Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Podiatrist or Ortho foot/ankle

Posted by BOB KAHLER on 11/05/03 at 18:44 (136484)

I would like to know the experience people have had with podiatrists compared to an orthopedic doc for tarsal tunnel. Also is injecting with cortisone a risk of hitting the nerve as i have read in some posts.

Re: Podiatrist or Ortho foot/ankle

marie on 11/05/03 at 20:03 (136493)

I went to an orthopod. I had no problem with the cortezone shats and it did help alot...but it didn't last.

marie

Carol D on 11/06/03 at 15:26 (136572)

The podiatrist I saw knew almost nothing about TTS. I sought out the foot and ankle orthopod who had written a chapter on 'nerve compression' problems in a Foot and Ankle medical text, Dr. Steve Haddad. He practices at the Illinois Bone and Joint Institute in Glenview, IL (Chicago suburb). I was very satisfied. Good Luck.

Lari S. on 11/06/03 at 15:32 (136575)

I went to a podiatric surgeon that was highly knowledgeable reguarding TTS, PF, etc. He moved to our area looking for a better place to raise his family after being Chief of Podiatric Surgery at a major hospital. I also had cortisone shots from him and had no problems. However, I have been told by a relative (neurologist) that hitting the nerve can be a risk.
Lari

Mike B on 11/07/03 at 01:48 (136632)

A couple years ago I went to the best podiatrist in the state to have my big toenails removed. He did a great job but when I asked him about the numbness in my toes and the side of my foot, he said this was normal and due to aging. A couple months later I started experiencing tingling and then came the pain. I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. After many months of severe pain and many drugs tried, I am still in major pain daily and finally went to a Ortho Dr who recommended an EMG - why the hell my previous Drs/nuerologist didnt order tests is beyond me.

Anyway, the point is, you have to be your own Dr. in a sense. Do research about your symptoms, and go in with as much info as you can. Some Drs will be intimidated with the amount of info you have. Always get a second or even third opinion. If your 'diagosis' doesnt seem right to you, go somewhere else. Remember - you are the expert on your pain - not the 'Dr'

As far as TTS, Id say the ortho Doc would probably have more knowledge/training on TTS but that's from my experience alone.

I wish you luck in your quest.
Mike

Scott on 11/07/03 at 13:07 (136707)

Dr Dellons website has a link to a list of mostly podiatrists that have been trained with his testing and I think his surgical techniques, They should be knowledgble about tts.

scott

LARA on 11/08/03 at 08:13 (136789)

I have seen 3 podiatrists, and 3 orthopods, as well as 1 PT & 1 general pract.

As for the podiatrists:
The first podiatrist recognized the symptoms of nerve involvement but didn't know TTS so told me it was probably the beginning of diabetes (which is wasn't) and go home and wait and do all the things I could to reduce risks of diabetes.
The second podiatrist told me it was PF, and when, after several visits and months with things not getting better, I asked about a neurologist because by then I had done enough reading to recognize the nerve-type symptoms, he told me it was in my head and quit reading so much and worrying myself.
The third podiatrist knew after I finished my history that it sounded an awful lot like TTS and sent me for an NCV (which confirmed TTS).

As for the orthopod's:
The first orthopod didn't recognize it as TTS, although she specialized in ankle/foot injuries and was at a major teaching hospital in the U.S. (and a very good orthopod)
The second orthopod knew TTS, and in fact did research on surgery for TTS and was IMHO a total jerk.
The third orthopod I saw AFTER diagnosis, and I saw her for knee problems but asked some questions while in her office and it turned out she, and her physician's assistant knew TTS and were helpful.

My conclusion:
There are good podiatrists & orthopods who don't know TTS - it's only been recognized for a relatively short period of time.
THere are jerks in both groups, some who know TTS, and some who don't.
There are good drs. in both groups that know TTS.

If it were me, I would research how much reading they have done on TTS as well as how many patients they have with TTS. (in addition to determining if they have a general reputation for being reasonable and competent).
I'd probably start my search, if I didn't have a better referral, by finding a podiatrist or orthopod that put siginficant attention to sports injuries. Even though TTS is oftentimes not caused by injury, it does seem more prevalent (from my unscientific observations) among those who are active in sports and the podiatrist that recognized my TTS immediately had many week-end athletes as well as at least one Olympian.

R B on 11/09/03 at 20:03 (136897)

I went to podiatrist for a month before he could figure out what was going on. Meanwhile my TTS was severely progressing every week until I srarted having muscle wasting , then went to an ortho guy who knew what it was ,TTS, and scheduled surgery . every dr is differant ,beware.

john k on 11/13/03 at 10:23 (137371)

From what I have read and learnd TTS surgery has a high rate of failure. It is pretty intense surgery also. It they screw it up it is bad.