Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fat Injections for Plantar Faschiitis?

Posted by Julia S. on 11/12/03 at 11:04 (137225)

Dear Doctor,
I saw a portion of a TV news show last week re: fat injections being used for a variety of plastic surgery problems. There was brief mention made about surgeons now injecting fat from the abdominal area in to the balls of the feet to lessen/eliminate foot pain. Their focus was to enable 50+ y.o. women to wear 4' heels comfortably. My question: Is this a technique that might help alleviate/modify/eliminate chronic foot discomfort for me? I have had plantar faschiitis for 14 years. I had tarsal tunnel syndrome surgery 2x in the late 1980's and it lasted for 4 years. Since then, my condition has deteriorated and was firmly diagnosed last year as p.f. after 3+ hrs of neurological testing. Is the fat injection procedure a responsible option? Do you have knowledge as to how to locate an excellent and responsible plastic surgeon in the Midwest who could do such a procedure if it is viable? Sincere thanks, Julia

Re: Fat Injections for Plantar Fasciitis?

Dr. David S. Wander on 11/12/03 at 11:12 (137226)

Fat injections are not a new idea, and was 'pioneered' by a podiatrist named Ed Chairman in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, the results weren't great and were not long term. The procedure was costly, not as effective as patients hoped and would have to be constantly repeated for relief. The bottom line is that this is not a new idea, but is also not an effective treatment option.

Re: Fat Injections for Plantar Fasciitis?

Julia S. on 11/12/03 at 23:54 (137331)

Dear Dr. Wander:
Thank you for your exceptionally quick response to my question. I appreciate your information and your candor. You are providing a wonderful service. My sincere thanks, JT