Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My 10 second response

Posted by wendyn on 11/06/03 at 06:53 (136526)

Carole, I have an extra room whenever you're ready!!!

Judy....bite me!

:D

Re: My 10 second response

Carole C in NOLA on 11/06/03 at 07:44 (136528)

Thanks, Wendy!

Carole C

john h on 11/06/03 at 14:37 (136566)

Wendy: can the door to that room be locked form the inside?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/06/03 at 18:12 (136588)

It was a record-breaking 85F here today (30C), the third or fourth time this week we've had record breaking heat in New Orleans.

Now, we expect sweltering, oppressive heat here in the summer, but enduring it in November is quite aggravating! New Orleans has HAD it with the hot weather. If I was in Wendy's guest room, I'd hardly be able to wait to get outside and enjoy the difference in climate. Well, for a while, anyway.

Tomorrow at noon, a cold front is supposed to come in and bring us a 10 degree drop in temperature. Whoopee. I'd sure rather have a 20 degree drop!

Carole C

wendyn on 11/06/03 at 23:06 (136618)

Thanks John - you're such a sweetie.

I'll be safer to be around once my project is over at work. If I remain marginally sane that long.

I was looking for something today, and someone asked me what I'd lost.

I thought for a moment and said

...my sense of humor
....my patience
...my sanity
...my peace of mind
...my faith in mankind (or maybe just a few specific coworkers)

I really need a nice long weekend.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/06/03 at 23:41 (136620)

First the good news: there's a weekend coming up.

Then the bad news: it's not a long one.

On days when I feel like you are feeling, I dream about retirement and try to compute how long it will be. Although you are decades younger than me, the time does pass faster than one might expect.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/07/03 at 02:18 (136635)

carole, i'm really enjoying your 'good news / bad news' posts these days. they are . . . delightful!

my husband computes how long retirement will take too. i don't bother, because i know i'll be raving about old stuff somewhere -- probably in the very same shop i have now -- when i'm 85, if i make it that far. someone has to pay the property taxes, heh heh.

wendy, at least you probably haven't lost your good looks.

nancy

wendyn on 11/07/03 at 06:53 (136645)

Carole

First the good news:

I'm taking Monday off and we're also off on Tuesday for Remembrance day.
So, I do have a four day weekend coming up.
I'm going to the hotsprings, and I'm going to have a pedicure, and drink wine, and sleep, and read, and play cards, and sleep.

Then the bad news:

I still have to get through today, a pile of homework tonight, and a class tomorrow morning first.

Carole, the idea of retirement doesn't get me through, but the idea of grad school does. I consider everything that happens at work ideas for papers at school.

Weeks like this week though, it's really hard to focus past the hour. Stressful would be a massive understatement. I'm vaguely aware that my feet hurt, actually vaguely aware that I have feet, and that I remembered to put shoes on them.

I showed up for work yesterday in an old pair of jeans, I've been too tired and too busy to iron. Figured that in a worse case scenario, I'd get sent home and I could go back to bed. Unfortunately, no one cared about my little act of rebellion. I will have to think of something else next week!!

Julie on 11/07/03 at 07:45 (136651)

Hi Wendy

It sounds like a good thing you're getting a long weekend off - and hot springs and a pedicure!

You're much too young to even know the word 'retirement' let alone think about it. I did that for a while in my 30s and it only made me feel what a long, dark tunnel lay ahead. Much better to focus on the near-and-middle distance, like grad school. Will you stop working when you go? Now THAT would be something to look forward to!

Meanwhile you're juggling more balls in the air than any mortal human being should be expected to cope with - home, family, demanding job, school, and all with sore feet. You're doing brilliantly, so give yourself permission to feel the strain.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 07:47 (136652)

Great! A four day weekend only hours away. You will make it. Have fun!

Carole C

Rick R on 11/07/03 at 08:04 (136655)

Wendy,

I'm sorry to hear despair in your words. But I sure can appreciate where you are coming from. I have just cut back from 14 - 16 hour days and just about every Saturday and occasional Sundays to 11 - 12 hour days and about every other Saturday. This slacker schedule is what has allowed me the time to return to the board not to mention return to my wife. When I was in grad school I had to keep my mind on the end and the goal. The hardest time of all was midway. You'd think there would be a sence of accomplishment in getting half of the way through, but the feeling of having gone half way into hell and facing an equal journey on the way out was overwhelming. Hang in there my friend. You will make it through this and be all the better for it!

Rick

nancy s. on 11/07/03 at 10:52 (136669)

i'm sorry too, wendy. i hope today goes quickly for you and your long weekend is refreshing and replenishing.

nancy

Suzanne D on 11/07/03 at 11:35 (136678)

Wendy, I understand what you're saying! Our situations are different, but I sure can relate to job stres and trying to do too much at once.

