Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Michael K on 11/11/03 at 11:28 (137046)

Hello please describe your pain such as intensity, frequency and how you tolerate this pain plus do you even have pain during the night in bed. My pain has been ongoing for a year now only the intensity of the pain changes. The pain is there 24 hours. Thanks, Michael

Suzanne D on 11/11/03 at 15:09 (137072)

My pain has mostly been in the arch area and is worst the first thing in the morning or after sitting. I've always had a hard time describing the intensity; I have a high tolerance for pain, but it was hard to ever get it off my mind. The first several months I had PF, the pain woke me in the night. It would hurt while I drove, when I sat still in church; there really was not a time that my feet did not hurt. Very gradually, the intensity lessened, and the first thing that went away was the waking up in the night with pain. Then I remember being so relieved when it didn't hurt to drive or sit somewhere. I still have the 'first step pain', but it is not as intense. And when I've been on my feet too much, they still hurt to varying degrees, but they recover quicker.

Tolerating the pain? For me, ice didn't seem to relieve pain as much as heat, even though that seems unusual. Changing shoes during the day helped, rubbing my feet, gentle stretching, and taping. Have you tried taping? That really makes an instant and noticeable difference for most people.

Best wishes,
Suzanne :)

Rachael T. on 11/11/03 at 16:56 (137101)

I too, had intense & severe pain for about 1-3/4 yrs! It was bad in the beginning - then, got worse & peaked....then, leveled out & stayed that way for some time; then, it began to improve EVER SOOOO gradually! Of course, I continued to try to hasten the healing process & I am sure that it did help some....I used shots, ESWT, heat, ice, wkly. massages, taping, Birks, Mephistos, & prescribed & OTC orthotics AND REST ......each one seemed to help a bit & yet, there were still setbacks...but now,those setbacks are fewer & quicker from which to recover. I am hopeful that I will continue to heal - & yes, I do still try new things....I just purchased today SOLE orthotics that are heatable & mold to your feet.....we shall see if they take me to yet a higher level in this healing journey. At the present though, I am able now to ride my bike 3 times weekly (doing 6 miles each ride) & I ride my horse 3 times weekly as well.....In the beginning of PF & thru the past couple of years, .I couldn't walk before; I couldn't stand before....so, I am pleased that I am where I am at today & yet....I continue to try to heal to the next level desired which is 100%!

Kathy G on 11/11/03 at 18:10 (137125)

I remember a post when Rachael thought she'd never be able to ride again so she's a great success story for you! My pain started in my arch area and stayed there until I went for physical therapy. The physical therapy resulted in my getting heel pain, along with the arch pain.

I almost never have pain upon first step and my pain seems to get worse as the day goes by. And as Scott's Heel Pain Book says, some days it's not that bad after activity and I think, 'Wow, I'm cured!' Then it hits with a vengeance, up to forty-eight hours later.

As for intensity, it used to hurt all the time, and sometimes keep me awake. Now, it doesn't hurt as often when I sit and the level is much more tolerable when I walk to excess. If I try to walk any distance for two days in a row, my feet still don't like it. Standing still, for any time, will still make my arches burn like crazy but I'm hoping that will go away in time.

Have you seen a pod? Do you have orthotics? Do you ice or heat? Reading the Heel Pain book will help you out and of course, posting questions here will hopefully be of some benefit.

Good luck!

Paula G. on 11/12/03 at 13:23 (137247)

Hi Michael. Yes, the pain is there at night. I have a very hard time finding a good position to sleep because my heels cannot touch the mattress....the pressure is very painful. I wish I knew how to tell you to live with the pain. I find if I keep moving it is better than if I stand still, ie, doing dishes...Do you remember earth shoes? I have a pair if sandals I swear by. They are like earth shoes where the heel seems lower than rest of foot. They are so comfortable for me.
Other than that you have to give up style for comfort.....
I get so tired of complaining about my feet all the time. I try not to.
I have lived with this for about 4 years now. Back when I was first a nurse, I began having heel pain but ignored it....I have been through all the treatments. Medications, orthotics, night splints (although they did help when I had to get up at night) Always have shoes on your feet when you are up. Even to go to the bathroom at night. Never go barefooted again.
I have taken the meds and I am taking Mobic right now and it has been just great. I had surgery two years ago. They found nerve entrapment so surgery was the right choice and it does seem better than it was....
There is no cure. You just must find the treatment that works for you

Michael K on 11/12/03 at 13:37 (137249)

Hello what do you mean there is no cure?? There have been people with PF which have had successful treatment and suffer little or no pain. Don't scare me like that no cure. Michael

Aly on 11/12/03 at 16:46 (137276)

Hi Michael,

Might I jump in and say that I believe Paula meant that there's no overnight cure and no particular cure that will work for everyone across the board. In otherwords, each person must experiment with a variety of treatment options to discover what will work for their particular feet. Fear not, most people ARE able to overcome PF, it just takes a lot of trial and error, and a lot of patience & time.

