Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planter Fasciitis

Posted by Ann J. on 11/05/03 at 15:36 (136459)

I have been diagnosed with planter fasciitis. What are the best shoes to wear. And will be able to resume to my 5 mile a day hikes? Thanks Ann

Re: Planter Fasciitis

Aly on 11/05/03 at 16:51 (136468)

Hi Ann,

New Balance seems to get pretty high marks on this board, as do Birkenstock, SAS (hard to find - do a search on this website to find contact info) and Dansko. A few people have been raving about Brooks lately. Each person is unique as to what shoes will work for them, so it's largely a matter of trial and error.

As for when you'll be able to resume your hiking - it will be a little while. PF can become a serious, debilitating condition that can last for years, so you need to be very careful in treating it. From what I've heard here, you need to be pain-free for at least a month before you start easing back into activity.

Do take the time to read the heel pain book on this site, which will offer a lot of insight into PF as well as methods on treating your condition. What treatments has your doctor recommend?

In the meantime, keep off your feet as much as you can! And good luck. :)

Aly

Ann J on 11/05/03 at 20:50 (136499)

Thank you so much for your info. I will not mess around. I realize how important my feet are. Thanks again.

Trish on 11/24/03 at 14:34 (138555)

My poditrist suggested Asics Gel they r also Podistrist approved too.I got them & wow they r so confy.I got mine on sale at Big 5 Sporting store for $40 but reg price is $80..Give them a try.....