I still love teaching, but if 'they' give us any more paperwork to do or any more new ideas which must be implemented (and recorded, analyzed, and sent to someone via computer) I think I will scream! Somehow, it's easy to lose focus on what we're there for - the CHILDREN! Too many people in supervisory roles who keep creating things for us to implement to prove they're doing their job...

And this week my planning time each day has been taken up with some meeting or another. Yesterday was the worst: a parent conference which was rough. I have never had any real problems through my 25 years of teaching in dealing with parents as I try to treat them with respect and fairness and know that we are talking about their 'baby' when we discuss their child.

But this poor lady is dealing with many issues, I fear, but she was here to let me have it. I just got the child in my room last week; the mom manipulated and demanded and got the child moved from her previous classroom to mine as the teacher gave her 'looks' and made her uncomfortable.

Of course I knew I would be 'in for it' when she came to me. She was so rude and attacking. I ended up with a migraine, of course. It was hard for me, but I stayed firm. I kept my voice quiet and steady, but I said what I had to say. She kept interrupting, and I finally said, 'I WILL finish what I am saying. You asked for my time and you asked me a question, and you WILL listen now.' I had to repeat that twice, and she still kept talking, but I did, too, and she finally got quiet. But it took a lot out of me!

I ended up last night coming to school for two hours to try to 'catch up' as everything has been so hectic.

Well, I didn't mean for this to be all about me. But I wish I was going with you to that spa, Wendy!

Suzanne :)

Julie on 11/07/03 at 11:54 (136684)

Suzanne, congratulations to you for quietly and firmly telling her that she was going to listen to you, and saying what you had to say. Next time (if there is a next time - you may have 'tamed' her and I hope so :)) it will be easier.

It's Friday! Enjoy your weekend. (That goes for everybody.)

nancy s. on 11/07/03 at 11:54 (136685)

that sounds like one tough conference, suzanne -- and it also sounds as though you handled it perfectly. it can't have been easy for a sensitive and compassionate person like you to stay focused and talk tough when you had to, but you did it. congratulations! when i vote yes on a state education bond issue, i wish i could know that more of the funds would go to teacher support and teacher salaries instead of administrators and fancy buildings.

nancy

Julie on 11/07/03 at 11:55 (136687)

Darn. I can't fathom the emoticons. That was supposed to be a smile and a closed bracket. (I am going to try again and leave a space. :0 )

Julie on 11/07/03 at 11:56 (136689)

(If at first you don't succeed....:) )

Julie on 11/07/03 at 11:57 (136690)

Hi Nancy! Snap!

Suzanne D on 11/07/03 at 12:01 (136691)

Thank you, Julie! @};- I appreciate your encouraging response to my post!

Let me tell you a little secret about how I use the emoticons: I highlight what needs to be typed and press control, then C. Then I return to the message I'm typing and press control V. That way I don't have to remember what symbols to type. I kept having trouble getting it all right, and then I started doing it this way.

It's always good to see a message from you!

Suzanne D on 11/07/03 at 12:05 (136692)

Thank you very much, Nancy! @};- I feel better after reading yours and Julie's responses. It WAS hard, and I knew I'd get a migraine, but afterwards I felt glad that I was able to not let her break me in the meeting. The school counselor who I requested to be in the meeting with us told me later that she thought, 'Where did this come from?' and that she was proud of me.

I guess one should learn at some point to be able to stand up and say what needs to be said!

JudyS on 11/07/03 at 12:42 (136696)

Wendygirl - there you go again - acting just like a woman what with juggling a zillion 600 lb. balls at the same time!

I like your weekend plan - maybe I'll do it too. Oops, can't. No hotsprings around here. But I have a new spa in my garage waiting to be installed! But I have to build a deck for it first! But I have to finish the sprinkler system around the area first. But then I have to plant the newly-graded hillside first (rain's coming). Oh shucks....I haven't done the month's budget yet. I can do that after I get seeds in the ground for Christmas blooms.....

I guess you can tell that my time for doing kids, school, hubby, home and job has come and gone! Now we're spending all our time, effort and money on our little piece of the earth.

Have an extra glass of wine for me - and use RED nail polish! :)

JudyS on 11/07/03 at 12:48 (136698)

Suzanne it sounds as though you had to use your grade-school-teacher voice on that mom. I'm sure it's very difficult when you know you and your school are doing well by the children and a parent comes to attack anyway. She sounds defensive - has her child been diagnosed, perhaps, with a learning disorder or something that makes her want to fight to make sure he's treated equally? Or do you think she just has a control thing?

At any rate, I think Wendy's got the best idea for all with her weekend plan - perhaps a 'group' relaxation for all of us?