Good luck!

nancy s. on 11/12/03 at 17:24 (137279)

very well put, aly. she's right, michael, do not fear: the vast majority of people (95% i believe) recover completely. of those who don't recover completely, the vast majority improve greatly, get past the worst, and go on to lead normal lives with little to no limitation. as aly said, patience and time are the key words.

best of luck to you.

Julie on 11/13/03 at 02:25 (137344)

That's true, Aly and Nancy, and encouraging for anyone to hear. 'There is no cure' must have sounded ominous and I'm sure Paula didn't mean it that way. I'd like to add, though, and not solely for Michael's benefit, that (in my opinion) it is probably better not to think of oneself as 'cured' even after PF does go away, even completely.

If there are biomechanical factors involved, which in most cases there are, these don't change. PF can and does recur. So if we've been lucky and managed to get orthotics that work, we need to keep wearing them. If we've found shoes that support our feet properly, we need to stick with them. And if we've learned generally to take care of your feet, we need to keep taking care of them. My PF was straightforward and resolved to 95% improvement in five months. By the end of the first year I was completely all right, with no limitation on walking or anything else. That was two years ago, but I'm still careful and watchful. I know that many people would rather leave it all behind them once it's over, but vigilance makes sense to me.

Lorinda N on 11/13/03 at 08:04 (137361)

My pain went from one foot,,,,, to two feet. In the beginning it was a minor irritation, today its hmmm. on a level of 1 to 10 , 10 being the worst about an 8. Its at night, day, anytime 24/7. I just had a coritzone shot today in one foot. LOL, and let me tell you, I know why he didnt want to do both feet at the same time... it was fine until about 4 hours after,, tho im told the pain should get better in a couple days, if he had done both I cwouldnt be able to walk right now at all. To see if it helps, if it doesnt the pod. is going to have an MRI done.

How to cope ( lol if thats what you can call it):
Ice at least 20 minutes before bed
Sleep with a flat pillow under my feet
Have a pair of Birks next to my bed, because its impossible to walk with out shoes on my feet anymore. Birks and New Balances, the rest of my shoes hit the garbage can.
550 mg X 2/day Naproxen ( tho i dont feel this is helping much)
careful stetching daily - low impact- yoga
Before I leave my bed or a sitting position at anytime I do some stretching, and it does help, its basically become a ritual anymore, even in the middle of the night.

I tried taping. It felt okay for a bit, but my feet would swell after only a little while, so I gave up on that. but it did help for awhile.

Icing really helps me alot, some say heat works for them. Try everything and anything you find here... different things work for different people... I hope you... I and everyone here will someday find what works for us.. until then... best wishes and keep trying....

Re: Related ? Why BOTH feet, and not one?

Victoria on 11/13/03 at 11:38 (137382)

I've asked this before and never really gotten an answer.

When mine started, it was in both feet simultaneously, rather than just one foot.

Xrays show a heelspur on only one of my feet--so how come both hurt, and have been as equally painful to walk on?

(For me, one foot has gotten better over time---but the fact is, that both were initially as painful.)

If the info is available here, I apologize in advance for not being able to find it---I have looked for myself and tried to find the answer to this question.

nancy s. on 11/13/03 at 11:55 (137384)

Re: Clarification View Thread
Posted by Dr. David S. Wander on 11/07/03 at 20:27
Although I do agree that 'heel spurs' rarely are the cause of discomfort, I would not agree that 'everyone has a heel spur'. I treat a large number of heel pain patients weekly, and do not believe that 'everyone' has a heel spur. This is from 18 years of experience reviewing xrays, reviewing MRI's, performing surgeries and dissecting cadavers.
It has been a pet peeve of mine for years, when patients insist on using the term heel spur. In actuality, heel spurs are a shelf of bone that extends across the calcaneus, not a sharp piece of bone that patients imagine. It's amazing that when a new patient enters my office, I discuss this in detail, draw pictures, use diagrams and constantly repeat to the patient that although a spur may exist, it is NOT the cause of the pain. As soon as the patient walks into the waiting room, it is a sure bet that he/she will tell the spouse that 'I've got a heel spur', despite my lecture. Unfortunately, there are some medical myths that will never be put to rest.

Paula G on 11/13/03 at 12:09 (137386)

Yes, Julie, I didn't mean it the way it sounded.....Sometimes in cyberspace things look different in written word than what you mean to say.

