Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ligaments and sprains over two months old

Posted by Heather Mae C on 11/10/03 at 11:47 (136952)

I injuried my anckle at work on September 5th 2003. I have had x-rays(2) taken nothing is broken. But i have pulled the ligaments in the ball, heel, artch, and in the anckle itself. Backround- i was serving the the banquet department of my hotel, I had a tray of about 20 plates on my right shoulder. I started to trip over someones foot. to balance myself i went on the ball of my right foot and recovered the tray. then about 45 mintues after this I became aware that I was walking on the side of my foot. So I forced myself to talk normally, and that felt like a knife going through my foot. About a 15 minutes later we were in the process of sending me to the hospital. Where they took the first x-ray and put a cast on that they heated and formed to my anckle and how it sat. I was in that for about a week and a half. When my first doctor told me to just use an ace bandage. I lost my balance at work again and this time I put all my weight on my right anckle. I went to the hospital later that night , where they did the second x-ray and put my in an aircast. After that I asked for a new doctor. He is telling me to walk on it with out my cast and it just takes time. Which I do understand, but the pain hasn't gone down. It hasn't increased that much but there are times that it does increase more than the first time. I have not had and MRI done. When I asked for one by the suggestion of my therapist and myself. I was told that it wouldn't show anything and just got the round-about. That was over a week ago that I spoke with the company nurse and the insurance company. I have not heard back from either. I do know I have the right after a month to pick my own doctor outside of the company. But, I am not sure how to find a good doctor in my area and how to go about getting an MRI done. Any help you can give me would be great. And am I right to ask for a MRI since it has been over two months now and I am not really getting any better?
Thanks again
Heather Mae

Re: Ligaments and sprains over two months old

dave r on 11/10/03 at 12:12 (136956)

Has your doctor told you that you have a sprain or has he told you something else? If you are unable to walk or if you have a week ankle i would think that you should be on crutches. Do you have swelling or discoloration?

Heather Mae C on 11/10/03 at 13:34 (136963)

He told me that I have a sprained ankle and pulled ligaments. I was on crushes for a little over a month then they told me to get off of them. So now I am walking on it, they swelling has gone down, there is a lot of discoloration and I noticed yesturday morning that there was burshing on the front of my ankle. I am doing everything the doctor and the therapist have told me to do. And when I tell them that I don't think I am improving they tell me it just takes time. I can put some pressure on it, but even that hurts to where I can't walk sometimes. I have stopped therapy for the time being just because it hurts to much and I don't want any further damage to my foot, by working it to much and not knowing everything that is wrong. Is that the right thing to do?

dave r on 11/10/03 at 15:33 (136970)

I guess only your doctor can tell you that. Im sure that your injury is going to take a very long time to heal....