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 12:50 (136699)

Suzanne,

That mother sounds like she has mental problems! I can't imagine even making one's mind up about how one's child was doing in a class, after just one week. I'm glad you had the counselor there.

As always, you did the RIGHT THING at that parent-teacher conference. It sounds like she tried to bully you, and you wouldn't let her. Good for you!

I hope you have a great weekend!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 12:52 (136700)

Oh! I like that. I might give myself a pedicure tomorrow with RED nail polish, too. :)

Carole C

JudyS on 11/07/03 at 12:56 (136702)

Suzanne, Julie - another idea re: emoticons is to print the page of them to have on hand for easy referral.. :)

Re: Carole's Frustration-Avoidance Method for Using Our Emoticons

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 13:05 (136706)

I like my method since I tend to get aggravated too easily, otherwise. Here it is:

What I do, is to copy and paste my MESSAGE to MSWord or Notepad, before I go look at the emoticon page. That way, if it disappears when I try to go back (which happens maybe 10% of the time to me), I still have it.

The Frustration-Avoidance Method for Using Our Emoticons:

* copy and paste message to Word
* go to emoticon page, select emoticon, copy it
* hit back arrow to go back to message I was writing

then

* if message is there, paste emoticon where it goes, and continue
* if message is gone, go to the message in the open MSWord doc, and paste emoticon into the message there, then copy the whole message with emoticon from there and paste it where it needs to go

Carole C

BevN. on 11/07/03 at 15:17 (136721)

Hi Suzanne,
I was just reading about your nasty mama , it just takes one of them to ruin your week. It sounds as if you kept your cool, although you got a migrane from it and it put you so far behind in your work. Teaching is such a demanding and time consuming profession. You sure are so dedicated and those parents should be thankful to have you. That mother must have a lot of problems and decided to take them all out on you. I hope you have a nice weekend and can do something nice for yourself to make up for it. I will be seeing you soon, Suzanne :) Bev

Re: Judy, Carole, Bev...

Suzanne D. on 11/07/03 at 15:27 (136724)

Thank you all for your replies to me! @};- @};- @};- Judy, I like your idea of a group relaxation! Maybe we can all do something nice for ourselves this weekend!

I think Carole hit the nail on the head when she mentioned mental problems. Really - she had no other problems with the first teacher other than 'the look' which she gave her (the mother, not the child!). The first teacher is so kind and easy-going. She cried all through that conference when the mother demanded she be moved. We other first grade teachers stood behind the first teacher, but the higher powers moved her to my room.

With me, she said I was making her think I wanted her to write big and sloppy when she knew she could do better at home. But to please me, she said, she was doing the poor work. Then it turned into how the child wasn't understood or appreciated, etc. And she just went 'off'. I really feel sorry for her and, particularly, for the child. But I can't take too many more of those 'conferences'!

Bev, I will look forward to meeting you soon!

Aly on 11/07/03 at 15:33 (136728)

Now why the heck didn't I ever think about doing that?? :P

Julie on 11/07/03 at 16:00 (136731)

Suzanne, where in the world is your principal that s/he stands for her teachers being bullied - and so stupidly???!!

nancy s. on 11/07/03 at 16:57 (136737)

carole, forgive me, but that sure sounds like a long way around the barn. but hey, whatever works for you! i learned long ago from wendy, who reads the board messages in reverse order, that you cannot pry people away from the familiar no matter how crazy it is.

no doubt i learned this from myself too, but we won't go there now, thank you very much.

nancy

Suzanne D. on 11/07/03 at 17:05 (136739)

GOOD QUESTION, Julie! He is so easily manipulated. He called me twice during a class yesterday morning to discuss what the mother was complaining to him about on the phone. He then told me he wanted me to meet with her at my planning time. He said I could come to the office and meet her and take her to my room. I said, 'No, sir, I want to meet in the conference room in the office complex, and I don't want to meet alone with her.' So he said the counselor would meet with us; he didn't want to. He kept his door shut while she was there. But that was fine with me; the counselor handled things more wisely.

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 17:49 (136748)

It may be a bit longer, but it's so placid! LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 17:51 (136749)

Your new principal is such a turkey!

I'm glad the counselor was there, at least.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/07/03 at 19:02 (136752)

ah, the life of an oceanographer. . . .

wendyn on 11/07/03 at 21:05 (136761)

Julie, I can handle most of it - but I had some issues with a team member's performance (or lack of it) this week. I'm not used to leadership (in a formal capacity), and I'm certainly not used to having to deal with other people's performance (or lack of it).

I am very glad this week is OVER!!!

wendyn on 11/07/03 at 21:07 (136763)

Rick, I wondered what had happend to you..you haven't been on the board this much in a LONG time.

