Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mild archs support

Posted by Bill S on 11/12/03 at 16:37 (137274)

I have been diagnosed with PF in both feet. I have had this for over 3 years now. Did the shots, stretch, tape, etc. It has gotten better but it's still there. I live in Birkenstocks in the evening. What a great sandal. I have been wearing custom orthodics from my Pod for two years now. They are System 3.0 Sport. They have been wonderful in my rockport shoes and in my running shoes. I run about 3 miles twice a week.
Problem is they are rigid and sometimes don't lay down flat enought in some shoes.

Question.. my orthodic has a really mild arch. Not much arch support there but enought to keep me out of pain. Before them I tried OTC products (Powerstep, birkenstock, superfeet) and the arch of these were usually too high and to close to the heal. Feels like a rock under my foot.

Wondering what other inexpensive OTC products would offer this slight arch.
I would love to just find a dress shoe that had a slight arch support but that is very difficult.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Re: Mild archs support

Suzanne D. on 11/12/03 at 17:20 (137278)

Bill, I have a medium to high arch unlike your situation, but I wanted to ask you if you have ever tried on any of the Birkenstock closed-toe shoes. You wrote that you loved the sandals, so I wondered if you had ever had the chance to try any of the shoes. I know that the Footprints line of Birkenstocks have a lower arch - or at least some of them do. They keep changing some of their lines, so I won't say they all do. But some of the dressier shoes are in that line, so maybe you could find something that felt good and had the right amount of arch support.

I have a pair of women's Annapolis in the Footprint line, and I had to have the arch built up some in order to be able to wear them. The arch in them was less than in my Arizona sandals, and less than the Birkenstock inserts that can be bought separately; I have worn those also.

You can read about the different lines of Birkenstock and the amount of arch support in each at http://www.birkenstockexpress.com . If you already knew this information, sorry to go on and on. But just in case it might help, I thought I'd pass the information along.

Best wishes in finding what you need,
Suzanne :)

Re: Mild archs support

Bill S on 11/13/03 at 10:31 (137374)

No, I haven't tried the shoes but have thought about it. I didnt' really like the shape of them for work. I may have to do that.
Thanks for the reply.