Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bextra and ibuprofen combination

Posted by Kathy on 11/07/03 at 17:01 (136738)

I've been taking Bextra for about 3 months. My pod. recently increased the dosage to 20 mgs per day. I also take about 8-12 ibuprofen daily. Do you recommend combining these? My mother's ortho. surgeon told her to NOT combine these meds. I've never been advised to not take them together. Any advice?

Re: Bextra and ibuprofen combination

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/07/03 at 17:09 (136742)

You should absolutely NOT be taking Bextra and ibuprofen together. You should choose one or the other, but should NOT be taking both. Does your podiatrist that prescribed Bextra know that you are also taking ibuprofen? If he does, I have some very serious issues with that, if he doesn't you should have asked him prior to taking this combination which can have some very serious side effects. This is exactly why patients have the obligation to let doctors know ALL the medication that is being taken, to avoid serious complications.

nancy s. on 11/07/03 at 17:14 (136745)

thank you for catching this so quickly, dr. wander, and for your other contributions here as well. they are much appreciated!

Kathy on 11/07/03 at 17:15 (136746)

Yes, my pod. knows I am taking both. I have told him several times that I take Ibruprofen & he said no problem, it was good for the swelling/inflamation. He did not tell me any side effects- what are the problems? Do you recommend continuing the Bextra only (PF & TTS)

Sher A on 11/07/03 at 20:14 (136756)

This does seem to be somewhat of a gray area. My regular doctor said that yes I could take the Bextra with the Lortab (which contains tylenol - same difference). It seems to me like there would be a conflict there, but so far I seem to be alright.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/07/03 at 20:17 (136757)

If your podiatrist told you it was OK to take ibuprofen and Bextra together, I would seriously suggest you find another doctor. I've been contributing to this site for a few years, and I never 'bash' another doctor, but IF your doctor said this combination was OK I would have absolutely no confidence in his clinical decisions. This combination increases your risk of GI bleeding, causes additive effects (two drugs with similar side effects) and is basically duplicate therapy. You should do 4 things: 1) STOP taking this combination, 2) Speak with your pharmacist and I'm confident he/she will agree with me, 3) EDUCATE this doctor before he causes someone harm, 4) Find a new doctor.

The decision to take Bextra vs. ibuprofen is based on which of these medications helps you the most. Additionally, Bextra is a newer class of drug that is supposed to be safer regarding GI problems. These are both excellent medications, so choose ONE and stick with it if it works.

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/07/03 at 20:33 (136760)

Sher A,

This is a COMPLETELY different question. Bextra and ibuprofen are basically the same type of drugs. Both are non steroidal anti-inflammatories and Bextra is also a new class of drugs called a COX-2 inhibitor, which means it should have less GI effects. BEXTRA and ibuprofen should NOT be taken together.
LORTAB is a narcotic (hydrocodone)mixed with acetaminophen (Tylenol). Lortab and Bextra CAN be taken together. These are 2 completely different types of drugs that do not have the same mechanism of action. Lortab and Bextra CAN be taken together, ibuprofen and Bextra shouldn't be taken together.

nancy s. on 11/08/03 at 05:51 (136785)

kathy, a search of the web brought up ibuprofen, as dr. wanders says, as a bad interactor with bextra (and other NSAIDS). here is a list of other drugs to avoid while taking bextra, from one of many websites i looked at. (i think this was drug.com, and it said this list is only partial):

Bextra - Valdecoxib
(val deh COCK sib)

aspirin or another salicylate (form of aspirin) such as salsalate (Disalcid), choline salicylate-magnesium salicylate (Trilisate, Tricosal, others), and magnesium salicylate (Doan's, Bayer Select Backache Formula, others);
an over-the-counter cough, cold, allergy, or pain medicine that contains aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, or ketoprofen;
a diuretic (water pill) such as furosemide (Lasix), hydrochlorothiazide (HydroDiuril, others), chlorothiazide (Diuril, others), chlorthalidone (Hygroton, Thalitone), and others;
an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor (ACE inhibitor) such as benazepril (Lotensin), captopril (Capoten), enalapril (Vasotec), lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), moexipril (Univasc), quinapril (Accupril), and others;
a steroid medicine such as prednisone (Deltasone and others), methylprednisolone (Medrol and others), prednisolone (Prelone, Pediapred, and others), and others;
an anticoagulant (blood thinner) such as warfarin (Coumadin);
lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid, others); or
fluconazole (Diflucan) or ketoconazole (Nizoral).

Kathy on 11/08/03 at 09:08 (136791)

Thank you for the information.

Sher A on 11/08/03 at 19:07 (136847)

Thanks for the info, I'm very glad to have the final answer.

Paula G. on 11/10/03 at 15:46 (136972)

Kathy, try going to drugdigest.com That is where I check on all my drugs plus it tells you what interacts with what. Bextra never helped me

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/10/03 at 18:10 (136988)

The best source of information is your local pharmacist. There is easy access, it's free and you actually get to interact with a real human!