Nice to see you more often!!

wendyn on 11/07/03 at 21:08 (136764)

Suzanne, what a terrible experience. That mom does not sound at all like she has it together. I hope you do not have to deal with her very often!!!!

Sounds like you handled her well though..

wendyn on 11/07/03 at 21:09 (136765)

Judy, I will have red wine, and red nail polish.

I am drinking red wine and eating popcorn while I do homework. Well, I haven't actually done the homework yet - I'm in avoidance mode.

I will try to take a few pictures this weekend with the new digital camera. Maybe I will have time to learn how it works!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/07/03 at 21:44 (136767)

You think? :)

Carole C

BevN. on 11/08/03 at 07:47 (136787)

I read the board messages in reverse order too, is that wrong?

Wendy, I woke up to snow this morning , it is so pretty :) However, I am glad we do not get it as early and as cold as you do, halloween is too early for us and the children. We had a nice halloween and the children didn't even need their jackets.

Watching this snow coming down is so lovely. Makes me want to
decorate for Christmas :)
Don't you feel sorry for Carole in hot NOLA ? Should we plan to send her some snow for Christmas :)) Bev

Suzanne D. on 11/08/03 at 09:32 (136794)

Thanks, Wendy! @};- I think it will be to the advantage of all involved if I try to help the child while at the same time avoid confrontation as much as possible with the mom. However, I see readily that it won't take much at all to get her stirred up, so that could be a difficult task.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 09:47 (136796)

Bring on the snow! As long as it's not on my driveway. It can stay out there on the lawn and look pretty. LOL

It hasn't snowed here since I've lived here, at least not enough to stick. Once I saw a few flakes.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 09:51 (136798)

yes, bev, reading the board messages in reverse order is wrong wrong wrong! :)

i know wendy does it, and i think judy might do it, i'm not sure -- and probably others. so you're in good company, and i can't help throwing a tease in about every now and then, because i'm such a forward rather than backward person.

nancy

Re: snow...

Suzanne D. on 11/08/03 at 09:53 (136799)

I love looking out the window, seeing the snow fall! But then I don't love it if I have to drive in it. (I like it when the radio announcer says, 'No school today...' and then I can just sit by the window, sipping hot chocolate and watch the snow come down!) ;)

It has turned much cooler here, but there is no snow. I DO remember one Halloween when my youngest was still trick-or-treating when we had some snow falling.

Enjoy the weekend!

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 09:54 (136800)

we have a few flakes here where i live, carole. i see them every day -- winter, spring, summer, and fall.

nancy

Suzanne D. on 11/08/03 at 09:57 (136801)

Did you ever see the movie 'Ernest Saves Christmas', Carole? Remember the executive in Florida (I think) looking out the window near the end, seeing the snow fall? I'm not sure why I thought of that just now, but these posts reminded me of that movie. Just like the snow is unheard of where you live.

On a few days at school, I will chuckle to myself, thinking of the airport guy in that movie as the elves came through his line. He looked up rather expressionless and murmured, 'I hate this job, I hate this job'. (If you haven't seen the movie, that won't be funny! And I DON'T hate my job, but there are times when that line is funny to me.)

Suzanne D. on 11/08/03 at 09:58 (136802)

:)) :)) :))

Thanks for the laugh this morning, Nancy!

Julie on 11/08/03 at 10:10 (136803)

Carole, I feel for you in your snowlessness. The thing I miss most about the New York climate is SNOW. We always had at least one good snowfall when I was a child, and I loved it. We get a few flakes in London now and then, but it almost never lies, and if it does it's dirty slush by the next morning.

BUT we are having the most glorious, beautiful American Fall - the first in my 42 years here. I remember being told that it's the sudden onset of cold weather after the summer that stops the sap rising and results in those wonderful autumn colours in places like New England and upstate NY. That's exactly what's happened here. We had a long, hot, sunny summer - and then it turned cold overnight. The result is the most stunning colours - we always got dull yellows and browns, but now we have flaming, brilliant yellows and reds like we've never seen.

Do I sound enthusiastic? I am!

Re: Autumn in England...

Suzanne D. on 11/08/03 at 10:35 (136805)

Good, Julie! Enjoy! Autumn is my very favorite season! I love the colors of fall and the beautiful leaves. I am glad yours is glorious.

BevN. on 11/08/03 at 11:22 (136811)

nancy s,
I guess I was always a backwards person. I was always organized , but wierd in my own strange sort of way . I kind of grew up in hospitals and on my own so I didn't have a lot of interaction with other children , could that be the reason I am so strange :-s Shall we psychoanalize Bev now -- that would be fun :)

Re: Ernest Saves Christmas

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 11:46 (136813)

I haven't seen that movie, Suzanne, but I can tell from your post that I need to see it!

