Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Handicapped Parking

Posted by R C on 11/12/03 at 10:56 (137223)

Dig this -- I called my doctor's office asking if the doc would help me get a temporary handicapped parking permit. They mailed a completed form to me the next day. Then I had a friend stand in line for me at the DMV for hours, after which I received a permit good for six months(!). This is going to help. Every step that I don't have to take is another step toward recovery.

Re: Handicapped Parking

nancy s. on 11/12/03 at 11:16 (137228)

good for you, R C! you have an enlightened doc. some posters here in the past had a terrible time getting handicapped stickers approved.
i'm glad you didn't have to go through that frustration. as we all know, people with pf have enough difficulty getting around in a store or at work and sure don't need to walk across a big parking lot to get there.

nancy

Lari S. on 11/12/03 at 11:43 (137232)

Wow, I never thought of that. I'll have to ask the Dr. when I go in. Trying to get around has really been a pain, and it will only get worse as the holiday season approaches. Thanks for the update RC!
Lari

Aly on 11/12/03 at 11:59 (137236)

Wow! I thought it would be really hard to get one. Out of curiosity, what state do you live in? Not sure if that makes a difference or not...

marie on 11/12/03 at 14:23 (137252)

I did the same thing. Now I have a permit until 2007. When I feel well I don't use it but it's great to have on those bad days. I definately use it at large events. I feel the same way. Every step I save is a step in the right direction......now I just need to figure out what direction I'm going.

marie

R C on 11/12/03 at 14:44 (137257)

I live in Virginia. I'm pretty sure that handicapped permit rules vary by state.

Necee on 11/12/03 at 21:54 (137319)

I'm glad to hear that someone who really needs a handicap permit gets it.
All too often I see people abusing the system. It just really makes me angry when I see someone (with a permit) parking in a handicap space, when they can walk better than I can.

Necee

Dorothy on 11/12/03 at 22:00 (137320)

I think the handicap permit parking issue is one in which not judging others is a good way to go. It is impossible to tell by looking at someone what their state of health or non-health is; they have may have a heart condition or breathing difficulties that are not immediately apparent but that make walking very arduous for them. Judging from the number of empty handicap-only spots I see in otherwise crowded parking lots, I assume the dishonest use of those spots is unusual. Obviously hobbled walking is certainly not the only way to determine a handicap and, therefore, to judge the rightful use of a parking spot.

Necee on 11/12/03 at 22:53 (137326)

I appreciate your comments Dorothy...but, what I was referring to are those who abuse the system, just as I stated in my post. I see time and time again able bodied people rush to grab a handicap space in their fancy sports car (with permit showing), they get out of their car with no problem at all and briskly walk into the store, I said it then, and I'm saying it again.....that makes me really angry!!!!
And how about those who park in the handicap spaces, (with permit showing), only to have a young person get out and go inside the store.
It happens all too often!
No judgment here......just FACT.

Necee

Dorothy on 11/13/03 at 01:20 (137335)

Not trying to go for the last word on this but it may be 'fact' as you see it. It's just that there are usually many explanations for what we think we are seeing and knowing. I agree with you completely about those who do not need the benefit of the closer parking place but who take it from someone who might need it. You are right about that; it is very inconsiderate and wrong. However, this whole business of using parking lots as politically correct and health assistive arenas seems to me to be misguided and ridiculous. Those 'special spaces' for pregnant women, for example - I find that an absurd notion and I rarely see those used either.
Besides, for most humans - not all, as we all know here - walking distances should be increased, not decreased. Anyway, Necee, I think we have more agreement on the parking space 'cheats' than any disagreement.

Julie on 11/13/03 at 01:47 (137337)

In England there is a ?1000 fine (that's a thousand pounds in case my pound sign doesn't show) for misuse of disabled parking spaces. In the nature of things it isn't always enforced, and it doesn't stop an able-bodied person whose car has the 'Orange Badge' because someone in the family is disabled parking in a disabled space. But it's a deterrent.

Kathy G on 11/13/03 at 09:59 (137369)

There's supposed to be a fine here in NH, too, Julie, but it is seldom enforced. I have no problem with someone who looks fine but hangs a handicapped placard from their rearview mirror which is the procedure here. I don't think I look particularly handicapped and I use my permit if it's a bad day or I'm doing several errands and trying to conserve 'foot strength.' The problem arises when someone who has no authorization uses a handicapped parking space.

I've had a handicapped permit for the last couple of years and one thing that really annoys me is that people so often store shopping carts in the parking spaces designated as handicapped. It won't kill me, with PF, to get out and move them before I use the parking space, but I wonder about some of the people worse off than me. My husband pointed out that it may be the handicapped people getting back into their cars who do it but I wonder. It would seem that they would at least push the carts such that one could access the spots. They, of all people, should understand how difficult it can be for handicapped folks to get around!

But you are so right, RC, using the permit will make your life much less painful!