Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

had tts surgery still in pain and having lots of swelling

Posted by bluestella on 11/11/03 at 15:33 (137075)

I have a few questions. I still can not walk or anything and had the surgery on may 22nd. It isnt working for me. I went to the drs today and he was talking about getting back into physical therapy which i agree and seeing a chronic pain clinic. But he also said we may have to have an ultrasound of my foot? Just curious on that i have had a bone scan, xrays and an mri. I also am wondering about a spine stimulator he talked about to help my nerves in my lower back region?? Just curious i know nothing about that spine stimulator i read some on the ultrasound and i agree i should do that. Any idea? Foot is still swelling and in lots of pain cant touch it

Re: had tts surgery still in pain and having lots of swelling

Steve G on 11/11/03 at 17:40 (137117)

Stella - I a glad you are getting some help - you have been through the ringer lately. There was a man on the board for a while (Henry C.)who had a stimulator placed for TTS. He discusses it at length in the following thread -

bbt.cgi?n=125774

So, don't despair. They truly have an amazing arsenal of treatments these days for chronic pain. Henry, as you will discover when you read the thread, was at the end of his rope, and the simulator gave him his life back.

Re: had tts surgery still in pain and having lots of swelling

BrianG on 11/12/03 at 19:39 (137298)

Hi Bluestella,

Here is a link to the company that makes the implantable pumps, and stimulators.

http://www.medtronics.com/

I am not sure if the stimulator implant will help you, but it's worth a shot. If you've read anything about Jerry Lewis lately, you'll know he was almost incapacited with chronic pain from back problems. He had the Medtronics stimulator implanted, and it's turned is life around. He was able to do his Labor Day Telethon this year, thanks to the stimulator.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

PS: The company also has implantable pumps, which treat chronic pain with a variety of opiates, and other meds, all mixed in a small reservoir. You need much less, as it's pumped directly into your spinal fluid.