I did hear that it snowed a couple of inches here around 1990, give or take a couple of years, and that it snarled traffic terribly. Nobody here knows how to drive in the stuff (including me). I didn't move to Louisiana until 1996, though. Some years I have to scrape ice off of my windshield once or twice, but it hasn't yet snowed.

We've had golfball sized hail more often than snow.

I'm glad you don't hate your job, because you are so good at it and good teachers are needed. But, to me there is nothing wrong with hating a job. That's why they call it 'work', instead of 'play', and that's why a paycheck is called 'compensation'... it compensates for the fact that you did something that probably wasn't any fun for 40 hours that week. Liking a job is icing on the cake! You can probably guess how much my daughter likes hearing what I have to say along those lines. Not at all! :)

Carole C

Re: ROFL!

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 11:48 (136814)

But Nancy, I thought all the flakes were out on the west coast! ROFL

Thanks for the laugh!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 11:56 (136815)

How beautiful, Julie! I hope you are taking photos and even more important, I hope you have vivid memories of the beautiful autumn colors for many years to come.

Life is so short, and some experiences are irreplaceable. Viewing these trees, this fall, sounds like an experience to cherish.

Along those lines, if anyone is ever in Texas in the springtime do find out when and where the bluebonnets are blooming the most. I will never forget the fields of unbelievably intense color and beauty, even though I haven't been back to Texas in years. Seeing them was one of my unforgettable experiences in life.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 12:00 (136816)

no problem, bev, maybe you can make up for it by interacting with some of us kids here on this board!

actually, i'm backward in many ways myself. i'm left-handed, i often read magazines backwards, and i had an easier time ice-skating backward than forward. one would think i'd *love* to read messages in reverse order . . . so it's kind of backward of me that i don't!

cheers,

nancy

Re: snow...

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 12:04 (136817)

I feel the same way, Suzanne. I don't even know how to drive in snow. Oh, sure, people have told me, but hearing verbally how to do it, and actually doing it are not the same for me. I found that out in Virginia in 1976, and haven't tried to drive in snow since. I also found out in Texas in 1985, that I can't walk on an icy deck safely either. So instead of going outside, I like your idea of sitting inside by the window, sipping hot chocolate and watching the snow fall (if it should ever happen here).

If it snows and we don't have a 'snow day', I already have permission to take some vacation time. So, let it snow!

Carole

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 12:05 (136818)

you're welcome, sweet suzanne!

:o)
nancy

p.s. in the emoticon list, what is 'Talk to the Hand' supposed to mean? anyone know? i just thought about it for ten minutes. mind is blank.

Re: ROFL!

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 12:13 (136819)

i thought they were all out there too, carole -- just look at judy! and bob g.

but there are different brands of flakes, if you'll notice in the grocery store, and i guess different brands gravitate toward different climates.

mostly i'm thankful for 'em!

nancy

Julie on 11/08/03 at 12:20 (136820)

You're right, Carole! I went up to Greenwich Park yesterday, and was just overwhelmed and silenced by the beauty of the trees, and the sky, and the day. I can't imagine ever forgetting it. Alas, I didn't think to bring my camera - but I won't forget it all the same. It may never happen again - not in my lifetime anyhow.

Am I right - that it's the sudden shift from hot to cold that creates the beautiful colours? Somebody confirm my recollection from long ago, or enlighten me otherwise please.

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 12:22 (136822)

i believe that's right, julie -- but maybe someone will be sure.

we're well past peak here (it lasts about two days!), and i miss it. can i come stay with you?

nancy

Re: Reverse perversity

Julie on 11/08/03 at 12:25 (136823)

Nancy, I have a confession to make. I have been reading 'Messages in Reverse' for a while now. I never used to, and I know it's perverse, and I don't know what made me change (possibly I'm more perverse than in former times) but I'm doing it and I'm liking it.

I hope this doesn't mean the end of a beautiful friendship - but you can pull my leg if you like.

:)

Julie on 11/08/03 at 12:28 (136826)

Thanks, Nancy, and sure you can. But you'd better hurry - we're thinning out too. High winds the last day or two. But it's also nice to walk through the thick piles of crisp, crunchy, rustly leaves, once plenty of them are on the ground!

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 12:35 (136827)

oh no, not YOU, julie! well, with that kind of perversity, i'd best respectfully decline to come visit you and the leaves. (besides, i have yet to find a doctor who will administer general anesthesia to me for the flight. i'll keep looking, though.)

nancy

Julie on 11/08/03 at 12:52 (136828)

Nancy you MUST overcome your fear of flying so you can come visit me and the leaves. I promise to control my perversity.

