Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A Question for Dr. Z

Posted by Bruce R on 11/10/03 at 16:03 (136977)

I have atypical PF, my feet feel great when I first get out of bed, but after standing on my feet a while they start to hurt and the pain gets worse the longer I stand on them. I had ESWT performed on both feet 7 weeks ago with the Ossartron machine. So far I have seen zero improvement. Is this normal? What are my chances of healing? I know about the 12-16 time frame, but has there been cases of success in persons who have seen no improvent after 7 weeks? Thanks.

Re: A Question for Dr. Z

SteveG on 11/10/03 at 16:14 (136978)

Bruce - I think Dr. Z is out on vacation. He is, however, going to tell you that the success rate for atypical PF is not that great. Many of us did not notice any improvement for 8 - 12 weeks. So, to answer you question, many people who see improvement did not see any at the 7 week mark. Whether you get much improvement will in part depend on how much of the pain is in the heel. If most of your pain is located at the insertion point, then you might get a significant reduction in pain. If it's not, then you won't

Re: oops, I see from the previous post

SteveG on 11/10/03 at 16:16 (136979)

that he is back.

Dr. Z on 11/10/03 at 16:27 (136981)

Hi

I have treated patients with atypical pf with ESWT. I seen patients get better, needs more then one treatment and just not get any relief. I don't like treating atypical pf with ESWT if I had the choice the sucess rate is less in atypical then the classic typical BUT you can get relief if all other possible causes are ruled out and the ultrasound is positive for pf

Bruce R on 11/10/03 at 16:57 (136984)

I think the pain is at the insertional point. It is in the middle of the heel. No ultrasound was done. Is there any type of excercise of heat or anything else that i can do in the meantime? Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me and others.

Mike W on 11/10/03 at 18:33 (136990)

Hello Bruce,

If you are looking for effective exercises and the exercises you should avoid you should check out my website http://www.foottrainer.com .

Foot Trainer exercises compliment ESWT and other treatments and also help prevent PF from returning once you heal.

Regards,

Mike W