check with your physician or try to find a C.Ped in your area. A C.Ped , or certified pedorthist, fills footwear prescriptions. Click the link to my web site, and look for the link that reads 'find a c.ped in your area'.

Good luck!

nancy s. on 11/05/03 at 16:31 (136466)

what does your doctor say about your hike, what treatments has the doc prescribed (besides stretching and acupuncture?), and has the doc educated you about the causes of pf and what you can do for good self-care? i suggest you read scott's heel pain book here. you will learn much about what you need to know.

good luck.

Aly on 11/05/03 at 16:45 (136467)

Hi Ann,

When is your big hike? It's good that you've been resting your foot, please be sure it's fully healed and has been pain free a while before you increase your activity level. It's a very good sign that your foot has been improving - but many of us have had serious relapses due to jumping back into activities too soon. PF can become a long term (years) disability, so you want to be as cautious as you possibly can!

Good luck!

(PF 19 months)

BrianJ on 11/05/03 at 16:56 (136469)

Ann --

I agree 100% with Aly. Five years ago, after a short-term PF problem, my feet felt better, so I went out and immediately started running high mileage again. The PF came back, and has been a problem ever since.

Please be patient with this injury in order to insure that it does not become chronic.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/05/03 at 17:45 (136476)

Good news! The Appalachian Trail isn't going anywhere. It will be there when your feet are healed and pain free, and you can hike it then to your heart's content.

Right now, it's so important to give your feet top priority so that they heal. PF can get better in a few months, if you do the right things now at the beginning. PF can last a decade or longer if you choose to keep walking or running through the pain right now at the start. This is why I am being a little pushy in this message, though it's normally not my style to be pushy.

Here are some ideas that help me. Don't do anything that hurts. Always do less than you think you can do, rather than more. Read the heel pain book which is free on this website.

Carole C

R C on 11/05/03 at 18:58 (136485)

I'm with Carole on this: Wait until the PF is fully resolved before undertaking a serious hike. If you don't respect the injury, it can erupt into a nagging, chronic, debilitating case. Anything that hurts is making it worse, little by little.

Ann J on 11/05/03 at 20:51 (136501)

Thank you!! All of you have been very helpful

Ann J on 11/05/03 at 20:52 (136502)

I will see my doctor again on Friday... thanks for your response

Ann J on 11/05/03 at 20:54 (136503)

Thank you so much... Man... you guys have been a big help and seem really supportive... I will be sure to come back :):) thanks again

Ann J on 11/05/03 at 20:56 (136504)

You are not be pushy... thank you so much... I have been totally freaked out about this whole deal... I have been a hiker for years and I have known that feet are important but I don't think I truely knew just how important they are until now. Thanks again... you guys are so supportive

Ann J on 11/05/03 at 20:57 (136505)

thank you... all of you... I didn't think I would get any responses and all of you have been such a big help.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis

nancy s. on 11/05/03 at 23:46 (136520)

oh, you're welcome, ann! :) :) :) :)
i know an ann j in the seattle area. you don't happen to be from there, do you?