BevN. on 11/08/03 at 13:54 (136830)

Carole,
You must like your job though, don't you . Your job sounds so very interesting, especially when you get to go out to sea. I know it is secret what you do most of the time , as it is for the government, right, but it does seem to be a fascinating profession.
P.S. How are your feet doing lately? Bev

BevN. on 11/08/03 at 13:59 (136831)

Carole,
I think Necee sent us some pictures last spring , didn't she? They were beautiful of her fields and flowers in Texas :)

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 15:53 (136835)

Hi, Bev!

I do have a good job, especially when I get to go to sea (though I haven't had that opportunity for a year and a half now). The reason I don't talk about it much on the message board, is that it's better to be discreet so that people don't misunderstand and think I'm speaking for the agency I work for. It's not encouraged for us to post on message boards and identify ourselves as working for a particular agency (though I've noticed that it's common for people to do that).

Also much of what I do is confidential, as you guessed, but it's all unquestionably in the taxpayers' best interest and not cloak-and-dagger type stuff. Cloak-and-dagger Oceanography does sound fascinating, now that I re-read the last sentence; maybe in another life I'll look into that for a career.

My present job is definitely work, and not always as romantic and wonderful as people think. I am thousands of times more likely to be filing an invoice than petting a dolphin.

My feet are doing OK but right now they won't let me go barefoot. I did that some on Thursday and so they ache today. I decided to wear my Birkenstock Fuldas today (with the high arch version of the Tatami footbed). That feels good so I feel pampered.

I am so envious of John H riding his exercycle for 40 minutes every day, and I'm tempted to try riding mine today with my orthotics. But today, my legs and feet feel stiff, tight, inelastic, dry, and old, so probably this is not the day for me to try that again. Maybe I will gently stretch instead today, and save the exercycle for tomorrow or a later day.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 15:56 (136836)

You're right! She did! I *knew* I had seen some terrific photos with the bluebonnets in them. I just forgot where I had seen them. :)

Thanks, Necee!

Carole C

Re: Talk to the Hand - Guess #1

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 16:01 (136837)

I don't know what the 'Talk to the Hand' emoticon is intended to signify. But, since nobody answered, here is a guess.

The hand is put out as if to say 'HALT!!!', indicating that I've heard enough. If the person continues to speak, he/she is talking to the hand, not to me.

How 'bout that? Think it will fly?

Carole C

Re: Invoices and dolphins

Julie on 11/08/03 at 16:08 (136839)

Carole, I would happily fill in a thousand invoices for the chance of petting one dolphin! Have you ever petted a dolphin? Please tell!

Re: Talk to the Hand - Guess #1

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 16:26 (136840)

it totally flies with me, carole. i think you hit the bull's-eye.

nancy

Re: Invoices and dolphins

Carole C in NOLA on 11/08/03 at 21:35 (136854)

Only at Sea World, Julie. :)

Carole C

Re: Suzanne...I can relate

marie on 11/09/03 at 12:02 (136862)

I can relate. Try not to take it home with you. Some folks are just....well...meany heads. We all have bad times and days but that does not give anyone the right to inflict emotional or physcial abuse on someone else.

marie on 11/09/03 at 12:12 (136863)

It's funny but I had such a similar experience this week. I too said I would not meet with the mother alone. I explained the situation to my principal and she called the parent immediately and let her know that I did not deserve to be spoken to that way. She was extremely supportive and backed me up 100%.

I'll explain. I had an appt. for 6:40 the conference lasted 20 mins and that was ok because I had no other appts on my list. I had noticed a woman came to my door and looked in but I never stop a scheduled conf. I have alot of parents who don't schedule conferences and just drop in. The woman came in my room and chewed me out. She said she had an appt at the same time as the other parent. I asked her to wait and apologised and offered to fig. out the mistake. She was really disrespectful and wouldn't hear of it. Sure enough the office had made a mistake. It happens.

If its anything I have learned in my lifetime it's that sometimes you just have to 'let the anger go'. I love my new principal...She has my devoted support.

Re: I have petted a dolphin

marie on 11/09/03 at 14:11 (136873)

Sorry to but in but had to share. Please wxcuse me.

I have petted a wild dolphin. They are such gentle and curious creatures. They fascinate me.

Julie on 11/09/03 at 16:47 (136880)

Marie, and Carole - I envy you both. I would love to swim with dolphins, and maybe I shall one day!

