Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To John H......and all Veterans

Posted by Necee on 11/12/03 at 00:13 (137181)

**== Veterans **==

I know that I'm late in wishing you all a Happy Veterans Day.....but better late than never.
For the sacrifices you made, for all the pain and suffering you endured, I say 'THANK YOU', and God bless you all. For if it were not for your service to this country.....and giving your all.....we wouldn't have the freedoms that we all take for granted. Like freedom of speach!

John H.....the story you shared below was heartwarming and very much appreciated. It shows that MOST Americans support our soldiers and our great President.

**==
Necee

Re: To John H......and all Veterans

Necee on 11/12/03 at 00:15 (137182)

Ooops!! I didn't spell 'speech' right...........sorry.
Necee

Lari S. on 11/12/03 at 12:11 (137239)

Thanks, Necee. My son has been home on leave from England and just left today. We all went down to the local parade yesterday. It was amazing to realize that my husband and I got out of the Air Force almost 20 years ago, and now our youngest is in the AF. Made me feel proud to see the turn out, and those that came up and thanked him made him really feel appreciated.
Lari

JudyS on 11/12/03 at 12:52 (137243)

Lari I can only imagine how proud of your son you and his dad are.....
in fact, we're ALL proud of him! And proud of you too for producing a young person who is serving his country in such a noble fashion.

nancy s. on 11/12/03 at 14:41 (137255)

am i allowed to say that i support ALL veterans, including veterans for peace, such as my father?
:-/
@};-
nancy

john h on 11/12/03 at 15:47 (137263)

I never met a veteran who had been in a war that did no like peace. War is scary as hell. If I did what I did for money there is not enough money out there to do it again. There is no one to cheer for you or glory when you are point man on a patrol at the DMZ or flying along the Ho Chi Ming Trail at 200 feet in a helicopter or hit the beaches at Normandy. Most all of us would go back and od it again if called upon. On the daylight B-17 raids into Germany you had a greater than 50% chance of dying. What kind of men do this?.

john h on 11/12/03 at 15:48 (137265)

Lari: What did your husband do in the Air Force?

nancy s. on 11/12/03 at 16:01 (137270)

people like you and my father do it, john. my dad enlisted in the navy for four years, from 1942 to 1946 (he had to beg them to take him, after being rejected because of a physical problem). for two of those years he was on battleships in the pacific, getting shot at and torpedoed. he believed with his whole heart in that cause, and would do it again in a heartbeat. one ship he was on that was torpedoed by the japanese burned and sank, and he was the second-to-last man to jump off -- and one of very few who survived that torpedo. he was injured and lost most of his buddies. he continued to serve in the pacific for another year and a half.

nancy

Lari S. on 11/13/03 at 19:03 (137432)

John, he started out flying F-4's, did a tour in Vietnam with the Black Sheep, and when I met him he was at Randolph as an instructor pilot in the T-37 after having done the same at Williams AFB.
Lari

Re: Ordinary Folks

marie on 11/13/03 at 19:39 (137439)

They are just ordinary men and women like the rest of us and they look like this........
We have a family member burried in Normandy. He graduated from the school I teach at. When he got his brand new B-17 he flew it over the school. All the kids came out of the school and waved at him. He had a crew of 8 men. None of them survived. They were shot down on their 18th mission. Our school mascot is 'the bombers'. There are 6 plaques in front of our school that surround the flag. They are the names of the men who perished during WWII.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3550d9745b2

Lari S. on 11/14/03 at 11:33 (137490)

John, I commend you for all the sacrifices you made for our conutry and the troops in Viet Nam. A good friend of ours flew helos in the Army and he has some wild tales of action there. I'm in awe of the helo guys, they really saw action up close and personal. I agree with you as far as the 'would do it again' even though no one could pay you enough for the danger. My husband is now a captain at United Airlines, but he would have given anything to have been in on the air strikes in Iraq. I think it is just in the blood.
Lari

john h on 11/14/03 at 14:16 (137510)

Lari: It is almost unbelievable but we lost in excess of 6,000 helicopters in Vietnam. My unit lost basically all aircraft and we had to form up with antoher squadron. A couple of my friends went with the Airlines and have now retired. Since it cost several million dollars to train a military jet pilot the airlines knows where to get experience and well trained pilots. After WWII nearly all airline pilots were ex military. I flew DC-6's for 4 years from McGuire all over the world. I left just befor my unit got the Boeing 707's. Sorry I missed out on that. My squadron did fly all the VIP's out of Washington including Cabinet level offficals and Congressman. We had special DC-6's fitted out for them. We also carried three flight attendants and had hot food. Very much like an airline. We always had to be in our Class A uniforms when we went back to the cabin area. I was a young Lt and sometimes I would have a reserve airline pilot come to fly with me for a few weeks. He might have 15,000 hours while I had only 2000 hours and he would be my co-pilot. I felt like an idiot with these guys flying as my co-pilot.

Lari S. on 11/14/03 at 16:50 (137540)

It sounds like you had a very interesting aviation career. My husband has almost 35 years of flying under his belt and thousands of hours. He retires in 2006, but his flying in Viet Nam still remain his worst and best memories.
Lari

John H on 11/14/03 at 18:50 (137552)

Lari: Your husband sort of nailed it when he said it like the opening in a Tale of Two Cites: 'These were the best of times and these were the worst of times'.