Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rigid toes after shortening surgery

Posted by Kristine C. on 11/10/03 at 18:46 (136992)

About 3 months ago, I underwent toe shortening surgery for my second and third toes on my left foot (I also underwent a kidner foot procedure for my flat feet), which is why I only got one foot treated that time. However, my concern is that the toes he shortened lie completely flat and very stiff, and don't touch the floor when I stand,which looks terrible compared to my other toes that sort of curl naturally. My surgeon told me that this is temporary and that the scar tissue will heal and soften, which will enable the toes to curl like the others, so that they look normal compared to my other toes. He said there was no bone fusion involved in the procedure. Is this true? I'm really worried because the toes look worse now than before! I know that the toes will never be able to curl inwards again (to grab nickels off the floor and such), but I was never told they would be completely flat and odd looking. (kinda defeats the purpose).

Re: Rigid toes after shortening surgery

Pauline on 11/12/03 at 13:33 (137248)

Kristine,
I'm not a doctor, but if I were you I'd ask your doctor about physical therapy for your toes.

The one thing I've found out over the years is that another doctor is usually very reluctant to see someone elses surgical patient. They don't enjoy cleaning up so to speak. They would rather have done the surgery in the first place, but take heart someone will provide you with a second opinion if you seek one.

Under the circumstances I'd try physical therapy first and if that doesn't help I'd seek another opinion from a new doctor.

There are no quarantees with any surgery so you could have a real problem and not the result you expected, but at this point be positive and see if therapy helps your condition. You'll have plenty of time in the future to seek additional information and help from other doctors if your
condition doesn't improve.

Good luck, you certainly underwent some major surgery. I hope it all turns out well for you.