BevN. on 11/09/03 at 17:24 (136884)

When we were in Hawaii we were visiting at a resort where they had a lovely dolphin pool and they would take two people at a time in to play with the dolphins and pet them and have their photo taken. It was very expensive so we only watched , we did not go in but we could pet the dolphins as they swam by and under the bridge we were standing on. Bev

nancy s. on 11/09/03 at 17:53 (136886)

lucky you, bev! what does their skin feel like?

nancy

marie on 11/09/03 at 18:21 (136892)

I have swam and petted wild dolphins...also along the Atlantic coast of GA the dolphins are pretty tame. They will swim along side your boat and let you pet them. They are big beggers. It's hard not to feed them but it's important as they get so tame they are sometimes victims of cruelity. People feed them tainted food with broken glass...I don't understand some people. they are so intelligent. I have had many diving (snorkling) experiences with wild dolphins. They are usually just curious. Those were the days before the Florida coast became a giant parking lot and condo. My parents and I use to stay at an isolated hotel on the beach in the keys. It cost $25.00 a day for an apartment. It was surrounded by jungle. Only the guests and a few reeeeeaaaaly, I mean reeeeeeaaaalllly hot surfers swam there. I use to snorkle out about 200-300 yards from the beach. I was and still am a bit to gutsy for my own good. Occasionally a few dolphins would show up to see what I was doing...especially if a fishing boat was nearby. They love to hang out around fishing boats. Never saw a shark in the water but have seen a few around Destin while on the beach there.

Well that's my dolphin story.

marie

Julie on 11/10/03 at 02:19 (136920)

And a very good story too, Marie - thanks for telling it. Swimming with dolphins is definitely on my list of Things I Want to Do Before I Die. I've seen a couple, leaping, off the south coast of Crete - a wonderful sight.

And yes, people's cruelty is simply unfathomable.

Re: Suzanne...I can relate

Suzanne D. on 11/10/03 at 21:36 (137003)

You're right, Marie! And I am sure you CAN relate!

Suzanne D. on 11/10/03 at 21:39 (137005)

It sounds like you have a very good principal to work for, Marie. I'm glad for you! In fact, from the things you have written about your new teaching situation, it seems there is much support for your ideas and also money to carry them out. I'm happy you found such a place to teach!

Dorothy on 11/10/03 at 22:36 (137011)

Julie,
Have you encountered, or do you perhaps know, any of the volunteers and scientists who do on-going work with the turtles on Crete?

Julie on 11/11/03 at 02:32 (137020)

Hi Dorothy

I've had no personal contact with them, because the nesting areas of the Caretta Caretta turtles are in a different part of Crete from where I spent time. They're doing sterling work. I've found a few links for you which may be of interest:

http://virtuals.compulink.gr/stps/project-crete.html

http://www.seaturtle.org/mtn/archives/mtn64/mtn64p13b.shtml

http://www.geocities.com/mfhoekstra/turtlelinks.html

http://www.geocities.com/mfhoekstra/Turtles.html

Dorothy on 11/11/03 at 09:08 (137030)

Thank you, Julie, for those links. Actually, I was asking because we have an acquaintance who has been much involved with that work. She is a scientist and has been a repeated and longterm volunteer there as well. I was just wondering if there might be a 'small world' factor. She loves it there, too. The Creten diet is one of those vaunted for its healthfulness and I think it is part of the 'Mediterranean diet' type; do you enjoy it? Can you characterize it at all? i.e. is it most similar to Greek cuisine? to Middle Eastern? to Italian? I'm just wondering - I like to cook and am considered a good cook and have read a bit about Cretan health vis a vis their diet. I never got around to asking our acquaintance about this; she has mostly just lived on the beach when there and worked (or what she calls 'work'!)

While I am 'quizzing' you about Crete, I will forge ahead and ask about yoga. My husband and I kind of haphazardly practice Kripalu and Hatha yoga. If you have said, I have missed your saying what style you teach/practice - was it Kripalu? That has been our favorite of the styles we have explored. We have a very good friend who has made a long study of, and has become a teacher of, Svaroopa yoga - are you familiar with this style? Rama Berch developed it and trains its teachers (she's in San Diego/LaJolla, California).

OK, quiz's end. Feel free and happy to ignore if you wish. Just some interested chatting...

