Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and bummed

Posted by Ann J on 11/12/03 at 22:04 (137321)

This site has been a big help... I am having a difficult time with this life change. I wish the PF would go away... but i must accept that it is here and continue to do what I can to try to help it. I used to hike 5 miles a day and it is difficult for me staying off my feet. All your support will be greatly appreciated. I got my first accupunture treatment last Friday... it seemed to losen up my foot which was nice. The pain is definately not as bad since I have been chillin' but I am so ready to get back to my normal activities. Thanks for listening. Ann

Re: PF and bummed

Necee on 11/12/03 at 22:40 (137325)

With plenty of rest, and doing the right thing...theres no reason why you can't resume your normal activities. It's just going to take time and patience, along with a lot of therapy.
Do you ice your feet? If not, I'd recommend you start, and also wear the right kind of shoes, Birks work best for me, but their not for everyone.
I know it's frustrating when you hurt, and you want your life back, but it's going to take time, just keep on thinking positive thoughts, and keep posting here, we are all in this together....just knowing that there is someone else out there who understands and knows what your going through means more than anything.
All the best to you...

Necee

R C on 11/12/03 at 23:47 (137330)

Have you thought about swimming?

I used to run every day, but my PF put that to an end. Due to the resulting inactivity, I gained about 25 pounds in the space of two years. One day I made a decision to do something about it. I went to JC Penney, and bought 5 towels. Those are the towels that I take to the pool, and I go 5 times a week. I was a terrible swimmer when I started out. And now, over a year later, I'm still a terrible swimmer. But, I'm back to my college weight, I can fit into every pair of jeans in my closet, I have the blood pressure of a teenager, I have some new friends, and I think my foot even feels a bit better. Iam certain that all the endorphins and serotonin flooding my brain do positive things for my mood and sense of well-being. I recommend it as the surrogate for your daily 5 mile hike.

Re: Re:Swimming

Julie on 11/13/03 at 01:43 (137336)

Ann

That was a great plug for swimming from RC, to which I'd like to add my voice. Swimming has always been my exercise of choice, and of course it was a boon when my PF was active. It's the best all-around exercise for anyone, both cardiovascularly and all-over-stretch-wise, and because it's non weight-bearing it's the best choice for people with PF. I recall one or two saying in the past that even swimming hurts their feet - but most people are ok with it.

Rick R on 11/13/03 at 07:03 (137352)

RC,

How have you managed to protect your feet? I tried the pool in the bad old days and just dealing with the barefoot thing was too much. They wouldn't let me wear running shoes poolside so that was that.

Unfortunately I'm at my college weight too. I sure wish it was made out of the same stuff.

Rick

Ann J. on 11/13/03 at 07:28 (137356)

Thanks to all of you!! What great support you are!! I asked on the foot and orthotic section about shoes. I have gotten the brand names that are the best but I am wondering if you can buy any shoe in those name brands!? Your suggestions are definately appreciated!! Thanks again! Ann

Re: Protecting feet at the pool

R C on 11/13/03 at 08:03 (137360)

My PF was about 90% under control when I started going to the pool, so it wasn't a major problem. Taping was enough to protect my feet on the way in. The tape would disintegrate in about 15 minutes during my laps. On the way out,the swim does something that enables me to walk pain free with no tape, at least long enough to the locker to get re- taped.

Another idea -- they do sell such thing as shower shoes that might be allowed poolside.

Re: Protecting feet at the pool

Julie on 11/13/03 at 09:14 (137367)

Birkenstock make a waterproof version of their Arizona sandal, called 'Birkie'. I use them at the pool and they're fine. The material, being synthetic, has less 'give', so they're not as comfortable - I wouldn't like to walk any distance in them, but they do the poolside job.

Aly on 11/13/03 at 12:42 (137392)

I'd try the waterproof Birks, b/c I'm guessing they give good support, but I recently discovered they make aquatic running shoes now, specifically for pool use only. Perhaps the pool would allow them since they're just for that activity. I did a search online for 'water shoes' -one example of these is found at:

http://www.waterworkout.com/store/products?category=shoes#raf

Let us know how you make out! :)

Aly

marie on 11/13/03 at 19:07 (137433)

Rest, rest and more rest. Keep off your feet but don't forget to keep yourself fit. I did a little non weight baring exercise every day when I was at my worst. I love to hike in the woods and in the wilderness as well. The hardest time for me was not being able to get out and hike like I use to.

The others have all seen these photos but I'll post again for you. There is life after pf. It took a long time and I can only do a couple miles in the woods but I'm not complaining. These are about a month old. In a year or two you'll be sharing your photos.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3513ec48451

best wishes marie

Dorothy on 11/13/03 at 20:12 (137441)

Who's Annie? I'm confused. Is Aey your name? How do you pronounce that?
I still love the photos.

marie on 11/13/03 at 21:37 (137455)

It's only part of my last name. My first name is annie....it is actually nick name my brothers gave me. It had something to do with the pair of six shooters I wore for protection as a child...my brothers are 10 and 13 years older than me...I got tickled alot. For some reason I thought my cowboy guns would protect me. I never go by my real first name as I don't really like it. My brothers were responsible for that too....my parents let them name me. Marie is my middle name and the one I prefer to use on the Internet. My brothers and other family and friends refer to me as Ann Marie and or Annie. So for the internet I just shortened it to marie years ago. I have and always will be marie here. I wouldn't know who you were talking to if I wasn't marie.:D

marie, aka annie, ann marie, bannana nose, Mrs. Artster, and Missy (don't ask about that one}

Dorothy on 11/13/03 at 21:47 (137457)

Fun and funny! It's a pretty name, actually, Ann Marie.
Banana nose?? As in - it looks like a ...? or putting fruit into....??
Well, either way, your earlier photos did not look like a 'banana nose.'