Re: Heel spur

Julie on 11/13/03 at 16:25 (137417)

This one will probably never go away, because even when a doctor has clearly explained the position, 'heel spur' is so much easier to say (and spell) than 'Plantar Fasciitis'.

john h on 11/14/03 at 09:39 (137483)

If we can change the name of a Chiropoditist to a Podiatrist why cannot we change the name of a heel spur to something less painful sounding. I remember many years ago a Orthopedic Surgeon advising me I had Degenerative Disc Disease. I about fell off the exam table as this sounded like something that must be fatal. He rambled on and at that point I think I stopped listening. I left his office ready to write my last will and testement. After spending some time in the library I found if you live long enough you will have degenerative disc disease.

john h on 11/14/03 at 09:44 (137484)

I have posted many times; the big problem with PF is no one can say with scientific certainity what the 'pain generator' is in one specific persons case of PF. Most diseases we know with precision the cause of pain but this is one of those where the Doctor can make an educated guess but that in most cases is the best he/she can do.

Re: What's in a name?

Julie on 11/14/03 at 12:55 (137500)

John, I think the answer to that question is that the foot-doctor profession can call its members anything it likes. Chiropodist, Podiatrist, whatever. But if a condition suffered by millions of people has been called by the generally accepted name of 'heel spurs' for donkey's years, it can't and won't be changed except by general acceptance of another name.

But maybe Plantar Fasciitis will catch on some day!

But then again, a spur by any other name...

The thing that gets me, when all is said and done, is that 'heel spur' is so erroneous and misleading.

Aly on 11/14/03 at 12:58 (137501)

The thing that's ironic for me is the name of this site. I came across it early in my PF, but moved on b/c I knew I didn't have a heel spur. It took over a year for me to rediscover it! Hope no one else is making that mistake...

john h on 11/14/03 at 14:23 (137512)

I do not know Aly but bet more of us do not have heel spurs than do.

Sher A on 11/14/03 at 16:03 (137528)

Both plantar fasciitis and heel spurs sound deadly. You just say the words to someone else and watch them grimace. I found this site through a google search. Maybe they should change the name to footproblems, sorefeet, or soreheels.com, eh?

Kathy G on 11/14/03 at 16:26 (137533)

I think that I read somewhere, maybe even in Scott's Book?, that he deliberately named the website, Heelspurs.com, because that is the common name that so many people attach to Plantar Fasciitis. In fact, someone once commented that if you tell someone you have PF, they look at you blankly but if you tell them you have heelspurs, they always know someone who's had the condition and seem more sympathetic to your plight. Personally, I just tell people I have sore feet and search for the nearest chair! :D

Julie on 11/14/03 at 16:26 (137534)

Good point, Aly. I wonder if others, who do know the difference and know they have PF and not heelspurs, bypass the site. Maybe scottr should read this thread.

Kathy G on 11/14/03 at 16:28 (137535)

Julie, you and I are simultaneously posting! What time is it in Jolly Old England? It's 5:28 PM here in windy NH!

Julie on 11/15/03 at 03:04 (137574)

Good morning Kathy

Yes, it's morning already. I went to bed immediately after posting my post at 16.26, when it was 22.26 here in JOE, so I didn't see yours. Too bad! We could have had a chat. Well, of course we still can, except that it's now 4am in NH and you are, I hope fast asleep. Another time!

Re: Thanks for the non-help

Victoria on 11/16/03 at 13:24 (137647)

AT this point I don't care what it's called, Nancy S. I just would like to know why both feet began hurting simultaneously.

Re: But it was a helpful answer...

Carole C in NOLA on 11/16/03 at 13:43 (137649)

Victoria, Nancy's answer was very pertinent to your question but I can tell that you don't see it that way, so maybe I can help bridge the gap.

The reason that both of your feet started hurting at once, instead of just one (since there was only a heelspur in one) is that the heelspur isn't the cause of the pain.

The cause of the pain is the inflammation of the plantar fascia, and there are a number of possible reasons for bilateral inflammation of the plantar fascia. Often too much repetitive physical stress is responsible. Sometimes this happens when a person starts a new exercise program, for example. Another reason could be working on a hard concrete floor for many hours a day.

I hope this helps at least some.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/17/03 at 04:20 (137693)

carole, thank you for elaborating on this; i appreciate it. victoria, by re-posting dr. wander's explanation, i was trying to address your main question. i'm sorry if it came across as 'non-help' to you. i probably would have spent more time explaining the relevance, since it turned out not to be obvious to you, but i responded to you on the eve of a surgery my elderly father was having, which did not go well.

best wishes to you,

Carole C in NOLA on 11/18/03 at 17:46 (137883)

Oh Nancy! I'm so sorry to hear that his surgery did not go well. I'll be hoping and wishing hard for the best for him. Take care.

Carole C

nancy s. on 11/18/03 at 17:53 (137884)

thank you kindly, carole.