Julie on 11/11/03 at 09:35 (137036)

Ah, the Cretan diet! A topic close to my heart. Cretan food is essentially Greek, but there are Turkish and Italian influences too. Crete is of course part of Greece, but for centuries was occupied by the Venetians and the Turks. So yes, it is Mediterranean, and yes, I love it. It is considered to be the healthiest in the world (and not just by Cretans - there has been Research). The Cretan population appparently has the lowest incidence of heart disease and many types of cancer in the western world: this is thought to be due to their huge consumption of olive oil, but also to the fact that their diet is generally healthy and balanced. Most of the food consumed on the island is grown there, which is always a good sign, and much of it is chemical-and-additive free (though that is changing as agriculture gets more intensive in the struggle to keep up with tourism). The sea is still- relatively - full of fish (though that is changing too, for the same reason) and there is no intensive livestock farming or meat production. The meat - principally lamb and goat, but also pork - all comes from animals that have lived and grazed outdoors in the hills (well, not the pigs - but they're naturally reared too). I don't eat much meat at home, but I can't resist it when I'm in Crete - it's a different story. And the chicken, which I forgot to mention, tastes like chicken (if you can remember what that was like). And the eggs taste like eggs. Good, simple food, healthy and fresh. There's a little taverna in the mountain village of Anopolis, above Loutro, where Eva, who lived in Brooklyn for 22 years and speaks perfect Brooklyn English, cooks wonderful omelettes - and wonderful food of all kinds, everything either grown or raised on the surrounding plain. It's a long uphill slog - 2,300 feet up a precipitous zigzag path, but I always go at least once every time I'm there, not just for breakfast or lunch but because it's such a marvellous place to be, quiet and traditional and beautiful.

An excellent book,if you're interested, is Cretan Cooking by Nikos and Maria Psilakis. They have also written a fascinating book on Olive Oil, called The Secret of Good Health.

So just a quick word about yoga, and then I must stop. I endeavour to teach the whole of yoga, not just postures. My initial training was with the British Wheel of Yoga, and I then subsequently did several more years of training in the Bihar School tradition. I do know Kripalu Yoga, and think it is very good (have you read Donna Farhi's books?) In fact I gave a workshop last week at a new Kripalu studio in Dorking, Surrey - but that was them experiencing my teaching, not me theirs. I'd like to know more about it: everything I do know sounds good. Have you been practising for long?

JudyS on 11/11/03 at 10:48 (137040)

Well, I can see I'll have to educate ya'll on how to read Messages in Reverse. :-?
It was such a loss when Scott removed the 'Messages posted since your last visit' from the SS board.....

I click on Messges in Reverse but I don't read them from the reverse - when I get to them I scroll down till I find the last post I recognize as having read already THEN I start reading 'up'.

Yes yes I have been accused of being a little backward now and then but reading/thinking backwards is not a skill I own! :)

marie on 11/11/03 at 14:14 (137069)

I love turtles and it has long been my hope to swim with them. They nest in several areas around Desdin, FL (msp?). A friend of mine and our kids sat out on the beach until 2:00 am just hoping to get a glance at them but they didn't show up. The sky was clear and it was just beautiful. Of course the next morning there were tracks so they must have just been waiting for us to leave.

marie

Aly on 11/11/03 at 15:59 (137081)

You brought a fond memory to mind Marie. We had 2 turles and a tortoise, (I believe his name was Valentine) as pets when I was a kid. We always used to feed them fresh shrimp - I was 18 or so before I found out that people ate shrimp too! The first time I saw someone cooking shrimp for themselves, I freaked out - for me it was the equivalent of eating dog food!

Re: Interesting links...

Suzanne D. on 11/11/03 at 16:38 (137093)

Thanks, Julie, for these links! I haven't been many places in the world, but my children and I take lots of 'field trips' via the wonderful PBS Reading Rainbow t.v. series. I have many shows taped so that I can use them when they fit what I'm teaching.

One of the children's (and my) favorites is CHICKENS AREN'T THE ONLY ONES (I'm capitalizing because I don't know how to italicize here!). Many animals which lay eggs are mentioned in the book, and then the host takes us to see a huge loggerhead turtle as she is laying her eggs. Later, they film the little turtles as they make their way to the sea just as fast as they can move along. It is so amazing to watch!

So, I'll bookmark some of these sites for future reference. I like to expose my students to as much of the world as I can - at least get them interested in things beyond what is right around us here.

Thanks again!

Dorothy on 11/11/03 at 16:46 (137094)

Thanks, Julie - I will look for the Psilakis book, as I am also a nut for cookbooks. Your description of the Crete experiences is wonderful.

Yoga - I don't know Bihar but will look into it and likewise for Donna Farhi's books. We also like Kripalu. I have been practicing since the 1970s on and off, but in most recent years with more consistency and actual practice. My husband really surprised me when he agreed to give it a try a couple of years ago - and really likes it. After all these years.... Change keeps happening!

You are so right about the studies that find the Cretan diet to be the best in the world, as part of the Mediterranean diet in general, and also the traditional diet of the people of Okinawa. Both islands...interesting.
Thanks again - I plan to re-read your post here for a little vacation to Crete.

Re: Interesting links...

Julie on 11/13/03 at 03:28 (137348)

Hi Suzanne

I missed this post (as well as Dorothy's - too much cheese, methinks). I'm glad the turtle links will be useful to you and your students.